Audio Solutions for Gaming

Go to solution Solved by ShearMe,

You'd definitely want amplification for that DT 990.

The big problem with soundcards is the output impedance causes boomy bass and high frequency roll off for low impedance headphones, which the DT 990 would be immune to. However, if you want to try other headphones in the future, most will be low impedance and thus suffer from impedance mismatching with a soundcard. All that doesn't even go into those possible driver issues you've mentioned.

The reason we recommend the FiiO E10 instead of cheap soundcards is because of that high output impedance of the soundcards. The reason we recommend an O2 instead of an expensive soundcard is because it's better than everything on the market under $1000. You can get an O2 amp without the ODAC cheaper than a "top tier" soundcard like the STX or Phoebus, and it'll be compatible with more headphones.

Hey guys and gals

I've been lurking on the forums for a while now and I'm still struggling to find a solid solution to my question:

What audio setup is best for gaming? Especially with regards to sound cards or separate amp/dac units. Specifically for positional audio through stereo headphones while keeping great sound detail. There are a lot of audiophile-oriented people that give great advice for their particular tastes but not a whole lot of gamers that can give me a straight answer (likely due to the subjective nature of audio). I'm aware there are plenty of "good enough" options but I'd really like a set up I can enjoy for a while before upgrading (perhaps an unrealistic request).

My particular case is as follows:

I recently ordered a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro-250 headphones for my PC setup. They're in a good price range for me and I've heard great things (sans the pronounced treble which I may or may not enjoy; TBD)

All I have ever run is onboard audio so I know I need an amp to drive these. I've been looking at the Fiio E10, but there is no positional audio for this setup as far as I know and, as I mentioned, I would really enjoy this feature. (Razer Surround?). 

My question is this: are sound cards and their associated drivers too much trouble? If so, what would you recommend for my particular needs? If not, then what sound card is going to give me great gaming performance without the nightmare driver scenarios I keep reading about.  Something I can put on my motherboard would be nice as I have a myriad of cables dangling from my PC already, but if sound cards are really that much of a waste, I will gladly seek alternatives. 

I've considered the Fiio E10, Creative Z series (questionable?) , ASUS Xonar Cards, ASUS Phoebus (but I've heard TERRIBLE things) and O2/ODAC is a little expensive for me right now or perhaps I'm looking at the wrong units?

Thanks for the help, cheers. 

DT 990 is good but you'll need an amp. Don't need a DAC, it won't be much of an improvement.

Fiio E10 or the objective2 will work.

AD700x is a good headphone, and you don't need an amp/DAC. Just look for an open headphone.

No sound cards, and surround software normally make a good headphone sound bad.

You'd definitely want amplification for that DT 990.

The big problem with soundcards is the output impedance causes boomy bass and high frequency roll off for low impedance headphones, which the DT 990 would be immune to. However, if you want to try other headphones in the future, most will be low impedance and thus suffer from impedance mismatching with a soundcard. All that doesn't even go into those possible driver issues you've mentioned.

The reason we recommend the FiiO E10 instead of cheap soundcards is because of that high output impedance of the soundcards. The reason we recommend an O2 instead of an expensive soundcard is because it's better than everything on the market under $1000. You can get an O2 amp without the ODAC cheaper than a "top tier" soundcard like the STX or Phoebus, and it'll be compatible with more headphones.

Surround software is evil, don't use it.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

I definitely sway more towards being a gamer than an audiophile, but I still understand the need for great audio quality for immersion.

The DT990 are great. Open headphones are the way to go for gaming, they give a much bigger soundstage and positional accuracy than closed. Just grab a Fiio E10 or O2 and be done with it.

Okay. Great comments guys really appreciate it.

So let's say I go with a Fiio E10 or an O2 (without the DAC) 

Some have said forgoing the DAC would not make a difference in the quality of the sound. I'm assuming this is related to the quality of the headphones (DT990) and the quality of the source files from games like Battlefield 4, Skyrim, etc. (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Isn't this essentially just using on board audio with my amplified headphones? Wouldn't the quality without a DAC be the same as on board audio? (not sure)

So great hypothetically I have a solid solution for my setup with the DT990s. Where does the positional audio come into play here? You guys have mentioned this decreases the quality of the sound as I'm sure it does, but positional audio is something that I would really enjoy as a feature even if I choose to go with a non-sound card option. I'm a gamer first after all. 

I have heard that the Creative sound cards have superior positional audio compared to other options like Dolby Headphone or Razzer Surround. I can't confirm this yet. I'm assuming it's subjective. 

Would an Fiio E10/O2 no DAC + Razzer Surround give me a different or even better experience than say a Creative Z series card that comes with it's own surround sound software?

I haven't heard a whole lot with regards to positional audio through stereo headphones. But again this is something I'd like to 1.) Learn more about 2.) Hopefully have for my own setup. 

Thanks again guys. Learning is hard. Buying things is fun.  

Most games have a built in headphone option in the audio menu. No surround software is needed.

For positioning you'll need an open headphone. Some closed headphones are okay with this but most under $200 are not.

I'm freaking psyched to hear that. 

Okay so if I go with the O2 sans the ODAC I should be good to go. 

I'm still confused as to why adding the DAC perhaps later down the line would not increase the quality of the audio?

I'm still confused as to why adding the DAC perhaps later down the line would not increase the quality of the audio?

Adding a DAC later could improve the audio, but since human hearing is bad you likely wont hear the difference.

Thanks everyone gonna go with either the Fiio E10 or the O2 and hopefully be able to hear people sneaking up behind me. 

Great comments. Cheers. 

Would the DAC be a good idea if he was playing games AND listening to HQ music files? Or are onboard DAC's like the ALC1150 good enough?

Would the DAC be a good idea if he was playing games AND listening to HQ music files? Or are onboard DAC's like the ALC1150 good enough?

Yes it's fine.

Good enough. Anything above an 80 SNR is inaudible.