Questions about DAC/AMP and Mic soundcards

Ian2

I got a couple of questions about the Fiio E10k and a sound card for a mod mic 5.

I've read that if my onboard sound or sound card is making buzzing noises in my headphones then I should buy a DAC/AMP (also for better sound) or try to get the cable away from any other cables.

I decided I want to buy a DAC/AMP and I'm wondering if a Fiio e10k is a good choice. Also if there is any good recommendations for a USB sound card for the mod mic 5 since all my friends are telling me its quiet and a bit muffled.

I'd recommend a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. It's mean't for music producers who need a cheaper amp for 100 bucks yet works like a f****** charm!

I'm going to assume you're using a desktop, I've found that using the front connectors gave me worse quality than plugging them into the back of the computer. If you sound quiet it's probably because your sound drivers aren't properly installed and you're using Windows 10's auto drivers, it's fucking up everyone's mics.

7 minutes ago, Sack said:

I'm going to assume you're using a desktop, I've found that using the front connectors gave me worse quality than plugging them into the back of the computer. If you sound quiet it's probably because your sound drivers aren't properly installed and you're using Windows 10's auto drivers, it's fucking up everyone's mics.

Gonna check my my drivers now, thanks :)

17 minutes ago, VaneBlade said:

I'd recommend a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. It's mean't for music producers who need a cheaper amp for 100 bucks yet works like a f****** charm!

Presonus has a great lineup of this kind of gear as well. The Audiobox USB is pretty widely used in the audio production world.

All FIIO products have very good value in terms of price to performance. Arguably you get what you pay for, FIIO has a reputation of being the poor man's amp and there are many better alternatives but none will beat FIIO at its price point. With the exception of upper tier motherboards, any FIIO amp will still deliver better sound quality than most built-in sound cards can achieve.

But your plan to buy a USB sound card for your mic might solve your problem with audio noise. You see, an external USB sound card is simply a DAC that replaces your on-board sound card. The Sennheiser GSX-1000 and GSX-1200 is worth a look. A bit pricey, but it's  designed specifically for gaming and the best surround sound implementation I've heard so far. It works best with open back headphones. It also has noise cancellation for the microphone but lacks gain control.    

Another alternative is a gaming headset like the Logitech G633. When you connect it via USB, it's built-in DAC takes over your on-board sound card. You can use with other devices too because it can connect via 3.5mm jacks. Logitech also did a great job with the audio driver. The sound quality is comparable to high end headphones. 

I'm wondering if you've tried connecting your headphone directly to the headphone jack of your motherboard instead of the front panel.    

On 1/5/2018 at 6:37 PM, D4nt3 said:

All FIIO products have very good value in terms of price to performance. Arguably you get what you pay for, FIIO has a reputation of being the poor man's amp and there are many better alternatives but none will beat FIIO at its price point. With the exception of upper tier motherboards, any FIIO amp will still deliver better sound quality than most built-in sound cards can achieve.

But your plan to buy a USB sound card for your mic might solve your problem with audio noise. You see, an external USB sound card is simply a DAC that replaces your on-board sound card. The Sennheiser GSX-1000 and GSX-1200 is worth a look. A bit pricey, but it's  designed specifically for gaming and the best surround sound implementation I've heard so far. It works best with open back headphones. It also has noise cancellation for the microphone but lacks gain control.    

Another alternative is a gaming headset like the Logitech G633. When you connect it via USB, it's built-in DAC takes over your on-board sound card. You can use with other devices too because it can connect via 3.5mm jacks. Logitech also did a great job with the audio driver. The sound quality is comparable to high end headphones. 

I'm wondering if you've tried connecting your headphone directly to the headphone jack of your motherboard instead of the front panel.    

I've tried that and it made no difference.

I'm going to give one of those usb soundcards a try and order the Fiio.

Thanks mate :D

On 1/4/2018 at 1:22 PM, Ian2 said:

I got a couple of questions about the Fiio E10k and a sound card for a mod mic 5.

I've read that if my onboard sound or sound card is making buzzing noises in my headphones then I should buy a DAC/AMP (also for better sound) or try to get the cable away from any other cables.

I decided I want to buy a DAC/AMP and I'm wondering if a Fiio e10k is a good choice. Also if there is any good recommendations for a USB sound card for the mod mic 5 since all my friends are telling me its quiet and a bit muffled.

I used to have the same problem with my modmic 4. A usb interface like the one I am linking below will filter out the EMI and make it sound louder, less muffled, and less static-y.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515436828&sr=8-1&keywords=sabrent%2Busb&th=1

We technically recommend the Syba version, model CM-UAUD of @kxrider85's same deal. Either should work though.

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

On 1/8/2018 at 1:43 PM, kxrider85 said:

I used to have the same problem with my modmic 4. A usb interface like the one I am linking below will filter out the EMI and make it sound louder, less muffled, and less static-y.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515436828&sr=8-1&keywords=sabrent%2Busb&th=1

Thanks, going to give it a shot