My friend needs help with his first build

BiggestFan
Go to solution Solved by BiggestFan,

4770k and 780ti. The rest is up to him.

4670k & 780.

Thank you :)

Ok, my friend needs help with his first build. His budget is 1600-1800$ He is mainly playing Runescape but also Call of Duty Ghosts and other games so the pc must be good enough for him to play games with.

CPU: FX-8320 @ 4.0GHz | Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme4 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB | GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  | SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: OCZ 750W ATX12V | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO | Case: Corsair Carbide 300R | Display: BenQ RL2455HM 24"

4670k & 780.

Thank you :)

CPU: FX-8320 @ 4.0GHz | Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme4 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB | GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  | SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: OCZ 750W ATX12V | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO | Case: Corsair Carbide 300R | Display: BenQ RL2455HM 24"

If he really wants to spend 1600-1800 then get the 4770k and 780ti but if he wants to spend less he should get the 4670k and 780. 

Ok, thank you man :)

What kind of dollars are you using?

Do you need a copy of Windows or any peripherals?

There's little point getting an i7 for gaming and the 780 Ti is a bad value.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What kind of dollars are you using?

Do you need a copy of Windows or any peripherals?

There's little point getting an i7 for gaming and the 780 Ti is a bad value.

true but if he is spending that much why not.

true but if he is spending that much why not.

Money saved can be used elsewhere like for upgrades...or food.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Money saved can be used elsewhere like for upgrades...or food.

Actually he needs an i7 and a 780ti because he is going to be playing the worst game ever, Call of Duty Ghost. It runs like shit and looks like shit. Jokes aside I believe it is better to pay a premium up front, if you have the money and just buy a new system in a few years when it is needed.  

Actually he needs an i7 and a 780ti because he is going to be playing the worst game ever, Call of Duty Ghost. It runs like shit and looks like shit. Jokes aside I believe it is better to pay a premium up front, if you have the money and just buy a new system in a few years when it is needed.  

That costs a lot more and doesn't last as long as a 290/780 + 8350/i5 and the rest of the money for upgrades as tech gets better and cheaper.

You're almost always going to get not the best value if you shop on the high end. 

That costs a lot more and doesn't last as long as a 290/780 + 8350/i5 and the rest of the money for upgrades as tech gets better and cheaper.

You're almost always going to get not the best value if you shop on the high end. 

I understand but my opinion is that you should spend as much as possible so that you do not have to upgrade in a year or 2.

On a side note, what voltage is your 3570k and what are your temps like with that Noctua Cooler?

I understand but my opinion is that you should spend as much as possible so that you do not have to upgrade in a year or 2.

On a side note, what voltage is your 3570k and what are your temps like with that Noctua Cooler?

Hmm. It's been unofficially proven that you get more performance out of your money by spending less initially and just upgrading more often since tech gets better and cheaper. There's a point where spending more becomes very much like throwing your money away. 

I'm running at 1.35v with temps usually at 25c but more like 40c because I've been keeping a heater at my feet lately. The temps don't peak 80c when at load and I'm only using one fan on it. 

Hmm. It's been unofficially proven that you get more performance out of your money by spending less initially and just upgrading more often since tech gets better and cheaper. There's a point where spending more becomes very much like throwing your money away. 

I'm running at 1.35v with temps usually at 25c but more like 40c because I've been keeping a heater at my feet lately. The temps don't peak 80c when at load and I'm only using one fan on it. 

Ill pick one up because my h90 broke last month. I'm going to try for 5ghz. I am currently running @ 4.5ghz 1.16v.

Ill pick one up because my h90 broke last month. I'm going to try for 5ghz. I am currently running @ 4.5ghz 1.16v.

That's a nice chip you have there..

*cries*

That's a nice chip you have there..

*cries*

I know I was soo excited when I started overclocking. Sadly the day I got my chip my h90 died.