Two routers, one is cable modem best way to use both?

Columbo

I am stuck with the cable modem with built in wifi router wireless AC 1750 as my primary router because it's the cable modem and it's tied to my home security system. My main router is the excellent Netgear R6400 also a wireless AC1750 router. I had the Netgear as the only router until I upgraded my cable package a few months ago. I had the R6400 daisy chained running like it alway had but not in bridged mode but connected to the cable modem gigabit port. I was bored so I upgraded the firmware and found a Netgear AP setting so I gave that a whirl today. I run most of my wireless traffic through the Netgear and one Roku 4K TV through the cable modem router and two wired PC's through that router. 

The question. What is the best option to use. I was impressed how the AP mode automatically did everything and all I had to do was login to my cable modem and find the path to my netgear router and everything was the same. I use readyshare which gives me a USB 2TB mini server via a USB 3 port. Very slow but a novelty and that still works.By running the R6400 as an AP am I losing out on routing that could help lesson the load on the cable modem router? 

It was essentially running in bridged mode without setting it in the router as bridged mode before. Basically daisy chained by simply plugging the netgear into the cable modem. I am a novice in the networking arena but I can figure things out. I am just concerned that I may not be doing things correctly. 

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

If you're worried about the load on the router provided by your ISP, you can just use that for your in-home security system, and run a patch cable from the ethernet port on the ISP router/modem to your new router. Then you can turn off the SSID broadcasting for the ISP router and have all the traffic using the dedicated router.

Last thing you'd want to do is overload the router in control of your security system and some night someone breaks in, but oops, your router needed to be rebooted.

So should I keep both routers in router mode? My security system uses wifi, its backed by an UPS power supply. Do I need to turn on bridge mode on my Netgear router? 

1 hour ago, Columbo said:

I am stuck with the cable modem with built in wifi router wireless AC 1750 as my primary router because it's the cable modem and it's tied to my home security system. My main router is the excellent Netgear R6400 also a wireless AC1750 router. I had the Netgear as the only router until I upgraded my cable package a few months ago. I had the R6400 daisy chained running like it alway had but not in bridged mode but connected to the cable modem gigabit port. I was bored so I upgraded the firmware and found a Netgear AP setting so I gave that a whirl today. I run most of my wireless traffic through the Netgear and one Roku 4K TV through the cable modem router and two wired PC's through that router. 

The question. What is the best option to use. I was impressed how the AP mode automatically did everything and all I had to do was login to my cable modem and find the path to my netgear router and everything was the same. I use readyshare which gives me a USB 2TB mini server via a USB 3 port. Very slow but a novelty and that still works.By running the R6400 as an AP am I losing out on routing that could help lesson the load on the cable modem router? 

It was essentially running in bridged mode without setting it in the router as bridged mode before. Basically daisy chained by simply plugging the netgear into the cable modem. I am a novice in the networking arena but I can figure things out. I am just concerned that I may not be doing things correctly. 

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

post a few screenshots of devices wireless advanced settings (as maybe you can do multiple ssid with one router allowing a seperate rules each ssid)

also what options does it have for lan ports

note that some netgears have wireless repeater mode settings too