SSD on X58

Flying freak

Hello

Planning  a major upgrade / rebuild to the rig. A couple years ago i put an ocz agility 3 ssd in and to be perfectly honest didn't notice much of a difference.

been doing lots of reading and seems to be a controller issue I'm really not sure what the solution is? benchmark seem to only indicate about 200mb/s transfers less then half of the rated speeds. If its the Marvell® 88SE9128 controller that's causing the massive bottle neck i dont suppose adding another drive and going raid 0 is a solution is it?

I guess what im asking is if i wanted something decent on the x58 platform what are my options? IS what iv got about as good as il get?

id like 240-256gb of storage,

Please advise

Steven

X58 doesn't have Sata 3 so there isn't much you could do, raid 0 isn't the answer either.

My X58 board has a Marvell® 88SE9128.Controller that is 6gb/s (sata 3)

http://ca.msi.com/product/mb/Big-Bang-XPower.html#/?div=Detail

Changing the mobo is not an option. I just ran AS SSD benchmark here are some numbers

read             write

Seq 1381 MB/s    89.35MB/s

4k     66MB/s        35.7MB/s

Suggestions?

My X58 board has a Marvell® 88SE9128.Controller that is 6gb/s (sata 3)

http://ca.msi.com/product/mb/Big-Bang-XPower.html#/?div=Detail

Changing the mobo is not an option. I just ran AS SSD benchmark here are some numbers

read             write

Seq 1381 MB/s    89.35MB/s

4k     66MB/s        35.7MB/s

Suggestions?

That's quite strange that performance is that low.

If you really want the maximum performance out of an X58 platform, you probably

need to buy a separate PCI-E controller card and take advantage of the PCI-E

bandwidth.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I have an x58 too and my SSD is underperforming. Don't know what the hell is going on !

Oh well im getting an i7 4930k soon so its okay :P

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

If you really want the maximum performance out of an X58 platform, you probably

need to buy a separate PCI-E controller card and take advantage of the PCI-E

bandwidth.

Would somthing like this : http://ncix.com/products/?sku=79467&vpn=SI-PEX40057&manufacture=Syba&promoid=1513

Do it? How does one know if pci-e cards are bootable?

Would somthing like this : http://ncix.com/products/?sku=79467&vpn=SI-PEX40057&manufacture=Syba&promoid=1513

Do it? How does one know if pci-e cards are bootable?

Not sure, I'm not really up to speed on that market. As far as I know, most

controller cards are bootable (haven't actually seen one that's not, though

that guarantees nothing of course).

As for performance, I recommend you look at what controller the card is using,

then google around to find more infos and possibly reviews, if there are any.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Iv been doing some research on my Marvel speed controller.

Updated mobo bios
Updated drive firmware

Currently sitting at 205 mb/s read and 75 write .

I beleive that controller is connected like a 1x pcie giving it about 500mb/s bandwidth

there are 2 ports. so if each is slit that would be ~250 mb/s / port if this is true then adding another drive would bring me up to ~400 mb/s??

Im confused about this thing. if thats how the numbers work out what the point of 6gb/s sata3 ports ? all a marketing gimmick ?

I beleive that controller is connected like a 1x pcie giving it about 500mb/s bandwidth

there are 2 ports. so if each is slit that would be ~250 mb/s / port if this is true then adding another drive would bring me up to ~400 mb/s??

You mean RAID-0ing two drives on the Marvell controller? Even if you get better

performance, that's still a lot of lost bandwidth compared to what your SATA3

drives are (presumably) capable of.

Im confused about this thing. if thats how the numbers work out what the point of 6gb/s sata3 ports ? all a marketing gimmick ?

TBH, yes, on the X58 platform (or the 5500 and 5520 chipsets for dual-PCU setups),

SATA3 does not perform to its full specs (at least according to everything I've

heard and read), it's a common issue with the platform AFAIK.

The advantage a dedicated RAID card has is that (aside from probably having a

better SATA controller), it can utilize more than one PCI-E lane.

Alright then.

Im going to look into pcie ssd's (revo drives) prices seem decent and at least i wont have the stupid marvel limit.