Audio Quality

zwpkhm99

Hello guys,

yesterday I bought myself the Audio-Technica m40x's, but I am not paying for a subscription to a music provider like spotify, deezer etc. The Soundquality of Deezer is 320 kbps compressed MP3, which i use daily.

Now to my question, is there a big difference between this quality and for example a flac file which has 16-bit 1,411 kbps. And if there is a big difference am I going to notice it with those headphones. Is it worth the 15 Dollars a month?

I can't tell the difference between MP3 and WAVE audio files, generally only audiophiles can tell the difference just by listening. I don't pay for music unless I actually buy it for a couple reasons, the main one being I like to support the artists I listen to. I'm not judging you for using music providers in any way, I really see the appeal there.

That said, you likely won't be able to tell the difference easily and unless there are actual benefits to paying for a subscription(the free Spotify experience on mobile absolutely sucks), I wouldn't do it. In the long run, it's cheaper to buy the songs/albums you want and only have to pay for them once instead of monthly.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Get a specific song in both qualities. Check if YOU notice much difference, and make up your mind.

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I can't tell the difference between MP3 and WAVE audio files, generally only audiophiles can tell the difference just by listening. I don't pay for music unless I actually buy it for a couple reasons, the main one being I like to support the artists I listen to. I'm not judging you for using music providers in any way, I really see the appeal there.

That said, you likely won't be able to tell the difference easily and unless there are actual benefits to paying for a subscription(the free Spotify experience on mobile absolutely sucks), I wouldn't do it. In the long run, it's cheaper to buy the songs/albums you want and only have to pay for them once instead of monthly.

Thx for your reply there are also some people who say that only audiophiles hear the difference between 40 and 140 dollar headphones, is the difference in your opinion comparable to the difference between a 320 kbps file and a 1,411kbps one or is it something completely different?

1 minute ago, zwpkhm99 said:

Thx for your reply there are also some people who say that only audiophiles hear the difference between 40 and 140 dollar headphones, is the difference in your opinion comparable to the difference between a 320 kbps file and a 1,411kbps one or is it something completely different?

I'm comparing the audio file quality difference. Generally audiophiles hear the difference between overall quality, both file and headphones.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

7 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm comparing the audio file quality difference. Generally audiophiles hear the difference between overall quality, both file and headphones.

Ok I think i formulated my question poorly.

Would you say that the difference one hears when listening to 140 dollar headphones after having 40 dollar ones is bigger or smaller to the difference of listening to a flac file and an mp3 file?

Just now, zwpkhm99 said:

Would you say that the difference one hears when listening to 140 dollar headphones after having 40 dollar ones is bigger or smaller to the difference of listening to a flac file and an mp3 file?

Smaller. They may cost more, but have the same or lower quality speakers.

on the M40x? no, no you will not notice the difference in any meaningful way unless you are trained to notice it.

things you can do that will improve your listening experience more than paying the extra for the better files. 
Things that have a greater imapact on your listening experience include: the noise of the room you are in, the DAC/AMP of your device, the noise your chord makes when moving around,... 

You won't need an expensive subscription for better quality files. If you really want to improve the experience in a meaningful way: save those 15dollars/month and use those to buy better headphones if you really want the extra quality. 

2 minutes ago, zwpkhm99 said:

the difference between the headphones will be bigger than the difference in the file qualities in your situation. A LOT bigger

You COULD tell the difference between a (good encoded!!) 320 kbit/s mp3, and a lossless .Flac file.

Not in all songs, but there are for sure some, where you could hear an ever so slight difference.

However, this will be very minimal + you need to have alot experience, and probably equipment that's good enough to show the difference.

A "cheaper" M40x is not one of those.

I rock a beyerdynamic DT 1990 (after almost 5 years Beyerdynamic T90), and even when i try to spot any difference... it's in 9/10 times at least placebo.

The biggest Problem here are the songs itself. They are produced like utterly Garbage ("Loudness war". If you want a term to google for). Increased volume in the master, and greatly reduced dynamics.

Next: 40 vs. 140 buck headphones. Well, you should hear a difference, because those are 2 different headphones, and should sound different. You can even hear a HUGE difference between a 140 dollar and a 140 dollar headphone. Because not all are the same ;-) Some sound layd back, others analytical, others a huge bass, others more treble.. etc etc.

And last: I personally use Spotify Premium as my main music source, despite my expensive headphones. No problams there whatsoever. Also quality differences ( i do have alot of 320 kbit/s mp3s, and also many Flacs. Difference is almost nonexistant, especially, if you don't compare them A:B and search for differences. If you simply enjoy your Music, you won't notice anything.

Edit: Oh yea, really last thing: From my experience, easy 70-80% of the whole Audio quality comes from the headphone itself.

Rest falls into the rest of the Chain. File quality, Master quality, DAC /  Amp.

Well of course, if you listen to a 44 kbit/s mp3, no headphone will save you.. :P

4 minutes ago, Ansger said:

the difference between the headphones will be bigger than the difference in the file qualities in your situation. A LOT bigger

Thx this is what I expected just wanted to hear an informed opinion

9 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

You COULD tell the difference between a (good encoded!!) 320 kbit/s mp3, and a lossless .Flac file.

