RAID 0 Help

Go to solution Solved by 79wjd,
1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

RAID 0 gives you the space of both drives, but no higher speed. RAID 1 gives you redundancy in that if one drives fails, all your data is still stored on the second drive. RAID 5 does both.

RAID 5 requires three or more drives and is slower than RAID 1 (and obviously RAID 0) due to parity overhead. 

@Rezalis If you want to put two drives into RAID, then you have two options, RAID 0 and RAID 1. RAID 0 will theoretically double the speed (but also double the risk of all data being lost) and give you the space of both drives in usable space. RAID 1, which will give you redundancy but will give you a total capacity of only one of the drives. Both require the drives to be formatted, so you would have to completely erase both drives and then reinstall the OS. 

So I have two identical Samsung 850 EVOs both 500gb. If I were to RAID 0 them, would I get approx twice the speed and the full capacity of both drives (1tb)? Or would I just get twice the speed but only 500gb of storage? I also have an operating system and programs installed on one drive. Is it no longer possible to RAID 0 them?

RAID 0 gives you the space of both drives, but no higher speed. RAID 1 gives you redundancy in that if one drives fails, all your data is still stored on the second drive. RAID 5 does both.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Before going any further, please watch this video provided by LTT.  It may explain a little further than I can about Raid0 and whether or not a Raid0 using SSD is practical.  IMHO, I don't believe that using SSD's in a Raid0 will grant you any advantages.

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

RAID 5 requires three or more drives and is slower than RAID 1 (and obviously RAID 0) due to parity overhead. 

@Rezalis If you want to put two drives into RAID, then you have two options, RAID 0 and RAID 1. RAID 0 will theoretically double the speed (but also double the risk of all data being lost) and give you the space of both drives in usable space. RAID 1, which will give you redundancy but will give you a total capacity of only one of the drives. Both require the drives to be formatted, so you would have to completely erase both drives and then reinstall the OS. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Is it possible for me to just combine both drives into 1 without a raid config? It wouldn't increase the speed, but I just want both drives to act like one in file manager. I also do not want to reinstall the OS. The 550MBps I get is more than enough for me lol.

1 minute ago, Rezalis said:

Is it possible for me to just combine both drives into 1 without a raid config? It wouldn't increase the speed, but I just want both drives to act like one in file manager.

Not that I know of, I'm pretty sure RAID is the only way to do this.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 hour ago, Rezalis said:

Is it possible for me to just combine both drives into 1 without a raid config? It wouldn't increase the speed, but I just want both drives to act like one in file manager.

You could set the two up as a Spanned volume, which would basically use one drive as overflow, but the problem with that is you would have to fill up one before the other, which isn't ideal either.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.