NVME m.2 vs "normal" m.2?

iiNNeX

Looking at getting some m.2 storage for my new build to minimise the amount of cables and clutter in my system and get a faster pc in general, the price difference between some of the m.2 sticks seems to be insane! Check this out:

Cheapest Samsung NVME 1TB m.2 SSD: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/samsung-960-evo-polaris-1tb-m.2-2280-pci-e-3.0-x4-nvme-solid-state-drive-hd-22i-sa.html - £400

Cheapest WD Blue Non-NVME 1TB m.2 SSD: https://www.pcworldbusiness.co.uk/catalogue/item/P250339P?awc=2371_1513155131_9ca24eaa6db1595aed1815c257cc64ed&utm_source=PCPartPicker&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Affiliate - £263

That's quite a price difference, so the question is how much does NVME matter in gaming/general pc usage ? 

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

Never mind, I think I figured it out. The Samsung one uses PCIE and the WD is basically using Sata III but in m.2 form.

Eh... 960 evo it is then. #ripcash

16 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

Never mind, I think I figured it out. The Samsung one uses PCIE and the WD is basically using Sata III but in m.2 form.

Eh... 960 evo it is then. #ripcash

NO.

Unless u are doing something that requires NVME speed like transfering BIG SIZED data such as videos for content creation u dont need NVME and there's not much of a differences in Boot times or loading times both programs or games between SATA SSD and NVME.

Save your cash and buy regular SATA SSD or M.2 SATA.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

The NVMe SSD uses the PCIE interface in an M.2 form factor and the non-NVMe SSD uses the sata interface. When it comes to an everyday usage stand point, comparing these two SSDs in terms of speeds are completely different from each other, one is faster then the other and this can be affected in terms of the boot times/loading times, it will only be a minor improvement in this segment but shouldnt be noticable from an everyday usage stand point. NVMe SSDs are good for transferring a large files (like transferring a 50GB video for example), this is because it has faster sequential read and write speeds over using the sata interface of which can be utilzed in this workload very well. Normal sata SSDs have slower sequential read and write speeds of which make the process of transferring large files slower. Again, if its general usage (boot times/loading games/general work/productivity), a sata based SSD will be fine for this workload, if your transferring large files, then NVMe is a good choice for this workload.

7 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

NO.

Unless u are doing something that requires NVME speed like transfering BIG SIZED data such as videos for content creation u dont need NVME and there's not much of a differences in Boot times or loading times both programs or games between SATA SSD and NVME.

Save your cash and buy regular SATA SSD or M.2 SATA.

5 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

The NVMe SSD uses the PCIE interface in an M.2 form factor and the non-NVMe SSD uses the sata interface. When it comes to an everyday usage stand point, comparing these two SSDs in terms of speeds are completely different from each other, one is faster then the other and this can be affected in terms of the boot times/loading times, it will only be a minor improvement in this segment but shouldnt be noticable from an everyday usage stand point. NVMe SSDs are good for transferring a large files (like transferring a 50GB video for example), this is because it has faster sequential read and write speeds over using the sata interface of which can be utilzed in this workload very well. Normal sata SSDs have slower sequential read and write speeds of which make the process of transferring large files slower. Again, if its general usage (boot times/loading games/general work/productivity), a sata based SSD will be fine for this workload, if your transferring large files, then NVMe is a good choice for this workload.

Thank you very much for your input, it makes sense now. Benchmark wise the Samsung is around 6x faster than the WD, but then again benchmarks do not translate to real world performance nor do they in any way shape or form feature boot times/game loading times, which as you say will probably be a minimal increase. 

1 minute ago, iiNNeX said:

Thank you very much for your input, it makes sense now. Benchmark wise the Samsung is around 6x faster than the WD, but then again benchmarks do not translate to real world performance nor do they in any way shape or form feature boot times/game loading times, which as you say will probably be a minimal increase. 

Here is a break down:

NVMe= faster sequential read and write speeds/good for transferring large files

Sata= slower sequential read and write speeds/good for general usage

The WD M.2 SSD will be way cheaper, good for your use case and will be good in years to come!