PC Upgrade Advice

Joshyjames

I recently started streaming at 1080p 60fps and I've noticed that after a while my game fps shoots down to about a 30 fps average.

My current specs are:

i5-4690k @4.2 Ghz

Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OC edition

Gigabyte GA-z97x-ud5h Motherboard

16 Gb ddr3 1666Hz

2 TB Hard Drive - Samsung 840 evo 250GB and 500GB

EVGA Supernova G2 850W Power Supply

Two HP Monitors both at 60Hz - One at 1920x1080 and one at 1920x1200

I'm thinking that I would need to upgrade my CPU but I'm not sure if I should go Ryzen or Intel. Any help Appreciated

2 minutes ago, Joshyjames said:

I recently started streaming at 1080p 60fps and I've noticed that after a while my game fps shoots down to about a 30 fps average.

My current specs are:

i5-4690k @4.2 Ghz

16 Gb ddr3 1666Hz

I'm thinking that I would need to upgrade my CPU but I'm not sure if I should go Ryzen or Intel. Any help Appreciated

I'd say upgrade to a Ryzen 5 1600, and overclock it up to about 4Ghz.

You should probably upgrade your GPU, a 3gig model can play games 1080p 60fps, but streaming, gaming, and using 2 monitors isn't the best idea with that type of stress. Your CPU is fine, I recommend the 1050 to or probably the 6g 1060. Hope this helps!

i say start streaming a 720p

Main rig                             I also got some cheep lg phone and a chromebook, witch I have been known to mine bitcoin on sometimes

CPU: R5 2400g                        

RAM: 8gb ram

MOBO: msi b350 pc mate 

CASE: Eclipse p300

PSU: 500w corsair

Just now, TechMan2175 said:

i say start streaming a 720p

That would help, but I just don't see how a 1060 3g can Handel all of that

1 minute ago, JustAnotherCatMeme said:

You should probably upgrade your GPU, a 3gig model can play games 1080p 60fps, but streaming, gaming, and using 2 monitors isn't the best idea with that type of stress. Your CPU is fine, I recommend the 1050 to or probably the 6g 1060. Hope this helps!

The gpu isn't that important when streaming, A 3gb 1060 is fine for 1080p 60fps. His lack of extra cpu cores are the main issues

Can you tell me what games you are streaming?? Because if you streaming WoW, CSGO, hearthstone, Dota2, HotS or indie games you don't need any gpu upgrade.

6 minutes ago, Joshyjames said:

My current specs are:

i5-4690k @4.2 Ghz

16 Gb ddr3 1666Hz

Also what streaming software are you using?

Finding an i7 4790k would be an easy upgrade. That would give you some extra threads to help with streaming. 

All of the streaming power goes onto the cpu thats why some streamers have a second computer with good cpu and integrated graphics

if you plan on buying a brand new cpu from intel go for i5 8600k minimum, or try to find a deal if anyone wants to sell their old 7700k

2 minutes ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

Finding an i7 4790k would be an easy upgrade. That would give you some extra threads to help with streaming. 

Unfortunately getting a i7 4790k could be more expensive than getting a ryzen 1600 and a b350 motherboard.

4 minutes ago, JustAnotherCatMeme said:

That would help, but I just don't see how a 1060 3g can Handel all of that

Streaming and having more monitors doesn't put any more stress on the GPU than just gaming on one monitor. It's his CPU.

OP, if you can find a good deal on an i7 4770k or 4790k I'd go for that, if you're looking for a new platform an x370 AM4 board (the x370 is a stronger chipset than b350 and the boards generally have better VRMs, for more futureproofing for future zen cpus) and an R7 1700 would be very good for streaming.

Asrock and Gigabyte make the best X370 boards afaik.

LTT's Fastest 9800gt

LTT Forum Beginners Guide

3 minutes ago, c00lFD said:

Unfortunately getting a i7 4790k could be more expensive than getting a ryzen 1600 and a b350 motherboard.

Possibly, but he would also need to upgrade to ddr4 ram and that will cost an arm and a leg. Looks like they are going for between 250 and 300 on ebay, might be able to get cheaper on Craigslist. 

1 hour ago, bakidota said:

Can you tell me what games you are streaming?? Because if you streaming WoW, CSGO, hearthstone, Dota2, HotS or indie games you don't need any gpu upgrade.

I'm Streaming Black Ops 3 zombies currently

1 hour ago, c00lFD said:

The gpu isn't that important when streaming, A 3gb 1060 is fine for 1080p 60fps. His lack of extra cpu cores are the main issues

Yea, my gpu usage isn't maxed out and the temps don't even go above 60 while my cpu is completely maxed