MSI X370 stuck in posting

BoilInBagRis

So I finally got all my parts together https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bdmVhq

Ignore the PSU and the GPU, they will be switched out later but used when I tried to put the system together because I know that they're working.

So I plugged in the RAM which I know works because I have been using it for a few months on an ASUS Prime x-370 Pro with a Ryzen 5 1600.

I installed the CPU with a spare aircooler and plugged the 470 in along with all the bloody power cables.

The system lights up and starts posting but then at code 62 it holds up for a second, flashes through another code and then freezes on E4. I tried booting without RAM, which gives me the correct post code, I booted without GPU which still gets me the E4 code, I booted without proper CPU power and the post stops at 00. I have no clue what to try other than this.

The E4 code isn't listed by MSI anywhere other than "reserved for future AMI code".

When I started to take the system apart I noticed that the 1800x was stuck in the socket. It took some cautious handling to get it out and I was able to restore the pin that had been damaged. I'm wondering if I got a bad board and the socket is flawed in some way.

I know for a fact that all other parts works as I installed them back in the Prime board along with the 1800x.

Now with the parts back in the Prime board, I can tweak the 1800x freely but I can't get my RAM to 2933 MHz. As soon as I try any manual or DOCP OC on the RAM the system fails to boot 2 times and then goes into safe mode. The RAM was no problem getting to 2933 with just the DOCP OC in the bios with the 1600 installed. 

I'm currently in a state of misery not even able to look at all the useless rubbish that I tossed my money on.

Please help me, any and all advice are appreciated.

CPU: R7 1800X GPU: Asus Strix 470 O4G MB: MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium RAM: Team Group Night Hawk 2x8 @ 2933 MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB Case: Corsair Crystal 570x White Fans: 6x Corsair HD120 Fan hub: Corsair Commander Pro RGB Hub: Corsair Lighting Node Pro + 4x LED strips

Sounds like a load of fun. 

Did you try the BIOS Flashback+ thingy? To get to the latest bios?

1 minute ago, sambarr said:

Sounds like a load of fun. 

Did you try the BIOS Flashback+ thingy? To get to the latest bios?

Tons of fun indeed.

I have the flash bios on a stick but I didn't think I'd be able to use it as it requires to go into bios?

CPU: R7 1800X GPU: Asus Strix 470 O4G MB: MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium RAM: Team Group Night Hawk 2x8 @ 2933 MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB Case: Corsair Crystal 570x White Fans: 6x Corsair HD120 Fan hub: Corsair Commander Pro RGB Hub: Corsair Lighting Node Pro + 4x LED strips

Just now, BoilInBagRis said:

Tons of fun indeed.

I have the flash bios on a stick but I didn't think I'd be able to use it as it requires to go into bios?

Easy BIOS recovery without the need of a CPU, memory and VGA card

Check your manual

https://service.msicomputer.com/msi_user/support/TechFAQdetail.aspx?formid=3534

FAT32 formatted flash drive with "the BIOS file to MSI.ROM" to the root of USB flash drive

Connect power 24pin + 8pin connectors and press the flashback button on the motherboard "Flashb1" 

When the LED stops flashing, you're good to go (takes about 1 minute)

Trying it right now, however the MSI site servers are about as good as a potato so it's really hard getting anywhere. Haven't been able to find a qvl

18 minutes ago, BoilInBagRis said:

Now with the parts back in the Prime board, I can tweak the 1800x freely but I can't get my RAM to 2933 MHz. As soon as I try any manual or DOCP OC on the RAM the system fails to boot 2 times and then goes into safe mode. The RAM was no problem getting to 2933 with just the DOCP OC in the bios with the 1600 installed. 

I'm currently in a state of misery not even able to look at all the useless rubbish that I tossed my money on.

Please help me, any and all advice are appreciated.

this issue with ram reaching 2933 with 1600 but not the 1800x is silicon lottery unfortunately

ryzen silicon lottery is less based on clock speed like intel cpus but rather seen more on the memory controller, normally the x cpus have better binned memory controllers, there are exceptions to this obviously, like your 1600 memory controller vs your 1800x

hope to have cleared this up, if the pin gets bent from the new motherboard, get an rma on it and see if they can refund the "broken" cpu/send a new one

and...

play the lottery again

1 minute ago, BoilInBagRis said:

Trying it right now, however the MSI site servers are about as good as a potato so it's really hard getting anywhere. Haven't been able to find a qvl

Yeah I have the same issue right now.

I downloaded it yesterday just in case I would run into this problem. Now I get error code d2 instead which is pch initialization error

2 minutes ago, BoilInBagRis said:

I downloaded it yesterday just in case I would run into this problem. Now I get error code d2 instead which is pch initialization error

I don't even know wtf PCH is...

(Stupid question) Did you try clear cmos?

2 minutes ago, sambarr said:

I don't even know wtf PCH is...

(Stupid question) Did you try clear cmos?

Only about 15 or so times hehe

Just now, BoilInBagRis said:

Only about 15 or so times hehe

Lol. If you don't have another CPU or ram to test, hum.... you COULD rollback to an older bios and test again, but....

RMA time.... possibly.

I tested with the 1600 now, that's the one that got the same error and then after flashing, got d2 instead. 

I do not have any other ddr4 ram laying around but I think I can get a hold of some. My biggest concern is that the prime mobo that the 1800x now resides in is supposed to be returned to the seller in 2 days bc Asus is giving me the money back since the RGB on the mobo doesn't function properly so I'll probably end up with no computer at all on Friday and that's after spending countless hours and a couple thousand dollars on this electric junk. Getting a Playstation and a MacBook next time around

"D2 --> Verify the boot block checksum.  System will hang here if checksum is bad."

OK so the bios boot block is corrupted? Hmmmmm. :|

Anyway... that's a super-old post from 2009 ... not the most reliable thing, but it's on MSI forums.

8 hours ago, sambarr said:

"D2 --> Verify the boot block checksum.  System will hang here if checksum is bad."

OK so the bios boot block is corrupted? Hmmmmm. :|

Anyway... that's a super-old post from 2009 ... not the most reliable thing, but it's on MSI forums.

Apparently E4 has to do with Ram according to an msi employee. However I got past the E4 when I flashed the bios so I'm not sure how reliable that is. 

Amazon.de has accepted the RMA and are sending me a new board as I type.

However the damage to the CPU isn't covered by Amazon and they instead asked me to turn toward MSI since it is their faulty product that has caused the damage.

I have e-mailed MSI but have still not received a response, probably because they don't want to pay for it.

If it's just a pin that you pulled back to its position, it's not as big of a deal as long as the CPU still works. Anyway good for you for the RMA on amazon. At least it'll be quick.