HDMI to DVI-D connection

r1ley_h

I just received some male DVI-D to female HDMI adapter so I can hook my laptop up to my monitor via DVI rather than VGA. I was also planning on using two of these connectors to run between the same monitor and my gpu once I complete my desktop. The DVI connection was connected to the monitor and the HDMI cable was plugged into the adapter. I plugged my laptop in through the HDMI connection and the monitor didn't display anything. Is there something that I missed about these connections? Could it be just the monitor? (It is an older 16:10 monitor that I plan to upgrade eventually.) I am running Windows 10. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I'm confused as to what order you have all these adapters and cables in and what the laptop actually uses.

Does your (older) monitor have "source selections"? My ancient square Samsung SyncMaster 940ux has them... If I have it stuck on VGA, it won't display anything when I go to my HDMI signal input...

EDIT: If I have the source in my monitor set to VGA signal, while I provide HDMI signal, it won't display anything. (except the menu's in the monitor itself)

15 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Does Windows even detect a second monitor?

My laptop screen goes black because I normally use the monitor as a primary display. I changed it back using dsub and tried again with dvi with no success. I cannot tell if it does or not.

16 minutes ago, emosun said:

I'm confused as to what order you have all these adapters and cables in and what the laptop actually uses.

Right now it is from the monitor to the laptop: DVI-D to HDMI, HDMI cable to laptop.

16 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Does your (older) monitor have "source selections"? My ancient square Samsung SyncMaster 940ux has them... If I have it stuck on VGA, it won't display anything when I go to my HDMI signal input...

There is a button where I can change the source but it gets me the same screen when I am trying to use DVI. 

Have you tryed all sources? If not, try to follow suggestions others gave you + make sure windows detects the connected screen.

The cable you bought is for converting dvi to hdmi , you're trying to use it backwards and that's not really going to work out.

26 minutes ago, r1ley_h said:

so I can hook my laptop up to my monitor via DVI rather than VGA.

if the monitor works with vga then why are you changing it?

Just now, Dutch-stoner said:

Have you tryed all sources? If not, try to follow suggestions others gave you + make sure windows detects the connected screen.

I did try all sources that I have on my monitor and it doesn't seem to matter. It could be a dud dvi or something. I really am not good with this type of stuff.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

The cable you bought is for converting dvi to hdmi , you're trying to use it backwards and that's not really going to work out.

if the monitor works with vga then why are you changing it?

That makes sense now actually. I can see the thought process. My GPU has HDMI and DVI ports on it and I figured I could use the HDMI out on my GPU and send it to the monitor with one of these connections. Now that you have put it that way it makes sense. I was using my laptop to test the theory. I was also thinking of using two adapters going from both DVI ports but that might not work either. I should probably just get a monitor that supports HDMI.

No you need to be using active adapters instead of passive ones. It is possible to convert hdmi to pretty much anything provided it's an active adapter.

What do those look like? Do I just search active adapter for hdmi to DVI?