Laptop for Filmmaking Student

Hello!

Basically I'm in the market for something to replace both my desktop and laptop. I've just finished my first semester at university as a filmmaking student and need to upgrade my editing solution. Why replace both my desktop and laptop? My desktop simply cannot handle the Panasonic GH4 4k footage that we edit (even transcoded), thanks to the weak Xeon 1603-v3 being pinned at 100% at the thought of opening Premier, and furthermore it takes up far too much space in my cramped dorm room, and my Macbook Pro 15 inch can't handle it either, but on top of that, needs a battery replacement, and is becoming sluggish just nipping around MacOS (even after a fresh install).

So basically I'm looking to replace both with one laptop for ultimate portability (essentially allowing me to work anywhere as I move from my dorm, to home, to my girlfriends' pretty frequently and have to stay away for shoots). I don't really think an ultrabook would be up to the job, at least from a longevity perspective, and I may struggle connecting all my peripherals when it is docked in my dorm (keyboard, mouse, external hard drive enclosures, etc). Gaming is not a priority, I only play light games for the most part now due to time constraints, but when I graduate I could always build a gaming desktop if I wanna get back into it.

Requirements:

-Powerful enough for transcoded 4k editing in Premier Pro CC.

-Decent IO for connecting to peripherals.

-Good enough battery life to last through lectures (roughly 2-3 hours max) for taking notes.

-Not over £1000 ($1300) preferably.

I am open to buying used/second hand if it means better bang for my buck.

Thanks in advance!

I would consider a razer blade, you can buy old gen used or if you want to have a newer toy get the new gen. Can't think of anything else portable( read: not 18 lbs) that has enough power for 4k

1 minute ago, JustTheDoge said:

image.png.6660ce9b86fa366e376bd3c3d903c752.pngI don't think it's gonna work for his budget tho

tbh last gen blades are going £800-900 on eBay right now which is in budget.

yeah blade is better bang for buck

Don't get me wrong im not an apple hater but if your pockets aren't full of cash you should get a windows powered machine

Honestly a Macbook would be more of a pain than a help. Dongles for everything, restricted video editing performance outside of Final Cut (which I'm really not prepared to switch to), and the extremely steep pricing.

3 hours ago, AlWinwood said:

Hello!

Basically I'm in the market for something to replace both my desktop and laptop. I've just finished my first semester at university as a filmmaking student and need to upgrade my editing solution. Why replace both my desktop and laptop? My desktop simply cannot handle the Panasonic GH4 4k footage that we edit (even transcoded), thanks to the weak Xeon 1603-v3 being pinned at 100% at the thought of opening Premier, and furthermore it takes up far too much space in my cramped dorm room, and my Macbook Pro 15 inch can't handle it either, but on top of that, needs a battery replacement, and is becoming sluggish just nipping around MacOS (even after a fresh install).

So basically I'm looking to replace both with one laptop for ultimate portability (essentially allowing me to work anywhere as I move from my dorm, to home, to my girlfriends' pretty frequently and have to stay away for shoots). I don't really think an ultrabook would be up to the job, at least from a longevity perspective, and I may struggle connecting all my peripherals when it is docked in my dorm (keyboard, mouse, external hard drive enclosures, etc). Gaming is not a priority, I only play light games for the most part now due to time constraints, but when I graduate I could always build a gaming desktop if I wanna get back into it.

Requirements:

-Powerful enough for transcoded 4k editing in Premier Pro CC.

-Decent IO for connecting to peripherals.

-Good enough battery life to last through lectures (roughly 2-3 hours max) for taking notes.

-Not over £1000 ($1300) preferably.

I am open to buying used/second hand if it means better bang for my buck.

Thanks in advance!

clevo w650kj1

https://www.ceg-hardcorecustom.com/product/clevo-w650kj1-lga1151-ddr4-nvidia-gtx-1050

Spoiler

3 hours ago, PixelFray said:

Seriously though, I've heard good things about the Razer Blade.

where? not in this forum :D

Spoiler

10 hours ago, PixelFray said:

I've heard good things about the Razer Blade.

9 hours ago, JustTheDoge said:

yeah blade is better bang for buck

Poor internal quality, poor QC, poor support and overpriced. Seriously.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

12 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Poor internal quality, poor QC, poor support and overpriced. Seriously.

what would you suggest then?

w650kj1/w650kk1

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

if you can use fcpx get a mbp otherwise i think you should get a razer blade or xps