Overclocking question

Guys, what if I want to overclock the ryzen 5 1600 or ryzen 5 1600x (cause i want to buy one of them), so will the CPU cores frequency stuck, for example, in 3.8GHz forever.

I mean if I overclocked it to 3.8GHz, it will be in 3.8GHz everytime. Or will it be just boosting to 3.8GHz when it's needed! For example, if it's in idle i'll be 2GHz or smth, then it's in load it'll be 3.8GHz.

Thanks for answers!

It depends on your Windows and BIOS settings. When Windows is in Balanced mode, it will automatically throttle the CPU, but it will not reduce voltage. When overclocking your Ryzen CPU, ensure that you're using adaptive voltage or something similar - for testing purposes, using an explicit voltage might be the best route, but afterwards, change it to adaptive or the CPU will remain at that voltage constantly.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

It depends on your Windows and BIOS settings. When Windows is in Balanced mode, it will automatically throttle the CPU, but it will not reduce voltage. When overclocking your Ryzen CPU, ensure that you're using adaptive voltage or something similar - for testing purposes, using an explicit voltage might be the best route, but afterwards, change it to adaptive or the CPU will remain at that voltage constantly.

So if i'll overclock the r5 1600 to smth GHz and choose adaptive voltages. Then it will be on low voltages when it's idle and will up higher when it will be under load, right?

Just now, plushkinn said:

So if i'll overclock the r5 1600 to smth GHz and choose adaptive voltages. Then it will be on low voltages when it's idle and will up higher when it will be under load, right?

Yup, that's the idea.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Yup, that's the idea.

Thank you very much!

Cpu's work with multiplier mate. Standard clocks are 100mhz and then the multiplier gives you the total GHZ for example 100mhz times 30 is 3ghz ( 1000mhz=1ghz). And yeah in desktop when You don't do anything the clock will drop drastically like it will stay under 1Ghz. Always staying at top speed is very inefficient so engineers implemented power saving stuff. By the way you can run your cpu at top speed at all times but you need to change bios settings for that (if you don't change anything it will slow down as you stay idle or do low hardware taxing stuff). 

1 minute ago, bakidota said:

Cpu's work with multiplier mate. Standard clocks are 100mhz and then the multiplier gives you the total GHZ for example 100mhz times 30 is 3ghz ( 1000mhz=1ghz). And yeah in desktop when You don't do anything the clock will drop drastically like it will stay under 1Ghz. Always staying at top speed is very inefficient so engineers implemented power saving stuff. By the way you can run your cpu at top speed at all times but you need to change bios settings for that (if you don't change anything it will slow down as you stay idle or do low hardware taxing stuff). 

So then it will down on clock speed and voltages automatically when it's idle and up when under load?

3 minutes ago, bakidota said:

Putting Windows into the High Performance power state keeps clocks up constantly.

Just now, plushkinn said:

So then it will down on clock speed and voltages automatically when it's idle and up when under load?

Ye both will go down the clock and voltage vcore

Always use balanced mode unless you notice some fps issues in a game then go and change it to performance mode if its the same then switch back to balanced mode but if you notice fps improvements then keep it on performance until you exit the game. (Btw this happens only to AMD CPU's on intel you can rock'n roll on balanced mode all the time no issues)

22 minutes ago, plushkinn said:

Guys, what if I want to overclock the ryzen 5 1600 or ryzen 5 1600x (cause i want to buy one of them), so will the CPU cores frequency stuck, for example, in 3.8GHz forever.

I mean if I overclocked it to 3.8GHz, it will be in 3.8GHz everytime. Or will it be just boosting to 3.8GHz when it's needed! For example, if it's in idle i'll be 2GHz or smth, then it's in load it'll be 3.8GHz.

Thanks for answers!

It'll be stuck at 3.8GHz. Voltage though will fluctuate though if you use auto or offset voltage. Also get the 1600, not the 1600x, there is much more value in the 1600.

2 minutes ago, bakidota said:

Always use balanced mode unless you notice some fps issues in a game then go and change it to performance mode if its the same then switch back to balanced mode but if you notice fps improvements then keep it on performance until you exit the game. (Btw this happens only to AMD CPU's on intel you can rock'n roll on balanced mode all the time no issues)

The ryzen performance mode is much better, and gave me better performance.

I always use balanced mode. What's the point of using high performance mode if the CPU will up frequency under load automatically?

3 minutes ago, c00lFD said:

The ryzen performance mode is much better, and gave me better performance.