CPU cooler installation help

GrayTech

In order to install a CPU cooler on my ASUS Prime X370-Pro, I have to remove the glued on stock backplate. It was recommended ot me to use a hair drier but how long do I have to heat up the backplate and how far away should the hair dryer be?

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

38 minutes ago, GrayTech said:

In order to install a CPU cooler on my ASUS Prime X370-Pro, I have to remove the glued on stock backplate. It was recommended ot me to use a hair drier but how long do I have to heat up the backplate and how far away should the hair dryer be?

I highly doubt that it's glued on there. What CPU cooler do you want to install?

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

there is 4 screws on the cpu mounts remove them and the back plate should just come away, did on my board any way (asrock killer x370)

1 hour ago, Cyberspirit said:

I highly doubt that it's glued on there. What CPU cooler do you want to install?

54 minutes ago, ant666_2 said:

there is 4 screws on the cpu mounts remove them and the back plate should just come away, did on my board any way (asrock killer x370)

We don't have to discuss about the fact that the backplate is guled on. This is a thing only ASUS did on their AM4 boards as far as I know. I removed the stock cooler I was using and then the backplate doesn't get off. There is a thick layer of white glue around the whole backplate which prevents it from being removed. Just google it if you don't belivev me.

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

7 minutes ago, GrayTech said:

We don't have to discuss about the fact that the backplate is guled on. This is a thing only ASUS did on their AM4 boards as far as I know. I removed the stock cooler I was using and then the backplate doesn't get off. There is a thick layer of white glue around the whole backplate which prevents it from being removed. Just google it if you don't belivev me.

Maybe it isn't supposed to be removed? I don't know much about AMD board so, I'm sorry.

Just now, Cyberspirit said:

Maybe it isn't supposed to be removed? I don't know much about AMD board so, I'm sorry.

The stock AMD cooler needs a backplate and therefore every AM4 board comes with one attached with screws. But ASUS decided that these screws aren't enough and therfore they added glue underneath the backplate unlike every other brand as far as I know. My brother has a gigabyte board and he can just remove the screws, the backplate comes right off and he can install the new cooler but I can't.

Main PC:

Dorm PC:

NAS:

Laptop:

2 minutes ago, GrayTech said:

The stock AMD cooler needs a backplate and therefore every AM4 board comes with one attached with screws. But ASUS decided that these screws aren't enough and therfore they added glue underneath the backplate unlike every other brand as far as I know. My brother has a gigabyte board and he can just remove the screws, the backplate comes right off and he can install the new cooler but I can't.

Well, in that case, a hair dryer should do the thing if you can't remove it by force.

Heat shouldn't be too big of an issue but, I wouldn't hold it too close to it.