Trying to convert a laptop into a desktop, need some advice

HunterAP

TL;DR I have this laptop that I don't use anymore in a portable manner since I have a different laptop. This old is a G46VW with an i7-3630QM, GTX 660M, Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD, 16GB of RAM, and a 14" 1366x768 60Hz Optimus display. I want to run it as a server for some miscellaneous stuff in my house, but the laptop casing is sort-of cracked and caused some heating issues (even when it was new).

I want to put it into a desktop case, and swap out the tiny heatsinks & fans with something bigger (since the i7 gets pretty hot, and sharing the airspace with GPU isn't helping either). That being said, I'm not very familiar with cases that can accommodate this motherboard + new bigger heatsinks & fans, as well as finding heatsinks for both the GPU and CPU that will fit those sockets. I don't mind keeping the display, but an external one wouldn't hurt (using either HDMI or VGA). Also, I don't plan to use any of the audio functionality, but if I did I would probably use external USB or 3.5mm speakers.

So the first major question is: Does anyone know of any decently small desktop cases that could fit this mobo and accommodate some heatsinks? The motherboard is roughly 13.5" long, 10.25" wide, and about 3/4" thick. All the ports are the on sides, so that's definitely an issue to figure out as well. I guess at this point I might as well get some metal sheet panels and use use screws and some support pieces to keep them all together, rather than modify an existing desktop case?

As for the heatsinks, I don't think I need anything too powerful, at most something small like a Noctua NH-L9I, but the issue is that the screw holes for the heatsinks on both the GPU and CPU aren't desktop socket sizes, so I'm not sure what I can do about that. For reference, here is a picture of the motherboard showing both the CPU (on the right) and GPU (on the left) that shows their sockets and heatsink mounting points:

20121217_223915.jpg

The CPU heatsink mounting points are 2" long, 1 and 1/8", and the diagonal length is 2 and 1/4". The GPU heatsink mounting points are easier to work with, and are 2" both in length and width, and diagonally are 2 and 11/16". I have no idea what sort of heat sinks can fit in by these measurements.

2 minutes ago, HunterAP said:

snip

if i was in this situation, i 'd go to a junk yard or some other place and find some metal slates or something for cheap or free

use a drill etc whatever tools and make a custom cake with fillings and openings for cooling etc.

MF UH BEANS

The RAM and CPU look removable, in which case you could find an ITX board that supports that RAM style. Ditch the mobo anyway since the BIOS is garbage.

Nevermind. Integrated GPU... Just submerge the whole thing in mineral oil.

I have to agree with Aries757. It's a laptop, and it has it's own shape. There isn't a plug-and-play-nice case for a laptop mobo that I know of.

If you find yourself a junker case, just mod it untill it fits. For USB ports and the likes: buy cheap USB cable extensions and/or USB splitters and mount them where you like inside the case.

As for the heatsinks: maybe moar air is already enough to make it cool better. Or maybe just a large 120mm fan above the stock heatsink. Add an regular CPU heatsink if you want to go balls to them walls. I'm not too familiar with Intel CPU coolers, but I've had some AMD CPU coolers which could be used with a custom made heatsink bracket. (or just zipties if you feel lucky, don't forget to support the heatsink if you're going to mount the mobo sideways)

*PS: it has been done before. Even cartboard boxes have been used to house a semi broken laptop. I've seen them on these forums.

The reason I want to replace the heatsinks and fans is because they get very loud, very quickly. This may be due to the CPU and GPU temperatures getting high inside the case, but they are pretty damn loud while idle (the laptop is nearly 6 years old), and I'd rather spend money to make it quiet and keep it cool than keep these stock parts.

As for the case, I guess I will have to go the DIY route with metal slates and make my own mounting holes and such. I don't live near any junkyards or recycling plants, but there is a Home Depot nearby that I can check if they have the parts I need.

I've never done real DIY stuff before, but from watching enough videos of Linus and other Youtubers doing such stuff, I think I can manage. Is there anything specific I should know about working with metal slates?