Bad GPU Performance after BIOS update gtx 1080

41 minutes ago, Motorbreath said:

Check with GPU-z what is the clock speed...

My clocks are normal. 5006MHz Memory and 2000MHz on GPU Clock

1 hour ago, Sol3R said:

My clocks are normal. 5006MHz Memory and 2000MHz on GPU Clock

Then you are good.

How are games running on 1080p?

3 hours ago, Motorbreath said:

Then you are good.

How are games running on 1080p?

I am on 1080p dude, I told you Overwatch dips bellow 144fps, although the GPU usage is like 39-40%. On PUBG it's inside 100, sometimes to 80 sometimes to 120 but PUBG is PUBG. The benchmarks I did before and after the bios were the same 104.2 before and 105.9 after.

5 hours ago, alphaproject said:

What happened to the OP though? Gigabyte still has his card I assume....

Still waiting for almost 4 weeks now...

2 minutes ago, VNNoob said:

I send them a ticket, on e-support gigabyte and they still didn't respond. What is wrong with these ppl? It's a 700€ GPU, for Christ's sake.

Sounds like normal support to me. Price isn’t a reason for an expedient turn around, especially a price so low. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:25 PM, VNNoob said:

That sucks....

On 28.1.2018 at 10:28 AM, alphaproject said:

That sucks....

Just got my GPU back and it is working normally again.

On 2/3/2018 at 2:58 PM, VNNoob said:

Just got my GPU back and it is working normally again.

Glad to hear it.

Maybe you could backup and share your BIOS file here and/or TechPowerUp for anyone still having the issue.

On 4.2.2018 at 5:14 PM, Integro said:

Glad to hear it.

Maybe you could backup and share your BIOS file here and/or TechPowerUp for anyone still having the issue.

Here you go

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/196623/196623

On 3.2.2018 at 5:52 PM, alphaproject said:

SWEET dude... don't brick this one.

Yeah man I'll be careful

Thanks you guys for all your help!

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, I know this thread quite old but I got same graphic card model which is Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming G1, and already updated the bios to F2 quite some time ago which is 86.04.17.40.38 from F1 bios which is 86.04.17.00.66. I downloaded the bios file from gigabyte official website before I notice they already removed it for some reason. I never had this problem with my bandwidth been cut in half like OP had. My core clock is 1946(sometimes it pushes higher) and my memory clock is 1251 when I use GPU-Z under render test. I havent noticed any performance issue with my card except some stutter in my latest game which is Final Fantasy XV(not sure if its hardware issue or game issue or it could be anything else and I game on 1080p). So my question here is should I update my bios to the latest one as mentioned from the post above or should I just leave it be? Thanks in advance for any suggestion  :) 

6 minutes ago, Seph91 said:

Hi guys, I know this thread quite old but I got same graphic card model which is Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming G1, and already updated the bios to F2 quite some time ago which is 86.04.17.40.38 from F1 bios which is 86.04.17.00.66. I downloaded the bios file from gigabyte official website before I notice they already removed it for some reason. I never had this problem with my bandwidth been cut in half like OP had. My core clock is 1946(sometimes it pushes higher) and my memory clock is 1251 when I use GPU-Z under render test. I havent noticed any performance issue with my card except some stutter in my latest game which is Final Fantasy XV(not sure if its hardware issue or game issue or it could be anything else and I game on 1080p). So my question here is should I update my bios to the latest one as mentioned from the post above or should I just leave it be? 

Should prolly narrow it down to the card first. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Should prolly narrow it down to the card first. 

Hi Mick,

Sorry to ask but I dont understand. What do u mean by that?

2 minutes ago, Seph91 said:

Hi Mick,

Sorry to ask but I dont understand. What do u mean by that?

As in make sure the rest of the system isn’t holding it back, ie ram, cpu, drivers. 

Go back to a previous driver. Watch the system and ensure it isn’t maxed out somewhere else. 

• 2 years later...

Hi everybody!

This is an old topic, but still, the problem described here still occurs, as I painfully learned!

I bought a used Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1080 on ebay, and after installing it and booting, I quickly realised there was something wrong.

FPS were stuck at 10-15 in furmark, and while the GPU would ramp up the Ghz ok, ram was stuck at 405Mhz.

So I made a quick search and ended up here, as you may guess!  😉

I fired up GPUz and noted, like someone else above, that the memory type was not recognized, it displayed "unknown", which, of course, fired all the alarm bells in my head (see pic).

In Gigabyte's own utility, I learned the bios version was "F2". The device ID of my card being 10DE-1B80 - 1458-3702, I downloaded the correct bios from Techpowerup.

I downloaded the latest NVFLASH utility also and flashed the F30 bios, which is, AFAIK, the latest version for this card (bios is from 2017, so pretty recent). Complete BIOS Version number is 86.04.60.00.B4. Note that you *have* to check on the Techpowerup website that your card device ID *matches* the version of the BIOS you intend to flash. 

Also, to flash the bios, no need to boot from a DOS stick. What you need to do is this:

-Open device manager

-Deactivate your graphics card with right click: windows will fall back to a "degraded" mode using the generic VGA driver. Doing so will however give NVFLASH low level access to the BIOS chip on the graphics card.

-Put NVFLASH.exe and the bios file in a directory on your PC

-Open a command windows in admin mode

-navigate to your bios directory

-enter "nvflash *name_of_the_bios_file", press ENTER. Do not use the "-6" option, as this will allow nvflash to flash a bios that does not correspond to your card. (useful for people who tweak their bioses for GPU/VRAM frequency etc.)

-Let NVFLASH do its thing, it's pretty quick. If NVFLASH does not give a warning, then it means the bios is the right one for your card.

-When flashing is over, exit the command window

-Re-activate your graphics card in the device manager

-Reboot your computer, and that's it!

Well, as it turned out, I think Gigabyte made a huge blunder with this one, and it seems they offered the wrong BIOS version for some time through their utility! The guy I bought the card from does not game very often, if at all, and I think he just flashed the BIOS through the utility thinking it was the right thing to do (it is, as long as the manufacturer does not mess up the procedure...), and sold the card.

Well, I wrote this post in the hope it might help someone as it helped me.

Cheers from France!

EDIT: this is the BIOS I flashed for *this* card ID (see "Device ID" in the picture below):

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/196623/gigabyte-gtx1080-8192-171012

Same as the one mentioned on previous page.

Also, I read somewhere that if you card comes with, say, a F1 bios, then you *have* to upgrade to F2 and *not* F20 or any other digit. If it's a F20, then update with F30 and so on. (If I remember well, that was on gigabyte's forum or something like that, and that numbering scheme makes sense). So I guess my card probably originally had a F3 bios and needed upgrade to a F30, not F2, which does *not* work on this card.

GPUz.jpg