Help With Dual Display

lewdicrous
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,
1 minute ago, lewdicrous said:

GPU: GTX 1070

CPU: i7-6700

Motherboard: Gigabyte H170

Go into the BIOS and check for an option to enable the iGPU, sometimes it's disabled when there's a dGPU in the system. 

If not, a simple DVI to HDMI or DP to HDMI adaptor will work from the GPU

I just bought 2 monitors for dual display and connected both of them using HDMI wires. However, only on of them works, the one connected to the graphics card, the one connected to the motherboard doesn't register.

Is there a way to fix this or did I just waste my money on something that wasn't going to work

http://www.samsung.com/ca/monitors/led-sf350/LS27F350FHNXZA/

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

System specs?

7 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

I just bought 2 monitors for dual display and connected both of them using HDMI wires. However, only on of them works, the one connected to the graphics card, the one connected to the motherboard doesn't register.

Is there a way to fix this or did I just waste my money on something that wasn't going to work

http://www.samsung.com/ca/monitors/led-sf350/LS27F350FHNXZA/

You need to connect both to the Graphics card. You can get a dvi to hdmi or display port to hdmi cable cheap on ebay or amazon. since you are not using integrated graphics you can not hook up any monitors to your motherboard.  

Go into the BIOS and check for an option to enable the iGPU, sometimes it's disabled when there's a dGPU in the system. 

If not, a simple DVI to HDMI or DP to HDMI adaptor will work from the GPU

Just now, doomsriker said:

You need to connect both to the Graphics card. You can get a dvi to hdmi or display port to hdmi cable cheap on ebay or amazon. since you are not using integrated graphics you can not hook up any monitors to your motherboard.  

You can use both at the same time just fine in most systems. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

You can use both at the same time just fine in most systems. 

I have only heard of it working a hand full of times, and have never seen it in person. Since the graphics card is a display adapter, it should be the only thing outputting any signal. 

2 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

I have only heard of it working a hand full of times, and have never seen it in person. Since the graphics card is a display adapter, it should be the only thing outputting any signal. 

I have a temporary monitor running off my iGPU and 4 off my dGPU right now. I set up a friend's system in a similar way as well, from my experience it's always worked fine. Just some systems seem to disable the iGPU if you have a dGPU installed so you sometimes need to go and enable it. 

8 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I'll try this

10 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

I'll see what I can do

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I have a temporary monitor running off my iGPU and 4 off my dGPU right now. I set up a friend's system in a similar way as well, from my experience it's always worked fine. Just some systems seem to disable the iGPU if you have a dGPU installed so you sometimes need to go and enable it. 

That is what I was referring to. I realize you CAN enable IGPU and run connections off the motherboard but you would theoretically not be able to use your graphics card with that monitor (or if you could I would expect a performance hit). Therefore you would not be able to play a game using your graphics card on that monitor.  It seems to me a waste of time when you can get a passive adapter for less than 10$ and just use display port or DVI. 

1 minute ago, doomsriker said:

That is what I was referring to. I realize you CAN enable IGPU and run connections off the motherboard but you would theoretically not be able to use your graphics card with that monitor (or if you could I would expect a performance hit). Therefore you would not be able to play a game using your graphics card on that monitor.  It seems to me a waste of time when you can get a passive adapter for less than 10$ and just use display port or DVI. 

Ah, yeah, if you want to play games on that monitor, you'll want it running off the GPU to use the GPU's performance. 

But if you're not running a game, it doesn't matter. If you've already got the cable, no point in spending an extra $10 when you can do it by just using the iGPU. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Ah, yeah, if you want to play games on that monitor, you'll want it running off the GPU to use the GPU's performance. 

But if you're not running a game, it doesn't matter. If you've already got the cable, no point in spending an extra $10 when you can do it by just using the iGPU. 

I am super "OCD" (not literally) so just knowing that I cannot play a game on any given monitor would bug me personally. That is why I have all 4 of my monitors running off my gpu via the necessary passive cables even though my motherboard has HDMI.

Just now, doomsriker said:

I am super "OCD" (not literally) so just knowing that I cannot play a game on any given monitor would bug me personally. That is why I have all 4 of my monitors running off my gpu via the necessary passive cables even though my motherboard has HDMI.

I'll do the same generally, but I only ever use one for games anyway and it has to be run on DP. I'm lucky enough to not need any adaptors though, 2 off DVI, 1 on HDMI and 1 on DP. I'm planning on adding a new monitor next month, so I'll likely use DP from my motherboard for that. 

7 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I assume it worked then. Good to hear. 

It did!!

The one connected to the motherboard looks kinda yellow tho, did that happen to you?

It did!!

The one connected to the motherboard looks kinda yellow tho, did that happen to you?

No. You probably just need to adjust the monitor's colour settings to make it look how you want. If it's appearing a bit yellow, it may be on a "warm" preset, so check to see if it's set to that. 

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

No. You probably just need to adjust the monitor's colour settings to make it look how you want. If it's appearing a bit yellow, it may be on a "warm" preset, so check to see if it's set to that. 

Ehh, I'l keep it this way until get a chance of buying a Diplayport wire, thanks anyways