Urgent | USBs not working after splash screen?

WaitDontSh00t

My pc is unusable right now, so I'm on my phone. Sorry in advance if I type something wrong or miss something out.

All of a sudden my keyboard and mouse stopped working. They're plugged into usb ports on the back of my pc. (Tested all front ports too). Everything was fine before. My mobo is an Asus Maximus Viii Hero alpha if that matters. 

Kinda starting to panic.

I have no clue what's going on, I tried other ports but nothing. If I replug one of the usb to my keyboard, the lights turn on that's about it. Tried my mouse on other usb, and nothing either.

Weird thing...if I restart, I can go into BIOS. Keyboard, mouse lights are on. They work fine. As soon as I see my Asus boot logo, they shut off and I can't do anything with them at all. I have no idea what to do.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. 

Edit: Managed to boot in safe mode. They still worked, even redownloaded the drivers. After I tried booting in normal mode, same thing happens. It even looks like my headsets (usb powered) are disabled when I load into Windows. Just going off the looks of the taskbar.

Additional info in case needed:

I7-6700k @4.5 w/Kraken x61

Dual 980Ti Hybrids

Asus Maximus Viii Hero Alpha 

Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 3000Mhz

Corsair Rm1000i

Windows 10

Samsung 500GB/1TB SSD, Western Digital 1TB/2TB

Corsair K70 Lux RGB Rapid fire

Corsair Glaive 

Corsair MM800 Rgb

Maybe check USB ports in BIOS, may be configured incorrectly.

If you can switch them back to usb 2.0 in BIOS it may help point you in the right direction, or you could try loading BIOS defaults and rebooting.

USB ports that work outside of windows is without a doubt software or config problem.

10 minutes ago, Andylawson said:

Maybe check USB ports in BIOS, may be configured incorrectly.

If you can switch them back to usb 2.0 in BIOS it may help point you in the right direction, or you could try loading BIOS defaults and rebooting.

USB ports that work outside of windows is without a doubt software or config problem.

Thanks...I've even updated Bios and still no luck. I've checked everything usb settings wise and couldn't find anything that should be causing this. Not sure what else to do or what caused this! 

If you can get into Safe mode uninstall everything to do with USB devices from device manager.

once done and if asked click the box that says "also delete / remove the drivers / software for this device.

do you have an option of downloading Ubuntu on a USB and checking if that OS can see the usb devices once past bios.

you don't need to install just boot into the live environment from the USB.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?77967-Maximus-VIII-Hero-no-USB-power-on-boot

seems like Try changing XHCI hand off to ENABLED in the BIOS. It's under Advanced/USB config. Does that make any difference? I have a secondary drive installed with Windows 7 on my M8H and have not experienced this yet. I have however experience it on a Z97 Pro and understand the frustration.

If that doesn't work and no one else has a viable solution the sure fire way to correct it is moving to Windows 8.1/10 as they support XHCI/USB3 natively. 

fixed it

30 minutes ago, Andylawson said:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?77967-Maximus-VIII-Hero-no-USB-power-on-boot

seems like Try changing XHCI hand off to ENABLED in the BIOS. It's under Advanced/USB config. Does that make any difference? I have a secondary drive installed with Windows 7 on my M8H and have not experienced this yet. I have however experience it on a Z97 Pro and understand the frustration.

If that doesn't work and no one else has a viable solution the sure fire way to correct it is moving to Windows 8.1/10 as they support XHCI/USB3 natively. 

fixed it

The picture shows the only options available in the bios usb properties. I've tried uninstalling usb devices like you said, but nothing has changed. Once I uninstalled I couldn't even use anything in safe mode, so Hopefully next reboot I  an use it there at least.

15146737007511709148060.jpg

can you load BIOS defaults ?

usually in BIOS press F9 then F10 to save.

in safe mode uninstall any and all Asus software

reboot.

