New gaming build with 2000€ budget

Daniel1014

Hello everyone!

I'd like to ask you all for some help building a new PC. I currently own an ASUS G74S Laptop from around 7 years ago and I've finally managed to save up for a desktop but I can't seem to make sense of all the GPU's and CPU's out there so I'm not sure about the choices I've made in my list.

• My budget is around 2000€ to 2200€
  • I don't wan't or need special consideration for the aesthetics of the build. I don't care how it looks so long as it performs well!

• The things I need the PC to do are: Play The Witcher 3 at max settings and do some work in photo editing and graphic design software such as Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator, In Design and the likes

• I only need 1 monitor, around 24 to 27 inches with good color reproduction. In a perfect world it would be a 1440p @ 144Hz monitor but for now I'll be happy with 1440p @ 60Hz.

• Upgrading from a laptop I will also need mouse and keyboard but I'm thinking of buying cheap ones now and upgrading later.

With these things in mind I created a preliminary list of parts about witch I would appreciate your feedback:

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Octa-Core 3.4GHz c/ Turbo 3.8GHz 16MB - 339,90 €

Motherboard ATX MSI B350 Gaming Plus - 89.90€

Water Cooler CPU Cooler Master MasterLiquid 120 - 79.90€

RAM G.SKILL Aegis 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3000MHz CL16 - 199.50€

Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Preta - 104.90€

Nox Hummer GD850W - 99.90€

LG GH24NS 24X DVD±RW SATA - 17,90€

Dell UltraSharp U2518D IPS 25" QHD 16:9 60Hz - 389,90€

SSD 2.5" SanDisk Plus 480GB MLC SATA - 139,90€

3.5" Toshiba DT01ACA 2TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA III - 71,90€

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G - 599,90€

I'm still missing a fresh copy of Windows 10 so I might try to get a cheaper case and maybe a 250GB SSD to make up for the difference, or maybe an air cooler instead of a liquid one.

Also, I have no particular brand allegiance (even though all my previous computers had Intel CPU's and Nvidia GPU's), so feel free to present alternatives from other brands.

So, do you guys and gals think this a good machine for the money and for what I need it to do? 

The 8700K apparently out performs the Ryzen 7, so I used it instead, next to that it's a decent PC, tho i think it's kinda overpriced for what you get, which is region based I think.

Getting a 144hz monitor right now is kinda a waste of money because some games including witcher 3 can't get to 144 fps...

I used the France version of PC builder so idk how accurate it is... Tho I can say one thing, the 212 EVO is cheaper in the states...

The reason for the 3 fans is for the case, 2 in 1 out, the in ones are the front and left, the out is the right side by the GPU.

The 1070 Ti just Overclock to get 1080 performance...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  (€396.97 @ Amazon France) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler  (€31.99 @ Amazon France) 
Motherboard: MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€104.84 @ Amazon France) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€254.70 @ Amazon France) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€98.48 @ Amazon France) 
Storage: Toshiba - 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€73.95 @ LDLC) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB ARMOR Video Card  (€489.99 @ Amazon France) 
Case: Cooler Master - Force 500 ATX Mid Tower Case  (€39.02 @ Amazon France) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€104.95 @ LDLC) 
Optical Drive: Pioneer - BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  (€66.89 @ Amazon France) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro Full - USB 32/64-bit  (€124.90 @ Amazon France) 
Case Fan: Cooler Master - Blade Master 76.8 CFM  120mm Fan  (€19.11 @ Amazon France) 
Case Fan: Cooler Master - Blade Master 76.8 CFM  120mm Fan  (€19.11 @ Amazon France) 
Monitor: Asus - VA32AQ 31.5" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor  (€329.99 @ Amazon France) 
Total: €2174.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-07 00:08 CET+0100

thanks for taking the time!

I'll have to compare this list to what I can find in stores since I most likely won't be buying online, that's the reason for my parts list not being from PcPartPicker, most of the time I couldn't find the same part or the same price so I looked directly at the site of the store I'm likely to go by the parts in.