Not in all songs, but there are for sure some, where you could hear an ever so slight difference.

However, this will be very minimal + you need to have alot experience, and probably equipment that's good enough to show the difference.

A "cheaper" M40x is not one of those.

I rock a beyerdynamic DT 1990 (after almost 5 years Beyerdynamic T90), and even when i try to spot any difference... it's in 9/10 times at least placebo.

The biggest Problem here are the songs itself. They are produced like utterly Garbage ("Loudness war". If you want a term to google for). Increased volume in the master, and greatly reduced dynamics.

Next: 40 vs. 140 buck headphones. Well, you should hear a difference, because those are 2 different headphones, and should sound different. You can even hear a HUGE difference between a 140 dollar and a 140 dollar headphone. Because not all are the same ;-) Some sound layd back, others analytical, others a huge bass, others more treble.. etc etc.

And last: I personally use Spotify Premium as my main music source, despite my expensive headphones. No problams there whatsoever. Also quality differences ( i do have alot of 320 kbit/s mp3s, and also many Flacs. Difference is almost nonexistant, especially, if you don't compare them A:B and search for differences. If you simply enjoy your Music, you won't notice anything.

Edit: Oh yea, really last thing: From my experience, easy 70-80% of the whole Audio quality comes from the headphone itself.

Rest falls into the rest of the Chain. File quality, Master quality, DAC /  Amp.

Well of course, if you listen to a 44 kbit/s mp3, no headphone will save you.. :P

Thx for the clarification seems like the free deezer service will be enough for a pleb like me. I see you are a fellow German, who seems to know what he is talking about what do you think of the m40x's? 

Never tried them so far, only the M50 (non X. Was like 5+ years ago). Didn't like them that much (don't like closed cans personally), and it felt like it had too much bass.

However, i've read the M40x are often a better Choice, because they sound just a slight bit worse, but cost much less, or something like that. ^^"

In the 140€~ categorie, i would prefer others, like Beyerdynamic dt 880s (beyerdynamic Outlet store, these go for 139€~), or if you like more bass, DT 770/990 Pro as Outlet (109€, instead of the usual 140-150).

But depends what you personally like/prefer

I subscribe to both Apple Music and HIFI Tidal music monthly. I've switched back and forth between the same song on the two and there is a massive difference. I've done blind tests with friends and everyone can hear the difference. No changes, no volume adjustments, no equalizers. Just play on tidal. Pause. Play on apple music. Pause and back and forth. 

Granted I do have an audio setup that costs in the realm of $20,000 (sig) so your mileage may vary. 

7 minutes ago, NickTheMajin said:

I subscribe to both Apple Music and HIFI Tidal music monthly. I've switched back and forth between the same song on the two and there is a massive difference. I've done blind tests with friends and everyone can hear the difference. No changes, no volume adjustments, no equalizers. Just play on tidal. Pause. Play on apple music. Pause and back and forth.

Are you using the same version of the song though, apple have certain albums 'mastered for apple', or something like that. A better way to test if someone else can hear a difference would be to take a lossless version of the track and convert it to the different levels of MP3 or AAC bit rate. Then compare those files through the same audio chain.

22 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Never tried them so far, only the M50 (non X. Was like 5+ years ago). Didn't like them that much (don't like closed cans personally), and it felt like it had too much bass.

However, i've read the M40x are often a better Choice, because they sound just a slight bit worse, but cost much less, or something like that. ^^"

In the 140€~ categorie, i would prefer others, like Beyerdynamic dt 880s (beyerdynamic Outlet store, these go for 139€~), or if you like more bass, DT 770/990 Pro as Outlet (109€, instead of the usual 140-150).

But depends what you personally like/prefer

Ouh wait a second i just realized the free version of deezer supports 128kbps and not 320 is it still not a big deal?

1 minute ago, anothertom said:

Are you using the same version of the song though, apple have certain albums 'mastered for apple', or something like that. A better way to test if someone else can hear a difference would be to take a lossless version of the track and convert it to the different levels of MP3 or AAC bit rate. Then compare those files through the same audio chain.

I've done it with plenty of songs. My favorite one actually is The Freedom Song by Jason Mraz. On tidal HIFI with my receiver at -10 I get beautifully punchy bass and crisp un distorted horns and voice with amazing separation from the left to the right to you can hear the horns and the female vocals and Jason's voice all distinctly and point to each one. 

On Apple music, the sound stage is shrunk. Everything sounds like its coming from the middle with only slight separation. The bass loses a lot of emphasis and the horns sound distorted like it's struggling to play at that volume and the female vocals and Jason's vocals blend together into the same space and no longer appear to be coming from different parts of the soundstage. 

1 hour ago, zwpkhm99 said:

Ouh wait a second i just realized the free version of deezer supports 128kbps and not 320 is it still not a big deal?

that might be a small deal tho..

Not sure ^^" I wouldn't think much about it. Just enjoy

1 hour ago, Darkseth said:

that might be a small deal tho..

Not sure ^^" I wouldn't think much about it. Just enjoy

Dude the "small deal" makes me really uncomfortable :D

320 kbps is nearly indistinguishable from lossless, 128 kbps is very different to 320 kbps / lossless. Take that as you will. Also your ears are different and only you can decide for yourself.