HP Laptop Beep Codes - 2 beeps 5 times

staubgame
Go to solution Solved by staubgame,
25 minutes ago, MathiasVN said:

I would guess GPU

I did manage to find something in HP Support, the Capslock Key LED flashes twice (I wrote TAB in the beginning, my bad) and they say that's BIOS defective and provide a solution to "reset" the bios to the last known configuration. Of course that did not work.

But for any one interesstet: Link (german support however)

So, I'm having a HP 17-f256ng here that, when turned on, powers up, screen stays black, no backlight. After a few seconds a led on the TAB key starts flashing (on-off) and 

the following beep code is played:

2 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 2

That's 2 beeps, pause, 2 beeps... and so on. 5 times.

I can't find the meaning. Google provides me with several forum entrys and lists all of which (except on on toms hardware) refere to another problem or code entirely.

HP Support is totally useless.

Toms Hardware which had the exact same issue however was a desktop system with a faulty PSU.

Which is, apart from memory (beep code) the only lead I have. 

PSU in this case charges the battery fine and with or without battery makes no difference. So, if that is it, the motherboard power circuitry but I kinda doubt that.

For memory, this thing is a cat-ass-trophy to take appart. But if I remove the 1 DIMM module, it's 3 beeps and done. No memory.

I don't have a spare lying around for laptop so testing is not really an option and there are no shops around.

Any of you know this problem?

I take anything :D

4 minutes ago, MathiasVN said:

I  would take a look at this document from HP.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02222922

Already done :)

None of the codes mentioned matches mine. 

The only thing remotely close is  the memory parity error, that's why

18 minutes ago, staubgame said:

For memory, this thing is a cat-ass-trophy to take appart. But if I remove the 1 DIMM module, it's 3 beeps and done. No memory.

Other than memory it might be video adapter (would match the screen staying black) but if the GPU is dead, ... "it's dead, Jim." :P

But how to verify?

9 minutes ago, staubgame said:

But how to verify?

If you know where the GPU is located in your laptop you could hear if the fans are spinning.

If it has intergrated graphics i would try to contact HP and get them to fix it.

Q: How many prolog programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: Yes.

3 minutes ago, MathiasVN said:

If you know where the GPU is located in your laptop you could hear if the fans are spinning.

If it has intergrated graphics i would try to contact HP and get them to fix it.

Integrated in an AMD A8 something.

^4BF70966F7B70DBF53E79FEACFD11D2B9F670212E9E6A69785^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

The laptop is 3+ years old so fixing would not be worth it. I was already told if that is the problem then the guy owning the laptop wants a new one. ^^

10 minutes ago, staubgame said:

The laptop is 3+ years old so fixing would not be worth it. I was already told if that is the problem then the guy owning the laptop wants a new one. ^^

I would recommend a new one then.

Q: How many prolog programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: Yes.

6 minutes ago, MathiasVN said:

I would recommend a new one then.

That's my suggestion as well but I would at least want to know what is bad on the device.

25 minutes ago, MathiasVN said:

I would guess GPU

I did manage to find something in HP Support, the Capslock Key LED flashes twice (I wrote TAB in the beginning, my bad) and they say that's BIOS defective and provide a solution to "reset" the bios to the last known configuration. Of course that did not work.

But for any one interesstet: Link (german support however)

• 11 months later...

Hi. I've registered just to answer this thread, although I know it's possible that it's a bit late, It can be useful for someone
I have an HP identical to the thread's. Same problem of 2 beeps 5 times. The solution has been restoring UEFI BIOS with a pendrive.
There it goes:
1: Download the UEFI BIOS from the HP page. The file has the option to create a rescue flash drive in another computer. Create it, please
2: Disconnect the hard drive from the damaged equipment
3: Insert the flash drive into the first port at the left side
4: Press the WINDOWS + V keys and turn on the device keeping these keys pressed for two or three seconds. Cross the fingers and wait. If you are lucky the UEFI BIOS will restore from the pendrive

Buenas noches

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi infosanvi, thanks for posting those instructions. This also worked to revive a friends laptop.

• 3 months later...

infosanvi, I signed up just to say thanks. I have an HP Beats Audio edition that had the same problem and I was about to dump it. HP support are clueless. this method worked

• 7 months later...

Infosanvi, the step #1 mentioned... 1: Download the UEFI BIOS from the HP page. The file has the option to create a rescue flash drive in another computer. Create it, please... does not give the option for me to make a usb... after downloading it on a different computer and running it, it just runs for a sec... then disappears and no option. Is there another way to get this on USB? I have a HP Beats... 15-p030nr