External hdd doesn't respond

Martijn_Schuman

Hello, I'm new to the forum, also English isn't my main languages so plz don't expect a perfect use of the language.

My dad tried tot access our external Toshiba USB HDD. When he tried access it did he get a message which was saying he needed tot format the drive. When I took a look at it, did I got a message which was saying that the parameter is incorrect. I opened disk management where the drive showed up like a normal HDD. I changed the driver letter, tried the drive on another system with no luck. I formatted the drive, I can access it now like a normal driver. I'm currently running recuva to look if I can see some files. The weird thing is that task manager say's the drive is 100% in use, wile there is 0kb/s read/writer activity. When I actual look at it does in make a weird soft ticking noise. I'm not going to reuse the drive after this. This drive is my family's archive. Many recent family pictures/document are one it.Thanks in advance for any kind of help.

Sounds to me like the drive could be failing, or starting to. It shouldn't be making any ticking sounds during normal use.

Welcome to the forums!

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

The drive is failing. The 100 percent usage is a symptom. Quickly get your files off of it.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

2 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

The drive is failing. The 100 percent usage is a symptom. Quickly get your files off of it.

Did you read the text?? I can't access the drive. Recuva is running for 2/3 hours with 0% progres.

29 minutes ago, martijnschuman said:

I formatted the drive, I can access it now like a normal driver. 

2 minutes ago, martijnschuman said:

Did you read the text?? I can't access the drive. Recuva is running for 2/3 hours with 0% progres.

I did read it.

Well then your data is probably lost. If it was really important there are places where you could send them the drive and they can access the data.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

I'm recovering the files, but I noticed something strange, the external hdd is 500gb, I ussed about 320GB. But my internal HDD of 2TB filled up with 652GB? How is it posible that I got 652GB of a 500GB drive?