Noise from PSU in one game

Ragebayne

Hey I have a weird noise coming from my psu in one game only I will add a sample of noise at bottom.

basically I've ran a lot of other games and stuff and I cannot reproduce the sound anywhere but in one game the game is car mechanic simulator 2018 the powe supply is less than 6 month old as is the entire PC it's all brand new nothing used the PSU is a tier one corsair RM750x the spec of PC are.

case - coolermaster HAF x

mobo - MSI gaming pro carbon 

ram - 16 gb DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance LPX using xmp 

CPU - i7 7700k stock clocks 

cooler - dark rock pro 3 

GPU - GTX 1080 TI aorus 

HDD - 600gb western digital raptor 

HDD - 3tb barracuda 

PSU - RM750x

OS - windows 10 

as as I said before entire pC is less than 6 months old and I can only get the noise in one game I play a lot of other games more demanding and PSU is silent also yes the noise is defiantly from PSU and not the GPU I've 100 percent identified the source and the recording I took was from PSU rear where the noise is loudest I basically want to know is this something that could damage my pC or is it unsafe as I spent all my savings building this system below is the recording thanks 

From my experience, that's a coil whine. You can search about coil whine online.

It happened to me when benchmarking my gpu and having a lot of fps (more than 200). I replaced my Corsair CX750M because of that and it is still whining but not so much. Corsair usually replaced their product without much asking  and I got mine on the spot.

CPU i5 6600K (4.4GHz @1.25V) | GPU MSI GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X (2126/4504) | RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 2666MHz (3000MHz) | BOARD MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon | SSD Samsung 850 evo 250GB | HDD 2 Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU Corsair CX750M | CASE Corsair Spec-Alpha | COOLING Deepcool Captain 240EX RGB |

Ok I just launched the game that causes it and got no noise so it seems to only happen after pC has been on a few hours also but it's only ever in one game 

It tends to happen more often if you're running very high framerates, so see if you can cap the framerate. Maybe to 120 or 144FPS, that should still be smooth enough.

Coil whine is the slight movement of the conductors in the inductors/transformers in the PSU/ VRMs. It will always occur, but is only audible when a large amount of current is being drawn through the PSU/VRM. aka only at high FPS.

You can solve it by putting glue in the coils (kiss goodbye to ye warranty) or by lowering the overall current draw of the system/part. This is most commonly achieved by limiting the FPS.

Try running it without framerate limiting.

Also, hit the quote button next time, so people get a notification that you've replied.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

31 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Coil whine is the slight movement of the conductors in the inductors/transformers in the PSU/ VRMs. It will always occur, but is only audible when a large amount of current is being drawn through the PSU/VRM. aka only at high FPS.

You can solve it by putting glue in the coils (kiss goodbye to ye warranty) or by lowering the overall current draw of the system/part. This is most commonly achieved by limiting the FPS.

Try running it without framerate limiting.

Also, hit the quote button next time, so people get a notification that you've replied.

So is it defiantly coil whine 100 percent is it damaging ? Why does it only really show in one game that is not that demanding but not in others that are much more demanding 

16 minutes ago, Ragebayne said:

So is it defiantly coil whine 100 percent is it damaging ? Why does it only really show in one game that is not that demanding but not in others that are much more demanding 

Coil whine is caused by any component that has a electromagnetic coil. It vibrates and at some frequencies makes a wailing noise. It's not something you should be worried about, as all graphics cards and PSUs has this to a varying degree.

A tip that might work is to start a game or benchmark where you're getting coil-whine, i.e a loading screen. Let the computer remain in that state, while you're away at work or out walking for example. In some cases the coil might vibrate or move to a spot where the noise isn't as audible.