SWAPPING PSUs

bigjohnthescot

Ok, in theory i can just swap my  EVGA 850W GQ 80 Plus Gold Power Supply for a Thermaltake 850 gold RGB but do I need to find a header for the RGB I haven't as of yet opened the box so I don't know if there is a 4 pin for the RGB BUT I am assuming there will be, i have the prime x299deluxe so I don't anticipate there being a lack of RGB headers

never let fear stand in the way of your terror. 

If you like anything I write feel free to quote and pass it on

however, if you disagree with me and have a strong opinion.....better be riding a fast horse

Considering it's a power supply, I would assume that the RGB is controlled internally without needing to plug into a motherboard header. I don't have too much experience with RGB power supplies though, so you could try contacting the manufacturer, or just go for it. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Any PSU that advertised with being VR ready should be avoided imo :D Having said that the RGB is controlled via an USB from your MB to the PSU.

Besides that it does not have a RGB out. Never assume anything. Makes an ass out of u and me :D 

Seems like a pretty pointless swap to be honest. Unless your GQ died/broke, which would make sense.

But the RGB looks to be wirelessly controlled through a mobile app? guessing there's a way to control it through your PC too as there looks to be a micro-usb connector on the psu.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

thanks, guys I am still flip-flopping on whether or not to put it in it's only for the RGB that I bought it for, that and it was on sale for 99 bucks from 179 sometimes 1 click buy can be dangerous:P

never let fear stand in the way of your terror. 

If you like anything I write feel free to quote and pass it on

however, if you disagree with me and have a strong opinion.....better be riding a fast horse