Nvidia GTX 1080 vs freesync

Antonio89

Hi. 

I just got a new monitor ASUS NX32VQ  144 Hz with free sync which is awesome. Although I also have a GTX 1080 in my rig. That means that I won't be able to use the free sync or other applications that my monitor has because I don't have an AMD card. My question is: Is that gonna be a problem or would you recommend switching (and downgrading) my Nvidia card with the AMD 64? 

Just now, Antonio89 said:

Hi. 

I just got a new monitor ASUS NX32VQ  144 Hz with free sync which is awesome. Although I also have a GTX 1080 in my rig. That means that I won't be able to use the free sync or other applications that my monitor has because I don't have an AMD card. My question is: Is that gonna be a problem or would you recommend switching (and downgrading) my Nvidia card out with the AMD 64? 

Out of interest, what made you think it would limit what applications you can use? Literally the only thing you won't get when running that monitor with a 1080 is adaptive sync.

I run my 4k freesync monitor with a 1080Ti and other than not having adaptive sync, it works perfectly.

You'd have to decide for yourself if lower overall fps with an adaptive refresh is worth it versus higher fps at a locked framerate. With a 1080 it's an easier choice, since the Vega 64 is similar in performance to a 1080.

If you can sell your 1080 and buy a Vega 64 without losing too much money, I'd definitely recommend going for adaptive sync. It's literally the future of modern pc gaming, and makes so much difference.

No, you don't need to switch anything. Just make sure that you run your games at a steady framerate and mess around with your monitor settings and see if you can switch refresh rate to something lower. 

8 minutes ago, Antonio89 said:

Hi. 

I just got a new monitor ASUS NX32VQ  144 Hz with free sync which is awesome. Although I also have a GTX 1080 in my rig. That means that I won't be able to use the free sync or other applications that my monitor has because I don't have an AMD card. My question is: Is that gonna be a problem or would you recommend switching (and downgrading) my Nvidia card with the AMD 64? 

Free sync is a AMD exclusive feature, G-Sync works with Nvidia cards.

Unless you're screen tearing to unplayable levels I don't see the point. I've only ever received screen tearing in GPU Overclocking tests and like once in Wildlands. And it was only 1 screen tearing that lasted like .1 seconds. I've never ever seen screen tearing ever again.

25 minutes ago, Tabs said:

I run my 4k freesync monitor with a 1080Ti and other than not having adaptive sync, it works perfectly.

Same i also dont have problems with it

Tag me if you need me :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Desktop:                                       Laptop:        
CPU - i7-4790k                            CPU: I7 7700HQ
GPU - Inno3D 1080TI                  GPU: 1060
Mobo - Gigabyte Z97X-SLI          Memory: 16 GB
Memory - 32 GB DDR3                Storage: 1256GB
Storage - 11 TB

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone: ONEPLUS 6 128GB

Question yourself: Do  YOU see tearing / stuttering, and does it bother you?

If it bothers you, you should switch... The Vega will be a downgrade overall, however, by having Freesync active, your "felt smoothness" will be MUCH higher --> games will look much more smooth. Which can be a huge bonus.

If you don't know what tearing is or stuttering, and never saw anything of that.. you probably might not notice it :P

Since Freesync / G-Sync are technologies to mainly get rid of Tearing (V-Sync OFF), and Stuttering (V-Sync ON, but less fps than Hz)

How about a 3rd option: if your Monitor has 1080p, it's easy to maintain high fps. Reduce settings, so your games run at 100-120+ fps, or even a clean 144 fps Lock (with V-Sync), so you have it smooth.

In a few years, when your 1080 is not fast enough anymore, upgrade to a future AMD card.