i5 3570K vs i5 4670K

Go to solution Solved by Vitalius,

Well...

IB has the VRM's (Voltage Regulator Modules) on the Motherboard. Haswell has the VRM's on the CPU itself. This means that it is prone to Silicon Lottery (luck based), and so your overclocking potential is a combination of VRM quality and CPU quality. The VRMs being on the CPU means that it also gets much hotter, faster, as compared to the 3570k.

With IB, you can just choose a high quality motherboard. With Haswell, you have to roll the dice twice for every CPU you buy. Basically.

To summarize a comparison between the 3570k and the 4670k:

3570k is better at overclocking for aforementioned reasons, is cheaper (generally), runs cooler (helps for overclocking stability) and performs on par with (or better than) the 4670k.

4670k is new. And that's all I got for why it's "better".

Both sockets are effectively dead because the next CPUs coming out (I believe Broadwell, IIRC) will have the VRMs on the motherboard again. Meaning that even though the next line of CPUs will have the same socket, it will be incompatible with current Haswell motherboards because they lack VRM's. 

So, imo, between the two choices, 3570k is best. 

3570k's can be expected to reach 4.5GHz on average. 4670k's can be expected to reach 4.2GHz on average. With a Corsair A50, I would expect you to be able to get the average for both easily. Beyond that, it's luck.

I keep reading posts about why IB is better for OC and how Haswell is harder to OC, but I don't know why. Can someone explain why Haswell is harder to OC and what benefits each of those CPUs have over the other? Planning on buying new MB and CPU around February and I need some advice.

Also, what kind of OC would i be able to get with a Corsair A50? (Beginner in overclocking)

I currently have a i5 750 OC at 3.8Ghz and it runs around 35C normally and around 60C under load with the A50 (i haven't touched the voltage). Would i be able to get any of the newer i5 to 4.4Ghz with the A50?

This is for gaming only, nothing else. No mention of budget because it's not an issue.

Thanks!

Well...

IB has the VRM's (Voltage Regulator Modules) on the Motherboard. Haswell has the VRM's on the CPU itself. This means that it is prone to Silicon Lottery (luck based), and so your overclocking potential is a combination of VRM quality and CPU quality. The VRMs being on the CPU means that it also gets much hotter, faster, as compared to the 3570k.

With IB, you can just choose a high quality motherboard. With Haswell, you have to roll the dice twice for every CPU you buy. Basically.

To summarize a comparison between the 3570k and the 4670k:

3570k is better at overclocking for aforementioned reasons, is cheaper (generally), runs cooler (helps for overclocking stability) and performs on par with (or better than) the 4670k.

4670k is new. And that's all I got for why it's "better".

Both sockets are effectively dead because the next CPUs coming out (I believe Broadwell, IIRC) will have the VRMs on the motherboard again. Meaning that even though the next line of CPUs will have the same socket, it will be incompatible with current Haswell motherboards because they lack VRM's. 

3570k's can be expected to reach 4.5GHz on average. 4670k's can be expected to reach 4.2GHz on average. With a Corsair A50, I would expect you to be able to get the average for both easily. Beyond that, it's luck.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

For overclocking it is better, power consumption on Haswell is much better though. But in terms of Overclocking yeah Ivy all the way.

But the Corsair cooler is not that good for the price. You would better with a 212 EVO since it is basicly the same but cheaper. But if budget is not an issue get a darkrock pro or a Noctua.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

For overclocking it is better, power consumption on Haswell is much better though. But in terms of Overclocking yeah Ivy all the way.

But the Corsair cooler is not that good for the price. You would better with a 212 EVO since it is basicly the same but cheaper. But if budget is not an issue get a darkrock pro or a Noctua.

Well, he said he already has the Corsair A50 with the i5 750 (typo?). So if he already has it, it's the most cost effective option.

The cooler is fine. It's just expensive for the performance.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

The reason why I mention the Corsair A50 is because I have it right now in my rig. I will upgrade to a closed-loop like the H100i in the future to get a higher OC, but not at the same time i'll buy the CPU. Thanks Vitaluis for the info about the differences. Much appreciated.

What about the chipsets? I read that Z87 has more SATA3 ports and more USB3 ports that Z77, but that's not that important to me. I was looking at the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO as a potential MB. Any opnions on that combination (with i5 3570K)?

NB: No typo...it is a Intel i5 750, socket Nehalem (http://ark.intel.com/products/42915)

Well, he said he already has the Corsair A50 with the i5 750 (typo?). So if he already has it, it's the most cost effective option.

The cooler is fine. It's just expensive for the performance.

I don't think it was a typo. I had an i5 650 in my first system.  ;)  I never got around to oc'ing it before I gave it away though.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.