Computer Won't Boot when DVD-RW Plugged In

Every year I wipe my computer and do a fresh install.  I bought a second 2TB drive to put into my rig as such I converted my primary from the MBR format and made my secondary drive GPT as well.  I am running Windows 7 Pro SP1. 

I ran into a host of issues but eventually got the computer to boot with both drives installed. I can only boot into windows now if I leave my DVD-RW drive unplugged from its SATA port.  If I have it plugged in I receive the error message "Reboot and select proper Boot Device or insert boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."  Unplugged it goes straight into windows.  Keep in mind I installed Windows off said DVD - RW drive.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this behavior?

Specs:

Motherboard: BIOSTAR TZ77XE3

Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K

Hard Drive 1: Western Digital 7200 PRM Black 2TB Drive (original drive in rig now set up as the secondary)

Hard Drive 2: Seagate Firecuda hybrid drive 2TB 7200rpm (new primary drive)

DVD-RW: Samsung SH-224BB/BEBE Internal 24X DVD Burner

No jumpers are installed and all are plugged into the SATA 3.0 ports.

UEFI Boot is enabled

SMART Enabled

AHCI Enabled

Intel Rapid Start Enabled

24 minutes ago, iceblade2097 said:

Every year I wipe my computer and do a fresh install.  I bought a second 2TB drive to put into my rig as such I converted my primary from the MBR format and made my secondary drive GPT as well.  I am running Windows 7 Pro SP1. 

I ran into a host of issues but eventually got the computer to boot with both drives installed. I can only boot into windows now if I leave my DVD-RW drive unplugged from its SATA port.  If I have it plugged in I receive the error message "Reboot and select proper Boot Device or insert boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."  Unplugged it goes straight into windows.  Keep in mind I installed Windows off said DVD - RW drive.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this behavior?

Specs:

Motherboard: BIOSTAR TZ77XE3

Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K

Hard Drive 1: Western Digital 7200 PRM Black 2TB Drive (original drive in rig now set up as the secondary)

Hard Drive 2: Seagate Firecuda hybrid drive 2TB 7200rpm (new primary drive)

DVD-RW: Samsung SH-224BB/BEBE Internal 24X DVD Burner

No jumpers are installed and all are plugged into the SATA 3.0 ports.

UEFI Boot is enabled

SMART Enabled

AHCI Enabled

Intel Rapid Start Enabled

I've seen this before, never found out exactly why but for me the fix was to plug the DVD drive into my boards secondary SATA controller.

I'm pretty sure it's because your board is running a very early UEFI implementation and Intel hadn't got RST working correctly with UEFI yet. If you are experiencing the same issue I was then disabling UEFI boot should allow the drive to work normally.

Fyi when I upgraded to Z97 the issue went away entirely.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Check your BIOS/EUFI/whatever it's called. Adding the DVD drive messes up your boot drive order. Fix that, and all should be golden.

check your BIOS and check your boot order it could be set to the DVD drive as the first option, just change it to the HDD and you should be fine unless its a differant issue

13 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I've seen this before, never found out exactly why but for me the fix was to plug the DVD drive into my boards secondary SATA controller.

I'm pretty sure it's because your board is running a very early UEFI implementation and Intel hadn't got RST working correctly with UEFI yet. If you are experiencing the same issue I was then disabling UEFI boot should allow the drive to work normally.

Fyi when I upgraded to Z97 the issue went away entirely.

Okay.... after a lot of trial and error I have gotten it to work.  My computer only has the one set of SATA 3.0 ports and disabling UEFI boot did not fix the problem.

However, what did fix the problem is setting "windows boot manager" to boot option 1, followed by the DVD-RW drive and then the seagate drive.  Cheers all to the quick replies!  Keep your fingers crossed everything else is smooth sailing.  I have never had this much trouble doing a clean install before lol.  For those interested I have included a quote from another forum on why Windows boot manager fixes the issue.

"
The following explanation was found on Wikipedia:
Unlike BIOS, UEFI does not rely on a boot sector, defining instead a boot manager as part of the UEFI specification. When a computer is powered on, the boot manager checks the boot configuration and, based on its settings, loads and executes the specified operating system loader or operating system kernel. The boot configuration is a set of global-scope variables stored in NVRAM, including the boot variables that indicate the paths to operating system loaders or kernels, which as a component class of UEFI applications are stored as files on the firmware-accessible EFI System partition (ESP). "