Multiple display setup

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

You are using a splitter. This just splits/duplicates the signal. If you have only a single video output connector on your laptop, you can only send out a single signal/1 screen. So it will always be a cloned screen.

If your laptop has multiple output ports (but just different types) you might get the propper converters and connect each monitor to it's own output signal and extend your desktop screen.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had the answer to my problem with my dual monitor setup.

I am trying to connect my laptop 2 monitors and have the laptop screen off

One monitor is 2560*1080 (ultrawide) and the other 1600*900

My HP Envy x360 (2016) with an amd a12 9700p and 8gb ram (windows 10) only has 1 hdmi 

so I used a 4k hdmi splitter to allow me to have 4 hdmi connections (only using 2 of them though)

to me 1600*900 monitor I am using a hdmi to VGA adaptor due to it only having a VGA and no HDMI, when this is just in my laptops HDMI then the 1600*900 monitor works perfectly

so does the 2560*1080 monitor when plugged directly into my laptop

when using the splitter if I plug the 2560*1080 monitor into the splitter first then the 1600*900 one, the 2560 works fine, but then the 1600 says "input signal out of range", I know this is because my laptop is trying to send it a 1080p signal and it cannot handle this due to being 1600*900, however, there is no apparent way for me to change what signal my laptop pushes to it

however, if I plug in the 1600 monitor into the splitter first then the 2560 monitor then the 1600 monitor works fine and the 2560 monitor just duplicates the 1600*900 image of the 1600 monitor, plugged in in this configuration, the monirtors are just displaying the same thing and there is now 3rd monitor in windows 10 settings

Can my lapto0p only handle 1 monitor or is there some setting i need to change?

1st picture is when the 2560*1080 monitor is plugged in first

2nd picture is a close up of 1600*900 monitor when 2560*1080 monitor is plugged into splitter first

3rd picture is when 1600*900 plugged into splitter before 2560*1080 monitor

20171217_162108.jpg

20171229_120751.jpg

20171229_120851.jpg

You are using a splitter. This just splits/duplicates the signal. If you have only a single video output connector on your laptop, you can only send out a single signal/1 screen. So it will always be a cloned screen.

If your laptop has multiple output ports (but just different types) you might get the propper converters and connect each monitor to it's own output signal and extend your desktop screen.

HDMI doesn't support running separate displays off one port. At most, it can display the same image to both, but it doesn't have the capability to send different images to more than one monitor off a single port. 

Display Port can do that via an MST hub or daisy chaining, but HDMI cannot. 

24 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

HDMI doesn't support running separate displays off one port. At most, it can display the same image to both, but it doesn't have the capability to send different images to more than one monitor off a single port. 

Display Port can do that via an MST hub or daisy chaining, but HDMI cannot. 

Ok thanks for the help I have a usb C port on my laptop (not thunderbolt) do you think this could work through a usbc to hdmi adaptor? thanks

26 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Ok thanks, I guess I won't be able to use hdmi then, do you know if I could use a usb c (not thunderbolt) to hmdi adapter for a second display? thanks 

Nope, I don't know. But I bet someone else knows. (or google perhaps)

1 minute ago, BenA said:

Ok thanks for the help I have a usb C port on my laptop (not thunderbolt) do you think this could work through a usbc to hdmi adaptor? thanks

Don't think so. You'd need a USB C port that supports alt modes, which I don't think yours does. It's at least not mentioned anywhere, so I assume it doesn't support it. 

11 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Nope, I don't know. But I bet someone else knows. (or google perhaps)

Ok, thank you

9 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Don't think so. You'd need a USB C port that supports alt modes, which I don't think yours does. It's at least not mentioned anywhere, so I assume it doesn't support it. 

Ok doubt it will work then, thanks