Question about ryzen/first time build

Ok, so i'm planning to build a PC with Ryzen inside and i'm a little curious as to which settings i should change or set in the bios of the MSI Z370 PLUS board i'm planning to buy. I've got most thing figured put but i'm always open to suggestions. These are the thing i have chosen

MSI x370 plus

Galax GTX 1080 EXOC

ASUS Xonar strix sound card

Fractal design Meshify

Samsung 850 EVO 500gb

WD Black 2tb

AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

G.Skill FlareX ddr4 2400MHz

Noctua NH U12S SE AM4

Asus AC56 wi fi card

Thanks!

You'll want faster RAM than that. Aim for 3000 or 3200 memory.

I'd also go for the 1600 instead as it's basically the same chip but cheaper.

Cooling wise, not too sure the U12S will comfortably do 3.9-4GHz OC (which you'll want with a 1080).

You're going for 1440p gaming I presume?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

The 1600 is better price/performance than the 1600x.  Silicon Lottery is a gamble, but you can usually get X performance out of the 1600 without the extra TDP.  That being said, if you don't mind the few extra bucks, the X is a very nice chip and will get more OC'd performance than the non-X.  You would want a better cooler than you have listed for the X if you plan to OC, but it would be fine for the non-X in OC.

If you switched to the AsRock Killer SLI/AC you'd save a few bucks as it has included AC wifi.  I run this board, and am quite happy with it!

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

On 12/26/2017 at 5:40 PM, MrScottishGamer said:

Ive got a guy that will sell me an i7 3970x and a motherboard for £220 which is around the same price i can buy an i5 4690k and a motherboard for , which one should i go for ?

On 12/26/2017 at 7:30 PM, MrScottishGamer said:

Im upgrading from an fx 8350 , how much of a boost in gaming performance do you think ill get with each cpu ?? 

That mobo is for Intel CPUs (and I must wonder why no one else looked at that part. You need to get Ryzen compatible board.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Nvm

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

21 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

You'll want faster RAM than that. Aim for 3000 or 3200 memory.

I'd also go for the 1600 instead as it's basically the same chip but cheaper.

Cooling wise, not too sure the U12S will comfortably do 3.9-4GHz OC (which you'll want with a 1080).

You're going for 1440p gaming I presume?

I can't afford it, and honestly that will only help when it comes down to thing like better results for benchmarking and actual work, games wont really see to much of a difference anyway. plus I have a GTX 1080, anyway. Frames will be real up there, so yeah

21 hours ago, zombienerd said:

The 1600 is better price/performance than the 1600x.  Silicon Lottery is a gamble, but you can usually get X performance out of the 1600 without the extra TDP.  That being said, if you don't mind the few extra bucks, the X is a very nice chip and will get more OC'd performance than the non-X.  You would want a better cooler than you have listed for the X if you plan to OC, but it would be fine for the non-X in OC.

If you switched to the AsRock Killer SLI/AC you'd save a few bucks as it has included AC wifi.  I run this board, and am quite happy with it!

I'm aware of that but honestly i'm in it for clocks per cycle, so I want the best performance for pricing per dollar, so thanks but im cooley oh!

18 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

That mobo is for Intel CPUs (and I must wonder why no one else looked at that part. You need to get Ryzen compatible board.

x370 is for RYZEN CPUS guaranteed. check if you don't believe me

21 hours ago, Thatdudeoverthere said:

Why the sound card?

because the card is boss and the on board audio isn't good for surround.

26 minutes ago, MR. Cammen said:

x370 is for RYZEN CPUS guaranteed. check if you don't believe me

Then you have typo in OP. It reads Z370. I know it's minor thing, but since they are so similar it's better to be sure.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, MR. Cammen said:

I can't afford it, and honestly that will only help when it comes down to thing like better results for benchmarking and actual work, games wont really see to much of a difference anyway. plus I have a GTX 1080, anyway. Frames will be real up there, so yeah

Hate to be the party pooper, but check out this video:

While some games show near-negligible differences, others really take a beating with slow memory. If you bought a R5 for just 1080p gaming, you'll want the faster RAM.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I've seen its from paul's hardware and yes i'm aware but i still really don't care about those extra frames and faster editing and loading times for games and work and such and i really don't consider the more expensive ram to be "Good Value" at this specific time so yeah, i guess i wait then upgrade my RAM

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Then you have typo in OP. It reads Z370. I know it's minor thing, but since they are so similar it's better to be sure.

Hay what's a LMG pilot?

21 minutes ago, MR. Cammen said:

Hay what's a LMG pilot?

LMG side of Floatplane membership.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 12/27/2017 at 12:18 AM, MR. Cammen said:

Ok, so i'm planning to build a PC with Ryzen inside and i'm a little curious as to which settings i should change or set in the bios of the MSI Z370 PLUS board i'm planning to buy. I've got most thing figured put but i'm always open to suggestions. These are the thing i have chosen

MSI x370 plus

Galax GTX 1080 EXOC

ASUS Xonar strix sound card

Fractal design Meshify

Samsung 850 EVO 500gb

WD Black 2tb

AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

G.Skill FlareX ddr4 2400MHz

Noctua NH U12S SE AM4

Asus AC56 wi fi card

Thanks!

Ok, a few things.

1.Please link a pcpartpicker.com list if you have one.

2.A sound card is not really necessary. Either put that money into a better CPU or GPU, or  buy an external DAC if you really want high quality audio.

3. Ryzen really benefits from higher clocked RAM. try for something running 3000MHz or higher.

Had a custom pc, but I traded it for a Razer Blade 15 with a RTX 2070

I know about the RAM but i cant afford it at the moment but i be sure to upgrade it in the future. The sound card i necessary and believe me you should here the on board audio of this particular motherboard. its shit, so i will get that, and the gaming performance wont really vary to much form higher clocked memory, but workloads will.