Stock Thermal Paste Replacement

I just assembled my first PC and the idle CPU temps are good, ~30C, but load temps aren't great considering I want to overclock it, ~85C. These temps are at the stock settings for the CPU. I am using a Corsair H100i V2 and when I installed it I just used the preapplied thermal paste that came on the cooler. My question is: if I uninstall the cooler, clean it and CPU of the stock thermal paste, and use some new thermal paste would it make a significant difference in my load temps? If so, what brand/type of thermal paste should I use to replace the stock stuff?

Thanks in advance!

i7 8700K - 32G G.Skill Trident Z RGB - Asus Maximus X Hero - Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 - Corsair RM850X - Lian Li PC-O11 ROG - 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB Raid 1 - 500G Sandisk Ultra II - 250G Samsung 960 EVO

MAybe like a couple degrees but its unlikely mx 4 thermal paste is one of the best. Use isophrophyl alcohol to remove the current thermal paste.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

4 minutes ago, WhaSAAB713 said:

I just assembled my first PC and the idle CPU temps are good, ~30C, but load temps aren't great considering I want to overclock it, ~85C. These temps are at the stock settings for the CPU. I am using a Corsair H100i V2 and when I installed it I just used the preapplied thermal paste that came on the cooler. My question is: if I uninstall the cooler, clean it and CPU of the stock thermal paste, and use some new thermal paste would it make a significant difference in my load temps? If so, what brand/type of thermal paste should I use to replace the stock stuff?

Thanks in advance!

If you really want to, but the stuff that comes pre-applied on good quality AIOs is fine as-is. You'd only see an improvement of a degree or two.

What CPU are you using?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

MAybe like a couple degrees but its unlikely mx 4 thermal paste is one of the best. Use isophrophyl alcohol to remove the current thermal paste.

Thanks!

i7 8700K - 32G G.Skill Trident Z RGB - Asus Maximus X Hero - Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 - Corsair RM850X - Lian Li PC-O11 ROG - 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB Raid 1 - 500G Sandisk Ultra II - 250G Samsung 960 EVO

Just now, aisle9 said:

If you really want to, but the stuff that comes pre-applied on good quality AIOs is fine as-is. You'd only see an improvement of a degree or two.

What CPU are you using?

Intel i7 8700K with a Corsair H100i V2.

1 minute ago, WhaSAAB713 said:

Try increasing the fan curve in bios.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Just now, Vandorlot said:

Try increasing the fan curve in bios.

I have them set to max performance, they go straight to 100% once the CPU hits 50C.

1 minute ago, WhaSAAB713 said:

Do you mind posting up a PCPP of your entire build? Including info on your overclock speed and voltage? It's hard to say if/why you're running hot without knowing that.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Do you mind posting up a PCPP of your entire build? Including info on your overclock speed and voltage? It's hard to say if/why you're running hot without knowing that.

Sure, one sec.

What case do you have, fans, which way they are pointing to, and oc settings.

My Rig

Peripherals

10 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

PCPP list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tbCLWX

CPU is running stock, no OC at all, I believe it's stock voltage is 1.12V. 

Only differences in the PCPP list is the SSD is actually 500G, not 480G, and three of the six fans are non-RGB.

9 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

What case do you have, fans, which way they are pointing to, and oc settings.

Lian-Li PC-O11ROG, 6 Cooler Master Air Balance 120 Fans, 3 on the motherboard panel, 3 at the top. All are exhaust which I know isn't ideal but rear and bottom of the case are really well ventiliated for intake and so far the exhausted air has been cool, not warm. 

Clean the stock stuff off with alcohol and put some MX-4.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Clean the stock stuff off with alcohol and put some MX-4.

I'll definitely give that a try for starters.

18 minutes ago, WhaSAAB713 said:

Lian-Li PC-O11ROG, 6 Cooler Master Air Balance 120 Fans, 3 on the motherboard panel, 3 at the top. All are exhaust which I know isn't ideal but rear and bottom of the case are really well ventiliated for intake and so far the exhausted air has been cool, not warm. 

Motherboard panel? Id still flip 3 so that they are intake

My Rig

Peripherals

2 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

Motherboard panel? Id still flip 3 so that they are intake

Yea, if you look at the case the front is all glass, so the fans are mounted on the right side of the motherboard panel and can intake from or exhaust to the rear chamber of the case. I'll try to figure out which 3 might be best to flip.

THe ones to the right of the motherboard are probably the best to flip. The problem with all outtake is that theres no source of air and all fans are working agaimst each other making them each slower. Also where the radiator mounted. Front(right of motherboard) or top?

My Rig

Peripherals

4 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

THe ones to the right of the motherboard are probably the best to flip. The problem with all outtake is that theres no source of air and all fans are working agaimst each other making them each slower. Also where the radiator mounted. Front(right of motherboard) or top?

Those were the ones I was thinking of flipping, the radiator is mounted in the front/right of motherboard.

5 minutes ago, WhaSAAB713 said:

Those were the ones I was thinking of flipping, the radiator is mounted in the front/right of motherboard.

Ok good flip them and check temps. Then if you want replace thermal paste

My Rig

Peripherals