need help with corsair rmx cables

Justin1311

hi all this is my first time makeing custom psu cables if i choose to do so and i need some help i want to get the black/silver/red look like shown here https://mod-one.com/custom-sleeved-corsair-power-supply-cable-16-pin-pcie-2-x-8pin/

but i will be buying everything from dazmods in Canada, they have already sleeved cablkes that i just need to attack to a terminal or i can do it all myself my question is what terminals, connector pins, guage of wire, heat shrink, and mainly power supply connectors do i need? https://www.dazmode.com/store/product-category/modding/cable-connectors/

im very new to this aspect of pc modding so all help would be great 

Why not use the CableMod configurator, you can configure your colors and exact cables and then they will send the stuff to you. Personally, I have no idea why you would opt to try to put together a cable set of your own considering what the PSU actually does and how important it is to your system and the issues that could follow if even one cable has a loose connection. 

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

2 minutes ago, Unimaginative Name said:

Why not use the CableMod configurator, you can configure your colors and exact cables and then they will send the stuff to you. Personally, I have no idea why you would opt to try to put together a cable set of your own considering what the PSU actually does and how important it is to your system and the issues that could follow if even one cable has a loose connection. 

i have cablemod atm the black and red ones but i want something different and it would cost me about 200 usd to have them do it for me so its alot cheaper to do it myself and its that pride factor

6 minutes ago, Justin1311 said:

i have cablemod atm the black and red ones but i want something different and it would cost me about 200 usd to have them do it for me so its alot cheaper to do it myself and its that pride factor

I understand that; just wondering. I bought CableMod extensions, but I only wanted one color. You could do a google search for power supply wire gauge. With that being said, it doesn't appear that dazmode has terminals for Corsair RMx series power supplies and power supply connectors are not cross compatible. Have you looked into configuring custom CableMod extensions rather than full cables?

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

2 minutes ago, Unimaginative Name said:

I understand that; just wondering. I bought CableMod extensions, but I only wanted one color. You could do a google search for power supply wire gauge. With that being said, it doesn't appear that dazmode has terminals for Corsair RMx series power supplies and power supply connectors are not cross compatible. Have you looked into configuring custom CableMod extensions rather than full cables?

i have i still think it would be cheaper to do it myself  and who would you recommend for terminals? 

3 minutes ago, Justin1311 said:

i have i still think it would be cheaper to do it myself  and who would you recommend for terminals? 

mod-one does have loose connectors, but I have no idea about the compatibility. I did find this guide from 2005 on how to do exactly what you're trying to do. It seems like a monumental pain in the ass and each cable takes like 4 hours or more. Good luck.

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Unimaginative Name said:

mod-one does have loose connectors, but I have no idea about the compatibility. I did find this guide from 2005 on how to do exactly what you're trying to do. It seems like a monumental pain in the ass and each cable takes like 4 hours or more. Good luck.

ok thanks for your help 

2 hours ago, Justin1311 said:

hi all this is my first time makeing custom psu cables if i choose to do so and i need some help i want to get the black/silver/red look like shown here https://mod-one.com/custom-sleeved-corsair-power-supply-cable-16-pin-pcie-2-x-8pin/

but i will be buying everything from dazmods in Canada, they have already sleeved cablkes that i just need to attack to a terminal or i can do it all myself my question is what terminals, connector pins, guage of wire, heat shrink, and mainly power supply connectors do i need? https://www.dazmode.com/store/product-category/modding/cable-connectors/

im very new to this aspect of pc modding so all help would be great 

Motherboard Side:

ATX (24 -Pin)

EPS (8-Pin and/or 4-Pin)

GPU (This will be based on GPU you use. It will be 8-Pin and/or 6-Pin)

Sata & Molex is straight forward

-------

PSU Side

-------

ATX - you need to take a look at your default cable and count the two connectors. Since I can't tell you since connectors can be different from PSU to PSU.

EPS - 8 -Pin

GPU - 8-Pin

Sata & Molex - you need 6-pin perf connector. Most pcie connector will work, There are two versions, You need to match up the slots with your PSU.

-------------

Wire - 16 AWG (It usually has an OD of 2mm or 2.5mm)

Terminals - Female Mini Fit Jr (for all connectors except for Sata & Molex). It's usually cheaper just to buy a Reel of Molex Mini Fit Jr. from Mouser.

Heatshrink will be based of the size of sleeving you buy. When using MDPC-X Sleeving, 6mm heatshrink will work just fine even if it's 2:1. MDPC-X heatshrink is 4:1.

You also need a Soldering Iron, a Crimper, Wire Strippers and lighters.

Also make sure you know how to solder since you need to make atlease three Y Cables

---------

Dazmode DIY wires are missing Y Cables, So those wires will only work for EPS & GPU.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

2 hours ago, Unimaginative Name said:

If your know what your doing it wouldn't even take an hour to do a cable (Except for ATX cable).

14 hours ago, Revan654 said:

Motherboard Side:

ATX (24 -Pin)

EPS (8-Pin and/or 4-Pin)

GPU (This will be based on GPU you use. It will be 8-Pin and/or 6-Pin)

Sata & Molex is straight forward

-------

PSU Side

-------

ATX - you need to take a look at your default cable and count the two connectors. Since I can't tell you since connectors can be different from PSU to PSU.

EPS - 8 -Pin

GPU - 8-Pin

Sata & Molex - you need 6-pin perf connector. Most pcie connector will work, There are two versions, You need to match up the slots with your PSU.

-------------

Wire - 16 AWG (It usually has an OD of 2mm or 2.5mm)

Terminals - Female Mini Fit Jr (for all connectors except for Sata & Molex). It's usually cheaper just to buy a Reel of Molex Mini Fit Jr. from Mouser.

Heatshrink will be based of the size of sleeving you buy. When using MDPC-X Sleeving, 6mm heatshrink will work just fine even if it's 2:1. MDPC-X heatshrink is 4:1.

You also need a Soldering Iron, a Crimper, Wire Strippers and lighters.

Also make sure you know how to solder since you need to make atlease three Y Cables

---------

Dazmode DIY wires are missing Y Cables, So those wires will only work for EPS & GPU.

thanks you this is very helpfull what would i need a y splitter for and the psu is a corsair rm1000x https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/TnyFwV

20 hours ago, Justin1311 said:

thanks you this is very helpfull what would i need a y splitter for and the psu is a corsair rm1000x https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/TnyFwV

1. All PSU cables have Y cables(aka Double Wire), check your default cables you will notice a double wire (it's usually double crimped). Going from 24 Pin connector and splitting to the two PSU side connector. You also have allot of crossing wires.

2. I never used Corsair, not 100% on the PSU side count. You can just quickly count the number of slots. For EVGA it's 10 & 18.

If you have a good enough crimper you can do a double crimp in the middle, it is a bit tricky but you don't have to solder if you get a good enough crimp.

Method One (Double Crimp):

sJhu7QKl.jpg

or

Method Two(Solder):

B3uhn14l.jpg

Once Sleeved it will look like the following:

irH5LGjl.jpg

and once merged it will look like this:

X41DgQil.jpg

There are a bunch of crossing wires which can not be avoided.

-------

Also make sure you have the correct pin out for your PSU.

782d7776_CorsairRM750.jpeg

Link: http://www.overclock.net/t/1420796/repository-of-power-supply-pin-outs