display driver amdkmdap has stopped responding. HELP!!

AustinLee5472

Hey guys! So recently I switched graphics card from a 1060 to a Radeon RX 480. The reason in doing so is because my old graphics card was crashing and I was troubleshooting with a card my buddy had laying around (the 480). The 1060 came from a prebuilt pc and once the pc started messing up I decided to scrap that build after I opened the case and realized the components were all fairly low grade, save the GPU, SSD, and CPU, which are the only parts that were carried over from the prebuilt. I uninstalled all NVIDIA drivers and software with DDU in safe mode and installed all AMD drivers in safe mode as well. I downloaded the latest drivers straight form AMD's website as to avoid getting corrupt versions from sketchy sites. Games will crash anywhere from 20 minutes in to 45 seconds of gameplay. I bring up eventviewer and the fault that is displayed is "display driver amdkmdap has stopped responding and successfully recovered." Normal PC operation is fine. It doesn't crash on anything except games. TDR is set to 10 and card is not overclocked above factory settings. All specs for my pc are on my profile and any help is greatly appreciated!

seems to be a common issue with RX4xx cards.

the below are from AMDs support page regarding it

• Microsoft DirectX® files may be outdated or corrupt
  • The motherboard’s BIOS / chipset drivers may be outdated
  • The operating system may require a service pack update
  • The operating system may have corrupt system / registry files
  • Perform a clean install of the operating system
  • The graphics card drivers may have known issues or corrupt files
  • An inadequate or defective power supply (PSU) can prevent the processor / graphics card from functioning properly
  • Failing Hardware (processor, graphics card, motherboard and / or memory) can cause system instability

what PSU do you have

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Thank you for your reply. I have an EVGA 750w Gold+. And all drivers are updated, the memory is brand new, the psu is brand new, and I can't perform the clean install. This installation of windows was used on my prebuilt and worked just fine, however I cannot perform a clean install as I do not have the disk to download a fresh install and I do not have the license number

14 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

seems to be a common issue with RX4xx cards.

the below are from AMDs support page regarding it

what PSU do you have

Thank you for your reply. I have an EVGA 750w Gold+. And all drivers are updated, the memory is brand new, the psu is brand new, and I can't perform the clean install. This installation of windows was used on my prebuilt and worked just fine, however I cannot perform a clean install as I do not have the disk to download a fresh install and I do not have the license number