1700x Won't Overclock

Hey Everyone,
So I built a 1700x rig last night and I've been trying to overclock for the past 5 hours. I'm able to post and work fine in windows without an overclock but no matter how small the overclock is, I can't post and my CPU and DRAM LED's are on. The system stays on but nothing happens. I've tried different bios, reseating cpu, ram, changing configurations. I don't know whats going on. Also, my cpu is sitting at 65 degrees which looks high to me. 

Build:
ryzen 1700x

MSI pro carbon gaming x370 board

16gb g skill tridentz rgb 3200

nzxt kraken x52

evga 1080ti sc2 hybrid

evga gq 650 gold

If you need any other info, please ask and I'll do my best to get you what you need.

I surely haven't had any ryzen systems in my hands for now, but I had a similar issue with an Abit Fatal1ty FP-in 9 SLI motherboard... it was a highend gamer/overclocker board but a *itch to work with.

When I got them (Wife and I both had them) we couldn't even overclock the slightest. I went through overclockers guides for our CPU/Mobo combos to no avail... 

Out of frustration I configured a balls to the wall overclock... going so high up, it was insane... the machine booted fine, windows bluescreened... but afterwards a normal overclock was possible without any problem... 

Like an old exhaust, the board seemed to be blown through big time. Afterwards the C2D 4300 ran at 3 ghz without any problems or stability issues.

Perhaps your motherboard is such a *itch as well... But like I said, can't say for sure.

To bring in some personal opinion build during many years, I wouldn't touch MSIs mobos... the ones I had to work with were all such things, I was happy to not own them...

In addition 65° in idle is way too high. 

When you go for the OC are you doing CPU and ram the same time or just CPU?

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

MSI's boards had loads of problems at launch. did you update bios to second latest? not the latest because that one included the support for the new APU's and will break shit on the board

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

3 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

MSI's boards had loads of problems at launch. did you update bios to second latest? not the latest because that one included the support for the new APU's and will break shit on the board

I tried multiple Bios versions and all of them gave me the same problems.

6 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

I surely haven't had any ryzen systems in my hands for now, but I had a similar issue with an Abit Fatal1ty FP-in 9 SLI motherboard... it was a highend gamer/overclocker board but a *itch to work with.

When I got them (Wife and I both had them) we couldn't even overclock the slightest. I went through overclockers guides for our CPU/Mobo combos to no avail... 

Out of frustration I configured a balls to the wall overclock... going so high up, it was insane... the machine booted fine, windows bluescreened... but afterwards a normal overclock was possible without any problem... 

Like an old exhaust, the board seemed to be blown through big time. Afterwards the C2D 4300 ran at 3 ghz without any problems or stability issues.

Perhaps your motherboard is such a *itch as well... But like I said, can't say for sure.

To bring in some personal opinion build during many years, I wouldn't touch MSIs mobos... the ones I had to work with were all such things, I was happy to not own them...

In addition 65° in idle is way too high. 

When you go for the OC are you doing CPU and ram the same time or just CPU?

I'm only doing cpu at the moment because I already know RAM will cause issues over clocking

5 minutes ago, SSingiser said:

I tried multiple Bios versions and all of them gave me the same problems.

I'm only doing cpu at the moment because I already know RAM will cause issues over clocking

ram will only cause issues if you have the wrong one. and it's pretty simple once you know if you do.

so in this case it's either a faulty board. which was much too common on MSI boards at launch like i said. i thought it was not the case on the current retail units anymore though.

I was personally very lucky on my 3 samples and didn't have problems but allot of people had serious problems.

otherwise what's the exact ram kit you have? it seems you got the 3200CAS16 which would be bad for you...... and just to be sure you have XMP off right now, right? since you said you didn't OC the ram

considering the readout on the board i'd try giving the NB_V a bit more. 1.2 or something like that and see if that maybe fixes your problem

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

2 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

ram will only cause issues if you have the wrong one. and it's pretty simple once you know if you do.

so in this case it's either a faulty board. which was much too common on MSI boards at launch like i said. i thought it was not the case on the current retail units anymore though.

I was personally very lucky on my 3 samples and didn't have problems but allot of people had serious problems.

otherwise what's the exact ram kit you have? it seems you got the 3200CAS16 which would be bad for you...... and just to be sure you have XMP off right now, right? since you said you didn't OC the ram

I tried different ram sticks and nothing worked. The current ram I have I know works on other ryzen builds. XMP is off. I've never had a problem with this board before. I've done 3 builds with it before. I can work perfectly fine in windows without an overclock but as soon as I even try to put it, the pc turns on but no post and I get the two LED's for cpu and dram.

Just now, SSingiser said:

I tried different ram sticks and nothing worked. The current ram I have I know works on other ryzen builds. XMP is off. I've never had a problem with this board before. I've done 3 builds with it before. I can work perfectly fine in windows without an overclock but as soon as I even try to put it, the pc turns on but no post and I get the two LED's for cpu and dram.

i edited, give North bridge some voltage. you might have been unlucky on your memory controller

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

i edited, give North bridge some voltage. you might have been unlucky on your memory controller

I believe I already did. I had that going to 1.2v if that's the correct thing I was pushing up. All of this still doesn't explain the 65 degrees when I have a that type of cooler on it.

