Buying a Ubiquiti access point.

AlanAlan

I want to buy an access point to extend the wifi coverage in my home. I have heard many people recommending ubiquiti access point because of POE. There are many ubiquiti access points and I don't know which one to get. If I do get the ubiquiti ap is it hard to setup?

First off, what kind of budget do you have and what distances do you need to cover? Their cheaper ones like the UAP-AC-Lite are great for dorms, studios or mid size apartments while the UAP-AC-Pro is more designed for large installations.

In terms of easy usage, I'd say that they are about a 6 out of 10. If you know about ip addresses and basic networking, it's pretty easy. If not, then it might be better just to get a consumer router.

My native language is C++

They are pretty damn great. Just find the one that will match all the devices in your house the best. I have two of the AP AC Pros in my house and can get a usable signal about 4-5 houses away on my iPhone. Setup is pretty simple, and you really don't have to touch the software after you set it up the first time. Just find the one that matches your price range the best. If you only plan on getting one, get the AC Lite or AC Pro depending on your budget.

10 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

First off, what kind of budget do you have and what distances do you need to cover? Their cheaper ones like the UAP-AC-Lite are great for dorms, studios or mid size apartments while the UAP-AC-Pro is more designed for large installations.

In terms of easy usage, I'd say that they are about a 6 out of 10. If you know about ip addresses and basic networking, it's pretty easy. If not, then it might be better just to get a consumer router.

I have a budget of $120 and I'm planning on to cover just half of my home because the other half is covered by my isp modem.

2 minutes ago, PooIs said:

They are pretty damn great. Just find the one that will match all the devices in your house the best. I have two of the AP AC Pros in my house and can get a usable signal about 4-5 houses away on my iPhone. Setup is pretty simple, and you really don't have to touch the software after you set it up the first time. Just find the one that matches your price range the best. If you only plan on getting one, get the AC Lite or AC Pro depending on your budget.

I was planning onto get this one but I wasn't sure.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C{creative}%2C{keyword}&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI78uftqu92AIVCsZkCh3f9gV3EAYYASABEgJIYvD_BwE&is=REG&m=Y&sku=1184038

Go with the AC Pro then, it's a bit more than $120, but you'll be able to put it pretty much wherever you want and have good coverage. Just remember that you'll have to run an Ethernet cable to the POE injector and to the access point. If you are renting, check with your landlord for what you can do to the property before installing it.

Just now, AlanAlan said:

I have a budget of $120 and I'm planning on to cover just half of my home because the other half is covered by my isp modem.

Well assuming that you know about basic IP stuff, then I would recommend getting the UAP-AC-LR. It's perfect for your budget.

If you decide to purchase, I will save you some trouble by telling you that as long as you only have one AP running, you don't need to keep the Unifi software running all the time. The software is only required to run if you have 2 or more access points running.

Also, With the way the antennas are built into the case, a good thing to know is that you will get the best reception if the top (round side) of the AP is facing somewhere in your direction. The back of the device does not have very good range.

Just now, PooIs said:

Go with the AC Pro then, it's a bit more than $120, but you'll be able to put it pretty much wherever you want and have good coverage. Just remember that you'll have to run an Ethernet cable to the POE injector and to the access point. If you are renting, check with your landlord for what you can do to the property before installing it.

Do you know hows the coverage on the AC Lite?

4 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

Well assuming that you know about basic IP stuff, then I would recommend getting the UAP-AC-LR. It's perfect for your budget.

If you decide to purchase, I will save you some trouble by telling you that as long as you only have one AP running, you don't need to keep the Unifi software running all the time. The software is only required to run if you have 2 or more access points running.

Also, With the way the antennas are built into the case, a good thing to know is that you will get the best reception if the top (round side) of the AP is facing somewhere in your direction. The back of the device does not have very good range.

the top side is the side with the blue ring right?

Is this the model you are talking about?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C{creative}%2C{keyword}&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2Nawn7C92AIVj15-Ch2J9QBOEAYYASABEgKo1vD_BwE&is=REG&m=Y&sku=1189144

It says around 400 feet (for the AC Lite), but that is with no obstructions. You can adjust the power going to the antenna to extend the range a bit, but I'd say it's going to be around 250 feet in any direction from the point where it's placed. You also have to take into consideration the building materials that are used in your house/apartment. If it's an older building, and not drywall, that may affect your signal.

Just now, AlanAlan said:

Yes that's it.

It's actually up to you to choose between the LR and the Pro. Both in theory have equal range, but the pro has faster antennas. I personally don't think that the extra speed makes a big difference but it's up to you.

4 minutes ago, PooIs said:

It says around 400 feet (for the AC Lite), but that is with no obstructions. You can adjust the power going to the antenna to extend the range a bit, but I'd say it's going to be around 250 feet in any direction from the point where it's placed. You also have to take into consideration the building materials that are used in your house/apartment. If it's an older building, and not drywall, that may affect your signal.

3 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

Yes that's it.

It's actually up to you to choose between the LR and the Pro. Both in theory have equal range, but the pro has faster antennas. I personally don't think that the extra speed makes a big difference but it's up to you.

Do you guys think it is better to mount it on the ceiling or on a wall. If I mount it on the wall the top side will be facing the opposite direction of where I need coverage.

1 minute ago, AlanAlan said:

Do you guys think it is better to mount it on the ceiling or on a wall. If I mount it on the wall the top side will be facing the opposite direction of where I need coverage.

Ceiling

Mount to the ceiling if you can. It will net you the best performance.

13 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

Ceiling

12 minutes ago, PooIs said:

Thanks guys. I look into the LR and the Pro

14 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

Ceiling

13 minutes ago, PooIs said:

Hey, while I was on BH Photo I also saw this access point from TP-Link and it says it has an "Omni-Directional Antenna".

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C{creative}%2C{keyword}&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI36-X47K92AIVgchkCh0kUwLQEAQYASABEgKk8_D_BwE&is=REG&m=Y&sku=1329773

Is this one from TP-Link better or the ubiquiti ones better?

5 minutes ago, AlanAlan said:

Hey, while I was on BH Photo I also saw this access point from TP-Link and it says it has an "Omni-Directional Antenna".

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C{creative}%2C{keyword}&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI36-X47K92AIVgchkCh0kUwLQEAQYASABEgKk8_D_BwE&is=REG&m=Y&sku=1329773

Is this one from TP-Link better or the ubiquiti ones better?

Keep with ubiquiti.