Cheap Blu-Ray Drive

alexjhastie

Not sure if I am in the right section of the forum but here I go anyway.

I am looking into ripping all of my blu-rays to MKV and having them on a hard drive (seems better to have anything I may want to watch with me at all times).
I have found drives like the one linked below relatively cheap from China and was wondering if it would work OK. I live in Australia which region B, but I'm not sure that should make a difference. Not too worried about speeds, just looking for a drive that will be able to rip my relatively small collection. Thanks

Links:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/253287509267

That drive should work fine if all you want to do is rip your Blu-Ray disks to .mkv.

Though, I would consider one that will allow you to burn your .mkv files back to Blu-Ray disks for archival purposes.

I've always bought LG branded DVD & Blu-Ray burners and have had good luck with them.

Also, is there a reason why you are looking at an external drive, and not internal?

4 hours ago, Sushihunter said:

That drive should work fine if all you want to do is rip your Blu-Ray disks to .mkv.

Though, I would consider one that will allow you to burn your .mkv files back to Blu-Ray disks for archival purposes.

I've always bought LG branded DVD & Blu-Ray burners and have had good luck with them.

Also, is there a reason why you are looking at an external drive, and not internal?

Tanks I’ll keep all that in mind. The reason I’m going for an external drive is with the travelling I do for work I have a cheap Lenovo laptop that I use just to watch movies and the internal storage is 64gb flash soldered to the motherboard

Yes, I kind of guessed that you might have a laptop.

Also, I forgot to mention - this drive is USB 2.0

You might want to look at getting one that is USB 3.0 or 3.1

Good luck!

Just an FYI but you can buy a standard 5.25” internal SATA bluray drive and simply chuck it into a 5.25” USB 2.0 or 3.0 enclosure. 

I havent conpared prices but that could be cheaper. Worth looking into. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)