Need help choosing montior

Flaneln

In January i'm getting new  gaming computer and new monitor . I wan't to choose cheap monitor but to get the best price out of it . Under 150 euro . I know it's not a lot for a gaming montior and a lot of people will tell me to spend more money but i can't. I have a strict budget . Most of it goes to my computer . So my questions are maybe dumb but i just never was into these kind of things.

1 - If i buy a 1920x1080 monitor ... Will there be a noticeable difference between 21.5 inch montior and 24 inch monitor ? Will the resolution look distorted or more pixelated?

2 - Does contrast ratio 1:1000 produce good enough colors ( i can't define "good enough" but i hope you understand what i mean ) or should i go for contrast ratio 1:3000 or more?

3 - Is 5ms response time enough for it to not be noticeable and good or at least good enough for competitive games ? 

4 - MVA / TN / IPS . Which one is best for gaming? 

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!!!

There probably won't be a big difference between 21.5 and 24. If you look really, really close, then yes, it will look slightly more pixelated, but you would need to get really close and focus really hard on it. 1000:1 contrast ratio is perfectly fine. 5ms is not too much, most people can't even notice 8ms. I love IPS panels, they look really good, VA is up there too. A high-end TN panel will look good, but viewing angles and color will still definitely be sacrificed. 

Check out the Asus VC239H, IPS panel, 1080p, 60Hz, 5ms? response time. All around a very good monitor. I have the 27-inch version and I love it. 

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

14 minutes ago, Unimaginative Name said:

Welcome to the forum!!!

There probably won't be a big difference between 21.5 and 24. If you look really, really close, then yes, it will look slightly more pixelated, but you would need to get really close and focus really hard on it. 1000:1 contrast ratio is perfectly fine. 5ms is not too much, most people can't even notice 8ms. I love IPS panels, they look really good, VA is up there too. A high-end TN panel will look good, but viewing angles and color will still definitely be sacrificed. 

Check out the Asus VC239H, IPS panel, 1080p, 60Hz, 5ms? response time. All around a very good monitor. I have the 27-inch version and I love it. 

What about PHILIPS 240V5QDAB 23.8" ?

1. A good way to visualize monitor sizes is to take a tape measure and extend it to the length you want a couple of feet in front of your face. 24 inch is average size.

3. Unless you have a highly trained eye (like professional gamers), you won't be able to the notice the difference between really low response times. Just make sure it's under 10ms (most are).

4. IPS is the best panel type for color accuracy. Also be careful not to get an anti-glare(matte) monitor. It makes the colors look all washed out.

Watch: 

Read: https://pcmonitors.info/articles/matte-vs-glossy-monitors/

What about "SmartContrast" Does it have an effect on the quality in a bad way?

5 minutes ago, Flaneln said:

What about "SmartContrast" Does it have an effect on the quality in a bad way?

Smart contrast is a fancy way of saying dynamic contrast

This explains it pretty well

And there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with Phillips, although I don't know anyone with a Phillips monitor. I just don't know enough about their monitors in order to make a good assessment.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

tn panels are the best for gaming because of higher refresh rates, but ips has better color accuracy

PC SPECS:

Case: TT View 27 Black

Motherboard: ASRock Z370 SLI XTREME ATX

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k 

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Mini ITX 8G

RAM: 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz DDR4

PSU: Generic 800 Watt

CPU Cooler: Stock Intel Cooler(*oof*)

SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

NON PC STUFF:

Monitor: Alienware 25 Freesync(i know i have an nvidia card)

kb: Corsair K65 Luxe with MX Red Switches(and a white backplate mod to enhance the RGB)

Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 700 at 1600 dpi

Audio: Razer Kraken 7.1 V2

RGB: Corsair Lighting Node Pro with corsair light strips

29 minutes ago, d0ge said:

tn panels are the best for gaming because of higher refresh rates, but ips has better color accuracy

But the cheapest 144Hz monitor (in the US at least) is $200 and TN. So I'd rather have a 60Hz IPS at this price point. The pixel response time difference for most monitors are completely negligible. 

Spoiler