I am curious as to why you selected a pro version of windows, are there features worth paying the extra for? Also I might not go for a blu-ray reader (just a regular DVD one) since I don't own any media in that format, and i't something that I can add later. The monitor is something I'm also not sure about, I actually think 31.5" might be to big! I'll have to go to a store and compare monitor sizes in person. Coming from my 17" screen that one just seems intimidatingly big!

Again, thanks for answering my post you help is greatly appreciated!

On 1/6/2018 at 9:38 PM, Daniel1014 said:

thanks for taking the time!

I'll have to compare this list to what I can find in stores since I most likely won't be buying online, that's the reason for my parts list not being from PcPartPicker, most of the time I couldn't find the same part or the same price so I looked directly at the site of the store I'm likely to go by the parts in.

I am curious as to why you selected a pro version of windows, are there features worth paying the extra for? Also I might not go for a blu-ray reader (just a regular DVD one) since I don't own any media in that format, and i't something that I can add later. The monitor is something I'm also not sure about, I actually think 31.5" might be to big! I'll have to go to a store and compare monitor sizes in person. Coming from my 17" screen that one just seems intimidatingly big!

Again, thanks for answering my post you help is greatly appreciated!

No problem :)

I kinda figured because the pricing didn't add up. But this way you have a second configuration with pricing, even if pricing is out by 10%.

I chose Pro due to pricing on PPP to show price in the build including OS, if home is cheaper go for it, pro offers no real benefit for most users.

Yea 31.5 is massive but it's also partially due to the selection on the french side of the site which limits my selection. I dont think you will be disappointed in the size and quality of video playback (if possible view it before buying the monitor above, if you decide to go for it) but the jump of nearly double will shock you. I came from a 17" square screen to a 24 wide, I now have 2 24 wide (for about 8 months) and searching for the 3rds base xD, so I know the feeling, but I have no regrets on going bigger :)

For the Blu-ray it was just speculation and kinda a display of the fact the pc could become your personal media center in the home as well, esp with the screen I chose. Assuming the pricing is the same one could actually possibly upgrade the ram to 64GB (499 was the cheapest found, tho 64 is extreme) or get a better gpu etc.

8 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

No problem :)

I kinda figured because the pricing didn't add up. But this way you have a second configuration with pricing, even if pricing is out by 10%.

I chose Pro due to pricing on PPP to show price in the build including OS, if home is cheaper go for it, pro offers no real benefit for most users.

Yea 31.5 is massive but it's also partially due to the selection on the french side of the site which limits my selection. I dont think you will be disappointed in the size and quality of video playback (if possible view it before buying the monitor above, if you decide to go for it) but the jump of nearly double will shock you. I came from a 17" square screen to a 24 wide, I now have 2 24 wide (for about 8 months) and searching for the 3rds base xD, so I know the feeling, but I have no regrets on going bigger :)

For the Blu-ray it was just speculation and kinda a display of the fact the pc could become your personal media center in the home as well, esp with the screen I chose. Assuming the pricing is the same one could actually possibly upgrade the ram to 64GB (499 was the cheapest found, tho 64 is extreme) or get a better gpu etc.

I'm going to go with the home version of windows (witch is only slightly less expensive than the pro version you selected, pro would be around 160€!). For the monitor I found the  BENQ GW2765HE to be interesting in terms of price and size; anything bigger is sort of out of budget buying from the store I'm going to and because of other parts I've looked at and changed from the lists.

My main concern now is the CPU.

I've seen the news that AMD will be launching the new Ryzen's with the same AM4 socket in April. I don't want to wait that long but getting a board with a socket that will be supported for several generations of CPU's just seems like a good choice (and with the whole Intel Meltdown situation and a patch that apparently will decrease performance I'm leaning slightly towards AMD). Also since I'll be gaming at 60Hz I'm wondering if a Ryzen would be enough not to be a bottleneck.

Any sage advice on that?