Thoughts on this please

benji_

Please dont tell me to swap something out because it isnt worth it or the like.

I want to know if anything isnt compatible because PCPartPicker isnt always correct on compatibility.

Hopefully this'l be my next build but by the time I can afford it, new hardware would of come out so the prices will go down.

Thanks in advance.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Tpeb/saved/#view=LhHQVn 

CPU: i7 4790k 

GPU: Gigabyte Windforce3 GTX 1080

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance 1600MHz (@1333Mhz) + 8GB Balisticx Sport or something 1333MHz

MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5

PSU: 1000W EVGA 1000G 80+ GOLD

Case: Dark Base 700

Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler + Standard Case Fans

Drives: Intel SSD5 180GB (Boot Drive) + Seagate Baracuda 1TB HDD + Seagate Baracuda 4TB HDD

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow RGB 2013

Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB

Speakers: Creative T15 Bluetooth Speakers

Microphone: Samson Meteor Mic

Monitor: AOC G2590VXQ 75Hz + ASUS VS247 + Shitty Generic 1080p 60Hz TV

LED Controller: NZXT HUE+

9 minutes ago, benji_ said:

Please dont tell me to swap something out because it isnt worth it or the like.

I want to know if anything isnt compatible because PCPartPicker isnt always correct on compatibility.

Hopefully this'l be my next build but by the time I can afford it, new hardware would of come out so the prices will go down.

Thanks in advance.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Tpeb/saved/#view=LhHQVn 

Everything seems to be compatible.

*cough cough* Ryzen *cough*

Had a custom pc, but I traded it for a Razer Blade 15 with a RTX 2070

1 minute ago, Attona said:

*cough cough* Ryzen *cough*

i dont want a fire inside my case :P

thanks lol

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance 1600MHz (@1333Mhz) + 8GB Balisticx Sport or something 1333MHz

Drives: Intel SSD5 180GB (Boot Drive) + Seagate Baracuda 1TB HDD + Seagate Baracuda 4TB HDD

1 minute ago, benji_ said:

thanks lol

*cough cough* Ryzen chips have the same TDP, if not lower than the i7 on your list *cough*

4 minutes ago, benji_ said:

thanks lol

So to avoid a fire, you put more heat unit the system, by using the 8700K? Ok.

Anyway, the system should work, but it's quite a silly build, where many parts don't make sense

:)

4 minutes ago, seon123 said:

So to avoid a fire, you put more heat unit the system, by using the 8700K? Ok.

Anyway, the system should work, but it's quite a silly build, where many parts don't make sense

What's silly about it?

1 minute ago, Attona said:

What's silly about it?

Assuming it's mainly for gaming. 

RAM. The increase to ~3000MHz would cost £10-20 (0,3-0-7% of the total budget), but increase the performance by several percent. 

The overpriced SSD. It's not a particularly good SSD, and it has less storage than, and costs more than other SSDs. 

The overpriced HDDs. What do you even need that much storage for? Assuming it's for raid, the WD Gold HDDs would be better options. But those are also overpriced. 

An SLI setup. Multi GPU support is going down. Fewer and fewer games support it, and the scaling is getting worse. It also comes with the usual SLI issues. 

The overkill PSU. The RM850x has more than enough wattage for the build, costs £40 less, and is quieter. 

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Assuming it's mainly for gaming. 

RAM. The increase to ~3000MHz would cost £10-20 (0,3-0-7% of the total budget), but increase the performance by several percent. 

The overpriced SSD. It's not a particularly good SSD, and it has less storage than, and costs more than other SSDs. 

The overpriced HDDs. What do you even need that much storage for? Assuming it's for raid, the WD Gold HDDs would be better options. But those are also overpriced. 

An SLI setup. Multi GPU support is going down. Fewer and fewer games support it, and the scaling is getting worse. It also comes with the usual SLI issues. 

The overkill PSU. The RM850x has more than enough wattage for the build, costs £40 less, and is quieter. 

I agree on the RAM, and the storage. However SLI might not be the best thing for price to performance, however it's currently the best GPU setup a computer can have (unless he wanted to use a Titan Xp, but that's not very worth the massive price associated with titan cards.), so if that's what he wants, he should go for it. And the PSU is not at all ov erkill, if he's planning on overclocking the CPU and GPUs.

10 minutes ago, Attona said:

I agree on the RAM, and the storage. However SLI might not be the best thing for price to performance, however it's currently the best GPU setup a computer can have (unless he wanted to use a Titan Xp, but that's not very worth the massive price associated with titan cards.), so if that's what he wants, he should go for it. And the PSU is not at all ov erkill, if he's planning on overclocking the CPU and GPUs.

As I said, SLI support is going down. So in many games he'll see 0% improvement over a single 1080 Ti. In some cases, a reduction of performance. 

850W is plenty for an overclocked 8700K and overclocked SLI 1080 Tis. 

Just now, seon123 said:

As I said, SLI support is going down. So in many games he'll see 0% improvement over a single 1080 Ti. In some cases, a reduction of performance. 

850W is plenty for an overclocked 8700K and overclocked SLI 1080 Tis. 

I don't know ofg a single game where you'll get worse performance in SLI.

13 hours ago, seon123 said:

8700k only supports up to 2600MHz, not sure if there is anyway to increase it anyway but with my current system, my ram is 2133MHz and i'll select that in the bios but it will only run at 1600MHz due to the cap with the 4790k

i've got this one in my current build and i've never had any problems with it, i dont really want to spend grands on just storage so thats why i have gone for this one and the 2 4tb hard drives which rather than going for an 8tb drive is because, 1: i think it looks better and 2: since i like to be organised so rather than putting it all on a 8tb, ive got 2 drives to organise.

I like how it looks and plus, by the time I can afford it prices would of gone down making it more worth it so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Better safe than sorry :P