SSD Problems

I got a 240Gb PNY Optima SSD off of Craigslist a couple days ago, and it has this really weird issue where when it is in the usb 3 enclosure it came in, it gets over 300mbps read in crystaldiskmark. But if I connect it to my main PC's internal sata 3 port, it only gets 23mbps in crystaldiskmark. I've tried changing bios settings from ahci to ide and back again, I've tried disabling sata 3 altogether, I've tried the seperate sata 2 chip on my motherboard, but it doesn't go over 23mbps. But the thing that eads me to believe this may be a warranty issue is when i put the ssd into my core i3 thinkpad, I get over 400mbps read in crystaldiskmark. I've tried other AMD pc's, too, and they all have the same issue as my main AMD PC. What should I do? I'm out of ideas.

You should start by telling us what your PC consists of. Which CPU, mobo, etc. Especially add-on SATA3 controllers (from companies like Renesas, ASMedia etc.) can cause this kind of erratic behaviour and they were pretty common between 2010 and 2013. With such controllers, the onboard SATA2 ports are often faster.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

5 minutes ago, Jacobs IOS Jailbreak Help said:

I've tried other AMD pc's, too, and they all have the same issue as my main AMD PC. What should I do? I'm out of ideas.

Sounds like SSD drive problem, if the issue occurs in few PCs 

You sure that this SSD is legit? I mean that it's not a case of "pendrive in drive form factor" ? 

I am pretty sure its legit, cause the ssd has good speeds in my intel laptop, and it hasn't given me any error codes, the only problem is its slow

7 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

You should start by telling us what your PC consists of. Which CPU, mobo, etc. Especially add-on SATA3 controllers (from companies like Renesas, ASMedia etc.) can cause this kind of erratic behaviour and they were pretty common between 2010 and 2013. With such controllers, the onboard SATA2 ports are often faster.

and I do have the latest bios, which updated some type of sata controller version, so i think im gonna try the one right before that version

12 minutes ago, Jacobs IOS Jailbreak Help said:

crap i actually just filled out the pc specs in my account, not sure how to add it to my signature though.

I see you have a Gigabyte 880GA-UD3H board. AMD should have the latest drivers for the controllers on their website. The SATA3 controller is native, so it should perform properly. Try the white SATA2 ports for shits and giggles.

Here are the latest W10/8/7 x64 chipset drivers from AMD:

https://www2.ati.com/drivers/amd-catalyst-15.7.1-sb-sata-ahci-win10-win8.1-win7.exe

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

5 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I see you have a Gigabyte 880GA-UD3H board. AMD should have the latest drivers for the controllers on their website. The SATA3 controller is native, so it should perform properly. Try the white SATA2 ports for shits and giggles.

https://www2.ati.com/drivers/amd-catalyst-15.7.1-sb-sata-ahci-win10-win8.1-win7.exe

omg thank you i have been looking for that link forever

12 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

actually, how did you find the link? cause it says incomplete because it was linked somewhere other than hteir website

EDIT- got it

ok, i installed that and it updated the standard ahci controller in device manager to amd ahci, but the second controller still was standard, so i looked up the hardware ID and got that, too. i just logged in and updated to the new driver in device manager, and we now have a new category called storage controllers, with gigabyte gbb36x controller in it. i think i'm going to go try the SSD again now

Still nothing

Any other ideas what could be wrong? Cause I get good speeds on every Intel machine I've tested, it's only slow on my amd machines

Sounds like a bug in the SATA controller or an incompatibility with the controller on the SSD with the SATA controller in these AMD chipsets. Not much you can do about that, I'm afraid.

The last thing you can try to do is update the firmware on the SSD.

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

Sounds like a bug in the SATA controller or an incompatibility with the controller on the SSD with the SATA controller in these AMD chipsets. Not much you can do about that, I'm afraid.

The last thing you can try to do is update the firmware on the SSD.

I'm actually switching to a different motherboard that has a UEFI bios right now. I secure erased the ssd. Next step is to align the partitions and then install Windows. Fingers crossed

There also has never been a firmware update for the ssd