I believe I already did. I had that going to 1.2v if that's the correct thing I was pushing up. All of this still doesn't explain the 65 degrees when I have a that type of cooler on it.

well temps in bios are normally high because none of the power saving features are on. and the fans are also usually at max to counter this (when plugged directly to the motherboard)

I really don't know what it could be. since you say you've tested with other chips and other ram kits and all those work it seems to point towards the chip itself but that's weirdly unlikely

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

4 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

well temps in bios are normally high because none of the power saving features are on. and the fans are also usually at max to counter this (when plugged directly to the motherboard)

I really don't know what it could be. since you say you've tested with other chips and other ram kits and all those work it seems to point towards the chip itself but that's weirdly unlikely

Yeah that's why I'm confused. I'm wondering if it's the cpu but I really have no idea.

Yeah that's why I'm confused. I'm wondering if it's the cpu but I really have no idea.

you don't have another board to test with? I mean you could buy a cheap b350 for a basic test and return it after

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

4 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

you don't have another board to test with? I mean you could buy a cheap b350 for a basic test and return it after

That's not a bad idea. I could swap the stuff from this rig into my rig and see what happens. If that works out, my guess is that it's the mobo

That's not a bad idea. I could swap the stuff from this rig into my rig and see what happens. If that works out, my guess is that it's the mobo

and if you just buy another one of your mobo you can just return the faulty one :ph34r: (not the most honest thing but not everybody cares)

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

and if you just buy another one of your mobo you can just return the faulty one :ph34r: (not the most honest thing but not everybody cares)

Yeah I could care less lol

1700x has a 20c offest in temps, so 65c on the screen is really 45c

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

if everything is up to date there should be no offset. But I have a feeling that maybe you have not installed the latest chipset. Can you go to your power settings and see if you have the Ryzen Power Plan option. 

Current System: MoonLightRyzen

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700x @ 3.9ghz  Board: Asus ROG C6H  Ram: G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 3000mhz  Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 OC in SLI M.2: Samsung 960 Evo 250gb SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512gb x2 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB and 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM850x White  Cooler: XSPC/Phanteks Custom Loop 

Backup System: RedDragonV3.0

FX-8350 @ 4.7ghz, Asus TUF Sabertooth 990fx r3.0, MSI GTX 1060 6gb Gaming X, Crucial Balistix Tracer 32gb, M.2 Samsung 960 Evo 250,

Seagate Firecudda 2tb, Seagate Barracuda 2tb, NZXT S340 Elite White, Kraken X62, Corsair RM750x, Hue+

15 minutes ago, Santo22 said:

if everything is up to date there should be no offset. But I have a feeling that maybe you have not installed the latest chipset. Can you go to your power settings and see if you have the Ryzen Power Plan option. 

Have to stop for the night. I'll be testing again tomorrow so I will update the thread tomorrow on the progress.

Just an update, I updated the chipset and I'm still having problems. I'm curious to know if it could alsozbe a psu problem. Thoughts?

Does the system work normally when it is not overclocked? 

Did you do any stress testing at stock speeds before attempting overclocking?

If you cannot answer those questions I would start by doing that first, if all is stable and temps are fine then try overclocking again.

AMD seems to have been very specific with their binning of the ryzen chips(1800x, 1800, 1700x, 1700) with these 4 chips having a relatively small max frequency spread for the exact same product, they seem to have very limited clock speeds compared to Intel and seem to respond less to overclocking and hit a hard frequency wall between 3.8 and 4.1 GHz hence why AMD charges a premium for their higher clicked chips.

You very simply may have lost the silicon lottery and have a chip that can JUST hit it's stock speeds. It stinks... But overclocking is not guaranteed at all.

I hope you do find some extra frequency!

Good luck!

15 minutes ago, Maxxtraxx said:

You very simply may have lost the silicon lottery and have a chip that can JUST hit it's stock speeds. It stinks... But overclocking is not guaranteed at all.

Good luck!

This is completely possible. I had an i5 4670k that could not break 4.0 Ghz no matter what I did. I lost the silicon lottery, and you very well might have to. You are only guaranteed the stock clocks. Anything beyond that is, well, a lottery.

48 minutes ago, Maxxtraxx said:

Does the system work normally when it is not overclocked? 

Did you do any stress testing at stock speeds before attempting overclocking?

If you cannot answer those questions I would start by doing that first, if all is stable and temps are fine then try overclocking again.

AMD seems to have been very specific with their binning of the ryzen chips(1800x, 1800, 1700x, 1700) with these 4 chips having a relatively small max frequency spread for the exact same product, they seem to have very limited clock speeds compared to Intel and seem to respond less to overclocking and hit a hard frequency wall between 3.8 and 4.1 GHz hence why AMD charges a premium for their higher clicked chips.

Good luck!

Everything works fine without the overclock. My issue I have is that I can't even get the chip to 3.5. Even if I was shit out of luck, I should be able to atleast get it to 3.5. It could very well be it just can't overclock but that's pretty shitty if that's the case.

On 06/12/2017 at 5:15 AM, SquintyG33Rs said:

Not only that, MSI boards are not the best for overclocking... 
Always been a huge fan of Asrock since I love overclocking and they have overclocking on their DNA :D

Actually on their R&D they have overclockers to help developing the models and tuning the bios.