Windows 7 Factory Reset (Need Help)

Go to solution Solved by Kyle_N,

Since it shipped with Windows 8/8.1, you can upgrade to Windows 10 at any time (there is currently no time limit for OEM boards) and it will automatically activate with a digital license. You will need to use the Media Creation Tool to either create a bootable USB, and do a clean install, or, upgrade directly with the tool. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

All Windows 8/8.1/10 OEM systems have a product key embedded on the motherboard. These keys will always work for the OS they were designed for (what it shipped with), and any future OS (a Win8 key also activates 8.1 and 10).

Some systems that shipped with 7 (or a downgrade to 7 included in-box) will use the same embedded Windows 8 key to activate. There is no separate key for Win7. It doesn't sound like this is what yours is though; this is only for the OEM offering the downgrade. 

In summary, you can install Windows 8, 8.1, or 10, guaranteed. You will NOT be asked for a key when installing any of these three, it will activate automatically. Downloads are available for 8.1 and 10 from the link I mentioned above. 

If the OEM shipped it with a Win7 downgrade, you can also use Windows 7, without a key. If you downgraded through any other method, and want to reinstall 7, you WILL need a key, and a copy of Win7 (as they are not always publically available). This is the Win7 key you extracted. 

So i bought my Acer Aspire V3-772G with Windows 8 Pre-installed but i had a person downgrade it for me to windows 7, and i want to do a factory reset now, will it reset to Windows 8 or what? And also will i need a license key? If so i don't have one..

If the machine was shipped with 8 and you don't know how that other person downgraded it, it's more than likely a pirated W7 anyway. You can extract the license using software like Nirsoft Keyfinder.

If you intend to install Windows 10 at some point, you can still upgrade for free until december 31st. If you desperately want 7, you'll need the license, an installation medium and drivers.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I don't understand a lot about computers but is it possible for me to install linux or will that be too complicated for me?

If a Windows reinstall is too complicated, Linux is pretty much rocket science ;)

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Oh well, i guess i won't be needing that :D, also can i still use that license key if i extract it?

As long as it's genuine and not a pirated key, yes.

1 hour ago, ZyReXxLT said:

How do i know if this isn't pirated?  

Screenshot_72.png

How much did you pay for it? And what version was original Windows? Only professional and ultimate Windows come with downgrade option.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Oh well sorry, i don't remember the price or anything because it was a a few years ago. All i know when i bought it it had Windows 8 i used it for a little time and i had a person downgrade them for me because i didn't like them.
Heres my laptops full name if that helps: Acer Aspire V3-772G-747A8G1TMakk

Also i just turned on the updates because i had them turned off for nearly 4 years and i got bombarded with over 200 updates, should i install them all or no? If i install all of them it will update to Windows 10 right? :D

Since it shipped with Windows 8/8.1, you can upgrade to Windows 10 at any time (there is currently no time limit for OEM boards) and it will automatically activate with a digital license. You will need to use the Media Creation Tool to either create a bootable USB, and do a clean install, or, upgrade directly with the tool. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

All Windows 8/8.1/10 OEM systems have a product key embedded on the motherboard. These keys will always work for the OS they were designed for (what it shipped with), and any future OS (a Win8 key also activates 8.1 and 10).

Some systems that shipped with 7 (or a downgrade to 7 included in-box) will use the same embedded Windows 8 key to activate. There is no separate key for Win7. It doesn't sound like this is what yours is though; this is only for the OEM offering the downgrade. 

In summary, you can install Windows 8, 8.1, or 10, guaranteed. You will NOT be asked for a key when installing any of these three, it will activate automatically. Downloads are available for 8.1 and 10 from the link I mentioned above. 

If the OEM shipped it with a Win7 downgrade, you can also use Windows 7, without a key. If you downgraded through any other method, and want to reinstall 7, you WILL need a key, and a copy of Win7 (as they are not always publically available). This is the Win7 key you extracted. 

Thank you a lot guys for all the info, i appreciate it.
I might upgrade to Windows 10 but i haven't decided yet.
But thanks a lot anyways!:)