Trading 2017 MacBook Pro for desktop. Help and advice is greatly appreciated.

I want to get back into PC gaming (only 1080p@60 for the foreseeable future). I also work (web design) and go to school (motion graphics, a lot of Photoshop and After Effects) I have a 2017 13" MacBook Pro that I want to trade. I have two offers so far. Here they are:

First one:

I7 6700

Gigabyte GTX 1060

16GB DDR4 2400

128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD

GIGABYTE GA-H270-Gaming 3

Apevia X-QTIS-BK Micro ATX Case

(Extras: new iPhone 6s Plus and 27" AOC IPS monitor)

Second one:

i7 4790K (never been over clocked)

Nvidia GTX 1080 Founder's Edition

8GB DDR3

MSI Gaming Mobo (don't have the model number)

256GB Samsung SSD

Corsair water cooler

I am leaning towards the second one because of the GTX 1080, but the CPU is kind of old. Is it still relevant today, it will be better going with the 6700?

Which one should I go with?

Thank you in advance for any and all help, suggestions and advice.

the 4790k is just great! I would opt for more ram in the future if you want really heavy gaming and video editing though. I use the adobe suite with my 4770 and works pretty well. So I'd choose the second one personally. but faster ram and those sweet extras make it hard to choose haha. Also forgot to read 1080p 60hz. Yeah if that's the case then the first one is the better option 

I would go with what spiral said and also say get more ram in the future and if your rendering is a bit slow use the utility in photoshop to direct more resources to your cpu or do a quick and dirty 10% oc

never let fear stand in the way of your terror. 

If you like anything I write feel free to quote and pass it on

however, if you disagree with me and have a strong opinion.....better be riding a fast horse

A 4790k and a 6700 with both at stock clockspeeds perform about the same -- Skylake is about 10% faster than Haswell at the same clockspeeds, but the 4790k is clocked higher. Plus the 4790k can be overclocked to 4.5ghz+, making it faster than a 6700. The downside is that it leaves you with DDR3, which would basically be useless if you upgraded in the future.

From a value standpoint, the first one is better as the 6s Plus should be an easy $300. From a raw performance standpoint, the second is better on both the CPU and GPU fronts. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

10 minutes ago, spiralfuzion said:

the 4790k is just great! I would opt for more ram in the future if you want really heavy gaming and video editing though. I use the adobe suite with my 4770 and works pretty well. So I'd choose the second one personally. but faster ram and those sweet extras make it hard to choose haha. Also forgot to read 1080p 60hz. Yeah if that's the case then the first one is the better option 

Yeah, those extras are nice. I would sell the iPhone and perhaps year it for more RAM.

5 minutes ago, bigjohnthescot said:

I would go with what spiral said and also say get more ram in the future and if your rendering is a bit slow use the utility in photoshop to direct more resources to your cpu or do a quick and dirty 10% oc

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

A 4790k and a 6700 with both at stock clockspeeds perform about the same -- Skylake is about 10% faster than Haswell at the same clockspeeds, but the 4790k is clocked higher. Plus the 4790k can be overclocked to 4.5ghz+, making it faster than a 6700. The downside is that it leaves you with DDR3, which would basically be useless if you upgraded in the future.

Yeah, the RAM is one of my concerns. I could get it pretty cheap now, though...right? I would sell the iPhone and perhaps upgrade the RAM.

you can get ddr3 for basically pocket change these days and if you live in places like Portland Oregon or Vancouver BC they have places like free geek that will be even cheaper also let go craigslist 1 caveat about buying hardware from CG and let go its definitely buyer beware 

never let fear stand in the way of your terror. 

If you like anything I write feel free to quote and pass it on

however, if you disagree with me and have a strong opinion.....better be riding a fast horse