need help with my storage delema

Hello, i need help deciding on how to go about solving my impending storage problem. i have many drives ither in, or attached to my PC, and currently mot of them are between 50 and 90% full. because i dont often dump data as im a bit of an archiver, and local media consumer. i had been contemplating building a multi-use NAS machine using newer hardware, but because of the way ram prices had been, and dont appear to be settling down anytime soon, ive been holding off on buying parts. what i cant decide is: should i continue to wait, and see what the supply line, and prices do, or should i just 'invest' in a DAC or something of that nature. something i can just through some drives in, and clump them together for a massive pool. im looking for about 10TB, of usable space.

thanks in advance.

main/gaming system: intel core i7 5930K, 16GB Gskill ddr4, asus X99 deluxe, 2 titan X's in SLI, corsair AX860 PSU, noctua NH-d15, samsung 512 PRO SSD, 2+3 seagate HDD's, blu-ray ODD, corsair graphite 780t.   game capture system: AMD FX 8350 BE, 16GB ram (left over parts from torn down system), asus ROG crosshair V formula-z, GTX 770 SC, avermedia live gamer HG capture card, elgato HD60 s external usb3 capture device, OCZ 700w, cryorig M9a, kingston 250GB SSD(left over part from torn down system), seagate 1TB internat HDD, seagate backup plus 5TB USB 3 extrenal drive, corsair carbide 200R.    

That's a dumb question I guess but why not buy 2 or 3 more hard drives of 4 TB each and add them to one of your systems?

Just tag @ChatDaw so I can answer as fast as possible.

On 12/2/2017 at 3:56 PM, ChatDaw said:

That's a dumb question I guess but why not buy 2 or 3 more hard drives of 4 TB each and add them to one of your systems?

i have thought about that as a solution, but if i end up having to physically move the drives for some reason, which i can honestly see myself doing, i wouldn't be able to break the raid w/out knowing 100% that everything i would need is off it. which is where the DAC idea comes in, i would be able to actually move the drives w/out the raid breaking, plus, it would act as a more friendly backup solution.

main/gaming system: intel core i7 5930K, 16GB Gskill ddr4, asus X99 deluxe, 2 titan X's in SLI, corsair AX860 PSU, noctua NH-d15, samsung 512 PRO SSD, 2+3 seagate HDD's, blu-ray ODD, corsair graphite 780t.   game capture system: AMD FX 8350 BE, 16GB ram (left over parts from torn down system), asus ROG crosshair V formula-z, GTX 770 SC, avermedia live gamer HG capture card, elgato HD60 s external usb3 capture device, OCZ 700w, cryorig M9a, kingston 250GB SSD(left over part from torn down system), seagate 1TB internat HDD, seagate backup plus 5TB USB 3 extrenal drive, corsair carbide 200R.    

You could go with a dedicated NAS enclosure, a few popular vendors are Synology, QNAP, and ASUSTOR (ASUS' NAS storage division).

You might find some useful pointers and general wealth-of-knowledge from the people over at r/datahoarder as well. It's a fun sub.

Edited by seagate_surfer
Added Datahoarder link

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

On 12/5/2017 at 10:17 AM, seagate_surfer said:

You could go with a dedicated NAS enclosure, a few popular vendors are Synology, QNAP, and ASUSTOR (ASUS' NAS storage division).

You might find some useful pointers and general wealth-of-knowledge from the people over at r/datahoarder as well. It's a fun sub.

thanks for that tidbit, its proven to be helpful so far. though the base of my question still has yet to be completely answered.