Question about M.2 drive compatibility

Hello, so I had a question about how motherboards handle lane assignments for M.2 Drives. I notice in several manuals, the M.2 slots will have a description saying it can be SATA mode, SATA and PCIE 3.0 mode, or just PCIE 3.0 mode. Additional notes will indicate when a SATA enable M.2 device is used in SATA mode, a specified SATA port will be disabled. So my question is if and M.2 device is used in PCIE 3.0 mode, such as an NVME drive, would it not disable any SATA ports and you could in fact use all 6 SATA ports + an NVME drive?

This makes sense to me, but I wanted some clarification because of something else I found. In the manual for Asus Maximus IX Hero, it is specifices that when the the first M.2 slot (SATA & PCIE 3.0 mode) is used in SATA mode, SATA 1 is disabled, but then goes on to say that if the second M.2 slot (PCIE 3.0 mode only) is used in PCIE 3.0 mode, SATA 5 and SATA 6 are disabled. Why would this happen assuming M.2 devices in PCIE mode aren't touching the SATA bus? Is this assumption completely wrong or is there something unusual going on with this board?

has nothing to do with SATA bus(?), but with the chipset lane assignments.

depending on chipset, they too have lane availability. use of too many devices (chipset) the motherboard mannies have to make a decision on what resources can be shut off to comply with users selection. the newer coffeelake (Z370-series) added more lanes to enable more secondary devices (dual M.2, i believe the 4k decoding and more).

2 minutes ago, airdeano said:

has nothing to do with SATA bus(?), but with the chipset lane assignments.

depending on chipset, they too have lane availability. use of too many devices (chipset) the motherboard mannies have to make a decision on what resources can be shut off to comply with users selection. the newer coffeelake (Z370-series) added more lanes to enable more secondary devices (dual M.2, i believe the 4k decoding and more).

Ahhhh sweet. That's what I thought it was, but I didn't know for sure and I didn't want to give the OP wrong information.

....I also didn't know how to word it intelligently :P

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, airdeano said:

-SNIP-

So would it be safe to assume then, that if the manual doesn't specify that SATA ports are being disabled with an M.2 device in PCIE mode, that none are disabled and I can use an NVME drive with all 6 SATA ports still?

Brrr - it's freezin' in Pensacola!  48° F and raining here in Vancouver, BC.  (Thinks ... 4 lanes for PCIe NVMe SSDs - right?)  Brrr! 

i7-6850K Kraken X62  Strix X99  G.Skill RGB EVGA Hybrid 1070 + Asus 1070 SLI'd   Plextor NVMe  2 Hynix SSDs Raid 0  WD HDD  EVGA Supernova  Win10  NZXT H440  Asus Claymore Core  Corsair Sabre  Steam Batarang  Acer XR342CK Ultra-Wide  Monsoon Planars  Novell coffee mug  Ryzen, Haswell, Vishera

specifically, the M9H?

from the M9H manual:

if you run 1 M.2 in the M.2_1 slot as PCIe (nVME), all SATA is available. if you run M.2_1 slot as SATA, SATA6G_1 is shutdown to conform to chipset allowance of 6-SATA ports.

if you run PCIe in slot one and wish to run a second M.2 (SATA x2 SATA6G_56 is available, but run it PCIe x4 SATA6G_56 is unavailable) things are different as x2 is under the lane demand, x4 puts it over lane demand so SATA6G_56 is shutdown to preserve 2 more lanes to make the M.2_2 slot function x4 (PCIe). dunna know if both M.2 are populated with SATA if you loose both SATA6G_1 and SATA6G_56. prolly not as the lane assignments aren't full, but the SATA devices aren't either. trial-and-error on that last scenario.

12 minutes ago, airdeano said:

-SNIP-

Not on the M9H specifically, just if the manual for any given motherboard doesn't specify that any SATA ports will be disabled if an M.2 device is used in PCIE Mode (like how the M9H does) is it generally safe to assume that all the SATA ports are still enabled?

nope, not to assume anything between manufacturers or even model types.

consult the manual or manufacturer customer support. to damn expensive to guess someone else's 'coding' works on all applications, it doesn't.