How much wattage do modern displays use?

Billy_Mays

Im looking to do a DIY project for a portable PC, I got a cheap laptop that has a 65w wall adapter, so I was wondering what display I can use that are relatively small and have both VGA and HDMI (HDMI is for consoles so I can switch between playing games and having a desktop), I do have a 300gb HDD but I need to get a new logic board for it but Im not sure how much the logic board's gonna cost me cause I'd like to do this on a $150 CAD budget, the HDD's pcb model number is JUE234N82434, or thats what I can see because they're is a scratch preventing me to see what is there, the HDD model number is HD321HJ made by Samsung. So what can I do to make this project possible?

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Linus has used USB-powered displays in the past for his DIY Project WhatevertheheckRazernamedtheirtriplescreenlaptop, although those were pretty expensive(350 USD).

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Linus has used USB-powered displays in the past for his DIY Project WhatevertheheckRazernamedtheirtriplescreenlaptop, although those were pretty expensive(350 USD).

Yeah I thought of that but it doesnt have VGA or HDMI 

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:
  Hide contents

image.jpg

I prefer not to use dongles

9 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

Yeah I thought of that but it doesnt have VGA or HDMI 

Umm, yes it did. You just needed special cables. As for the hard drive, replacing the PCB is not usually a good idea. Every drive has it's own particular ways of doing something. Just get a new drive. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

5 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Umm, yes it did. You just needed special cables. As for the hard drive, replacing the PCB is not usually a good idea. Every drive has it's own particular ways of doing something. Just get a new drive. 

I dont wanna spend too much on the project though

eitherway you wanna do the project or you dont, you gonna need a new drive anyhow you wont be able to fix this.

also while we are at it since you want to make a portable PC you should get an SSD simply because vibrations dont hurt them.

for 150 bucks you will never ever be able to purchase the parts you need and have anything thats usable maybe a raspberry pi and some small display but thats it with the budget.

6 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

eitherway you wanna do the project or you dont, you gonna need a new drive anyhow you wont be able to fix this.

also while we are at it since you want to make a portable PC you should get an SSD simply because vibrations dont hurt them.

for 150 bucks you will never ever be able to purchase the parts you need and have anything thats usable maybe a raspberry pi and some small display but thats it with the budget.

The laptop parts are from 2012 so I dont want to waste tons of money on it