Can I swap my current power supply for this one?

scaryjam823

I built my computer back in 2012 and it seems the power supply has gotten weaker. I had some severe stuttering on windows every couple seconds, after messing around it started to disable the sound, then the display drivers would keep crashing (according to the event log but I never seen a pop up that said they crashed) then it would not even boot. My led's would surge inside my case, get brighter and dimmer while the displays were black. So I took out my graphics card and everything seems to be working fine. Which leads me to believe the power supply has gotten so old it couldn't power the system anymore. As I don't have money to rebuild the whole system right now, even though it is outdated, I'm looking to swap power supplies and get one that has a little more power. I currently have a seasonic SS-750KM3 and I want to get the 850 model here. It looks like the same model, just higher wattage, but when looking at the pinouts in the specs it says the new one has as follows :

1 x Main connector (24Pin, 600mm) 
1 x 4+4Pin EPS 12V (650mm)
1 x 8Pin EPS 12V (650mm)
5 x Peripheral
10 x SATA
1 x Floppy
6 x PCI-E (600mm)

My current power supply lists this : 

1 x Main connector (20+4 Pin)
1 x 4-Pin ATX 12V 
2 x 8-Pin EPS 12V
5 x Peripheral
10 x SATA
1 x Floppy
5 x PCI-E

I'm not sure what all ports I am using, but I don't really want to rewire the whole system for this. I don't know what the difference in 1x 4 pin atx and 1 4+4 pin etx is. Mainly the atx and etx part. I also am unsure about mine having 2x8-pin eps connectors but the new one has only 1? 

Any insight and help would be greatly appreciated. If worse comes to worse I'll just buy the same power supply I currently have, I just wanted to avoid this problem later down the road should I keep this system. Right now I am running my system without the graphics card installed  so no gaming until I get this resolved. Intel graphics doesn't do too well with games. :P

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

A 2 x 8 pin EPS would be used in very high power CPUs or dual CPU mainboards. Typically you see only single 4+4 pins.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

For what do you want to change the PSU?!
Your system doesn't even use 400W. What do you want with an 850W?!

The Problems you have are NOT related to PSU!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

16 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

a failing PSU would behoove a new unit. 

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

17 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

My system event viewer reported several random errors. Network card not working, sound driver not working, graphics driver crashing, not being able to assign an ip address, as well as stuttering. You could say the stuttering and graphic driver crashing were related to the graphics card. However it doesn't explain all the unrelated events that happened. If it wasn't related to the graphics card or the psu then why did all this resolve itself when I removed the graphics card?

Removing the graphics card narrowed the issues down to two things. The graphics card or the psu. The psu is the cheapest and with everything considered, especially lights surging in my computer. It leads me to believe the power supply CANNOT provide enough power with the graphics card installed, when I removed the graphics card I reduced the load to the psu and all the issues were fixed.

By the way, my system draws around 600w, you estimate of not even 400w is grossly miscalculated.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

1 hour ago, scaryjam823 said:

By the way, my system draws around 600w, you estimate of not even 400w is grossly miscalculated.

No way it's pulling even close to 600W. 

You could RMA the PSU, if that's what you think the issue is. 

:)

10 minutes ago, seon123 said:

No way it's pulling even close to 600W. 

You could RMA the PSU, if that's what you think the issue is. 

So glad you guys know my system better than I do, better than the calculators and better than a killawatt -_-

Also glad my whole topic is completely being ignored, whilst I'm being told irrelevant bs from you guys. I come to this forum for help, I use to frequent this forum everyday trying to help. But now? Now if it's just this kind of stuff, I wonder what has this forum become. I'll find a solution elsewhere since competent people cannot be found here anymore.

2 hours ago, scaryjam823 said:

So glad you guys know my system better than I do, better than the calculators and better than a killawatt -_-

Also glad my whole topic is completely being ignored, whilst I'm being told irrelevant bs from you guys. I come to this forum for help, I use to frequent this forum everyday trying to help. But now? Now if it's just this kind of stuff, I wonder what has this forum become. I'll find a solution elsewhere since competent people cannot be found here anymore.

Don't lump me into the same group as these degenerates! ( :P ) Just looked at the MB on google images and I only see one 8-pin CPU (otherwise known as an 8-pin EPS connector) so you're fine there with the 850W unit. I don't see anything else out of the ordinary if the system in question is the one in your signature. Perhaps the system as a whole draws 600W from the wall (3 monitors, external HDD, etc) but i would be very surprised if the computer (the only thing the PSU would be powering) would be drawing that much. That's besides the point though. It does sound to me as if there is either a loose connector, or a PSU that's in it's death throws, and you are right that the PSU is the least expensive component of the system, so I would start there. If it turns out the PSU isn't the cause, hey, you've got a back up (honestly i'd keep the new one in there and shelf the old one).

System specs:

6 hours ago, scaryjam823 said:

My system event viewer reported several random errors. Network card not working, sound driver not working, graphics driver crashing, not being able to assign an ip address, as well as stuttering.

Sorry, but not related to PSU.

Seems like your MB is crapping out.

It leads me to believe the power supply CANNOT provide enough power with the graphics card installed, when I removed the graphics card I reduced the load to the psu and all the issues were fixed.

You don't know what the hell you are talking about. 
Sorry, but if it is the case, then your PSU is defective, not too weak.

You don't need any stronger PSU, you need a working one.

That the Seasonic X/P Series isn't  that reliable is know, so RMA that shit, don't buy a new one!!

Your KM3 has 7 years warranty!!

And can only be a couple of years old...

https://seasonic.com/support

Have you any proof of that? Or are you just guessing?!

How can you get to 600W? Overclocking your Graphics card with a sledgehammer?!

Sorry, but you grossly overestimate the power consumption of PC components...

4 hours ago, scaryjam823 said:

1. All Calculators are crap.

Do you really think a Harddrive can consume 50W?!

Well, its kinda true - for half a second or so when the motor starts spinning.

Or that a Stick of Memory can consume something like 20W or so?!

And the rest is just adding the TDP.

If you know the values, every decent 10 year old can do that - and it doesn't make it right at all...

2. Have you 'calibrated' the Thing you have?
Do you know it behaves with the powerfactor?!
So lets assume it shows 'around 600W': 

a) 600W * 0,9 (Efficiency): 540W

And if the Power factor comes on top because you have a shitty meter: 540*0,9 -> 486

So we are somewehere between 486 and 540W.

486 seems more believable but to be fair, lets say 500W...

How the hell can the PSU be "too week", if we are talking around 500W load at worst?!

And we know that if my calculations are true, you are indeed killing your hardware with sledgehammer overclocking...

Either way, you don't need a stronger one, you need a working one!