Watercooling compatiability question

Hello all!

So I am looking to upgrade my water cooling loop and need some input before I buy the rest of my parts. I currently have a stock H220x from swiftech. I want to add a rad and this water block for my 980ti. I need to know if this block is compatible with the H220-x system. I have heard that copper (which the cpu block is made of) is not compatible with other metals in a single loop. I want to add this GPU block:https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc980-gtx-ti-tf5-acetal-nickel.

Are these two blocks compatible? Or am I forced to buy a whole new loop.

Thanks for your replies

Cheers!

Mixing metals in a water cooling loop WILL result in significant corrosion of the metals within your blocks. There are additives that reduce the amount of corrosion, but as a rule of thumb, never nickel, copper, or brass with aluminum. Mixing these will result in significant galvanic corrosion. Chemistry happens; it sucks when this chemistry happens.

With that being said, the block you linked is nickel-plated copper and should be fine. Just make sure the rad you add is not aluminum. 

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

1 hour ago, Destro506 said:

Hello all!

So I am looking to upgrade my water cooling loop and need some input before I buy the rest of my parts. I currently have a stock H220x from swiftech. I want to add a rad and this water block for my 980ti. I need to know if this block is compatible with the H220-x system. I have heard that copper (which the cpu block is made of) is not compatible with other metals in a single loop. I want to add this GPU block:https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc980-gtx-ti-tf5-acetal-nickel.

Are these two blocks compatible? Or am I forced to buy a whole new loop.

Thanks for your replies

Cheers!

Yes, Nickel is fine they are in the same class. I would be more concerned with the pump, Not sure if it can handle everything you want to add to the loop.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

11 hours ago, Revan654 said:

Yes, Nickel is fine they are in the same class. I would be more concerned with the pump, Not sure if it can handle everything you want to add to the loop.

Thanks for your reply!

According to swiftech's website it says it can accommodate another rad and block. Not exactly sure how accurate it is though. Guess I need to do more research! But I am glad the metals will work together. 

12 hours ago, Unimaginative Name said:

Mixing metals in a water cooling loop WILL result in significant corrosion of the metals within your blocks. There are additives that reduce the amount of corrosion, but as a rule of thumb, never nickel, copper, or brass with aluminum. Mixing these will result in significant galvanic corrosion. Chemistry happens; it sucks when this chemistry happens.

With that being said, the block you linked is nickel-plated copper and should be fine. Just make sure the rad you add is not aluminum. 

Thank you for the informative reply! Do you have any experience with the swiftech to answer the question of the pump being able to handle another block and 120mm rad?

10 minutes ago, Destro506 said:

Thanks for your reply!

According to swiftech's website it says it can accommodate another rad and block. Not exactly sure how accurate it is though. Guess I need to do more research! But I am glad the metals will work together. 

I would look into how big of a rad you can add(Usually you can't add more then 120, 240 MAX). The pump on that AIO is not that strong. If your adding all this stuff you might want to consider doing a custom loop. You can likely be able to remove the tubing and such from the CPU block and re-use if you want. You could also just add another pump into the loop.

I know EK old AIO, when I asked if I could add another rad and block. They said your really pushing the limit and can not promise it will work. They suggested to get a custom loop instead of risking parts to the AIO pump. The pump was the same just a different brand.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon