Windows Migration to new drive

Go to solution Solved by King_of_Oz,

I had to do this once. Cloning is not a good idea, as it can mess up your windows install. Really, the best way to do it, even thought it’s long and annoying, is to un-install-re-install, and move all of your non-software (photos, videos, word documents, etc..) to an external HHD and then slap them on the new one.

Hello LTT Community,

I have a windows system running and I want to upgrade the HDD,

i want to just transfer the entire HDD with Windows to the new hdd

Is there any software to install on a usb stick , boot from it and transfer the old HDD files to the new one?

Thanks,

~Sven

That’s referred to as cloning. I’d advise against it. It’s better to just do a clean install. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I had to do this once. Cloning is not a good idea, as it can mess up your windows install. Really, the best way to do it, even thought it’s long and annoying, is to un-install-re-install, and move all of your non-software (photos, videos, word documents, etc..) to an external HHD and then slap them on the new one.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

I have been cloning my hard drives for many o years and have never had an issue, normally I install windows, configure it to my liking and clone it... that way it’s ready when I need it.

For the drive it’s replacing, it will get cloned to the clone. Granted the software installed on my original is pretty minimal but your making an exact copy of the drive, if you know what your doing and are using reputable software there shouldn’t be an issue.

I have a cue light I can use to show you when I’m joking, if you like.