1 hour ago, Andylawson said:

can you load BIOS defaults ?

usually in BIOS press F9 then F10 to save.

in safe mode uninstall any and all Asus software

reboot.

Yes, I've already reset all bios to default. Usbs still don't work in normal Windows, now just the new thing is the BSOD shortly after Windows loads. 

Safe mode is still okay though. This is what I'm seeing with blue screen viewer. No idea what it means though.

https://i.gyazo.com/058f1602a29166ad3d7c792d20c59aa3.png

Guess there's two issues now

Edit: uninstalled Asus usb controller, now nothing works in safe mode.

Anybody...I'm desperate, please help.

Firstly power off the PC.

remove the power cable from the back

press and hold down the power button while counting to 60 without power cable in.

remove the RAM from the PC.

Put it back in, in the correct way some are color coded to show how to put it back in correctly (same color) also make sure you hear a click on both sides when putting the ram back in. (you should not have to use force)

Look for a clear CMOS button or switch at the back of the IO panel or on the motherboard itself press it.

if you are confident do the below.

open up the case and remove the coin battery on the motherboard.

wait 5 mins.

put the coin battery back in.

in safe mode uninstall all asus stuff on the PC no asus software or drivers should show in installed software.

don't try to install any drivers or software, let windows use the default drivers.

BIOS options should show or configured like below.

• legacy usb support enabled,
  • intel xhci mode disable
  • ehci hand off disable
  • usb full initialiazation 

if that fails test ubuntu live from usb, if ubuntu works its windows thats the problem, and you may need to re-install.

29 minutes ago, Andylawson said:

Firstly power off the PC.

remove the power cable from the back

press and hold down the power button while counting to 60 without power cable in.

remove the RAM from the PC.

Put it back in, in the correct way some are color coded to show how to put it back in correctly (same color) also make sure you hear a click on both sides when putting the ram back in. (you should not have to use force)

Look for a clear CMOS button or switch at the back of the IO panel or on the motherboard itself press it.

if you are confident do the below.

open up the case and remove the coin battery on the motherboard.

wait 5 mins.

put the coin battery back in.

in safe mode uninstall all asus stuff on the PC no asus software or drivers should show in installed software.

don't try to install any drivers or software, let windows use the default drivers.

BIOS options should show or configured like below.

• legacy usb support enabled,
  • intel xhci mode disable
  • ehci hand off disable
  • usb full initialiazation 

if that fails test ubuntu live from usb, if ubuntu works its windows thats the problem, and you may need to re-install.

RAM Seems to be fine, even ran memory diagnostic. 

Bios has already been reset multiple times.

Has already been updated to latest version.

No usbs work at all once loaded into windows, but like i said now that blue screen is a new thing. Started showing up after i deleted the usb root hubs like you mentioned.

14 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

Did you do a cold boot, as Andylawson suggested?

I did, do that. No luck.

I ended up deleting all USBs under the Universal Serial Bus. Luckily I had an older ps2 keyboard laying around. Had to navigate everything with that in safe mode. Once I did that, I also reinstalled my GPU drivers and chipset drivers.

Last, I ran a "chkdsk /r", it took a while to complete, but eventually loaded into windows normally and so far I seem to have control again with everything. I'm not too sure what caused this, it's very odd. Though thanks to everybody who chimed in and helped.

Something is still going on though. I have extremely high cpu usage when first booted into windows. I was shortly greeted by this message not too soon after.

1514703528661357953813.jpg

Have you checked what you have running at startup? Disable anything that isn't necessary and also try disabling or enabling hardware acceleration in Chrome.

6 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

Have you checked what you have running at startup? Disable anything that isn't necessary and also try disabling or enabling hardware acceleration in Chrome.

I ended up running a few commands in command prompt and I think it may have fixed this issue. Haven't had enough time to test fully.

sfc /scannow (again I ran it, found some violations)

And 

Verifier /reset

May have done the job.