Raid question

NeutronGTX

Hi, so I have decided to finally get an SSD, I already have 2 HDDs which I would like to setup in Raid 0 when I get the SSD (yes I know there is no redundancy in raid 0 and I'm OK with that), I would like to know the best way to go about this, I've never setup Raid before so I'm a total n00b :P

CPU: i5 2500K @ 4.2GHZ, GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2X4GB) 1600MHZ, Mobo: Asus P8Z77M, Chassis: Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass editionStorage: Seagate 1TB + Samsung 2TB In RAID 0 + Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Sound Card: Asus Xonar DS, Mouse: Steelseries Sensei, Keyboard: CM Storm Quick Fire Pro, Monitor: BenQ G2410HD + Samsung SA1900

Hi, so I have decided to finally get an SSD, I already have 2 HDDs which I would like to setup in Raid 0 when I get the SSD (yes I know there is no redundancy in raid 0 and I'm OK with that), I would like to know the best way to go about this, I've never setup Raid before so I'm a total n00b :P

I would just use Windows Disk Management.

Usually Software RAID sucks. And Windows Software RAID tends to be the worst of it. However, it's simple RAID 0. Even Windows can do that. 

Click Start. Type "Disk". Click "Create and format hard disk partitions." Right click the HDD you want to stripe (RAID 0). Click "New Striped Volume." Then you'd click the other drive to stripe it with (the other HDD). Mount/give it (the RAID 0 array) a drive letter. Bam. Done. 

I'm assuming your OS is gonna be on the SSD. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Did you check if your motherboard is compatible with fake-raid? is way better than windows raid. 

Linus has great videos about RAID and how to configure, check out it! ;)

If you want to use the RAID controller built on to the motherboard as opposed to a software RAID solution, you will have to make a backup of your data as the RAID creation process formats the drives.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

I would suggest using a hardware RAID controller, built into your motherboard.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Ok, thanks for the replies, I don't care about having to format my drives so do you suggest I use software Raid or my motherboard's Raid

CPU: i5 2500K @ 4.2GHZ, GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2X4GB) 1600MHZ, Mobo: Asus P8Z77M, Chassis: Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass editionStorage: Seagate 1TB + Samsung 2TB In RAID 0 + Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Sound Card: Asus Xonar DS, Mouse: Steelseries Sensei, Keyboard: CM Storm Quick Fire Pro, Monitor: BenQ G2410HD + Samsung SA1900

Ok, thanks for the replies, I don't care about having to format my drives so do you suggest I use software Raid or my motherboard's Raid

Mobo as in hardware RAID assuming it supports it and plugin your drives to the fastest SATA ports.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.