[?] HD 600 vs. HD 700, sound-card and amps

Kyzer
Go to solution Solved by Max_Settings,
7 minutes ago, Kyzer said:

so for BEST audio quality for my price range, modi 2 + valhalla 2?

Also, is that 300 degree thing an issue? Do i have to cool those some way?

“Best” is subjective, and a loose term. Tubes I wouldn’t say are “Best” they are different from solid state, and people like how they change the sound. For consistency and accuracy go with solid state. And no the 300 degree thing is normal. You actually have to wait for the tubes to reach that temperature otherwise your Amp is going to sound all wrong. It also makes it where you have to lay the Amp flat, and it’s a big Amp, because if you lay it on its end to place it upright the heat from the lower tubes rises and heats up the upper tubes and you get a channel imbalance. Honestly I would go with the Modi 2 Magni 3 stack. You are just getting into the audiophile world, you don’t need to go insane with high end tubes and stuff like that. The Magni 3 is advertised as “the only Amp you’ll ever need” honestly that’s true. It will drive any headphone, and it’s very clean. Unless you want to get into tubes or balanced, You really don’t need anything else. Take that, for $200 you’d be set and they are small and can be stacked so they don’t take up much desk space.

I've heard that the HD 700's have some weird sound issues. Don't know much about it.

Anyway, HD 600 + Sound-card, or HD 700 + $200 AMP/DAC? I know that the HD 700's need an amp (apparently), I'll just assume that a sound-card isn't enough for those, unless that's dependent on the sound-card.

Sound-card in question

Something to mention about the card is that the amps are replaceable (I've seen someone put tube-amps or something on them before somewhere). Specs-wise, the card is apparently capable of driving even HD 800s (judging by impedence), but that's not what I'm asking here. What I'm asking is, is it enough to drive HD 700s? and can you not talk about how much better DAC/AMPs are without actually knowing anything about the card?

Honestly, a card is more fitting to what I want, since it won't take up any desk space, and I'd prefer to stay away from used things. I'm ok with getting a DAC/AMP, but I don't see how any $200 combo would be better than one $200 sound-card. I could see a difference with a $300 combo vs. a $200 card, but it seems to me that HD 600s don't really need that much to drive them from some things I've looked at.

I guess I should explain that the budget is ~$600-$650, which is why I've been saying HD 700 + $200 or HD 600 + $300.

EDIT: I don't use fake surround on my headphones. Stereo only.

But first, let's talk about parallel universes.

Spoiler

Intel i7-4790k undervolt, NVidia EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Reference, NVidia EVGA GTX 480 SC Reference, ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, SK Hynix SL308 240GB, WD Green 2TB, Hynix 1333 8GB (4x2), XFX Core Pro 850w, NH-U12S, 4x NF-F12's, Sennheiser HD 558's, Blue Yeti, Corsair K70 (red), Logitech MX Master, XBox One Controller, ASUS VG248QE 144Hz, HP 2010i

HD700s are not a good headphone IMO. Also sound cards are all crap, Dac/Amps are much better. If you don't mind waiting getting the HD6XXs from Massdrop. Otherwise get the HD600s or HD650s (depending on what kind of sound signature you want) and then get a Schiit Magni 3 and Modi 2.

18 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

HD700s are not a good headphone IMO. Also sound cards are all crap, Dac/Amps are much better. If you don't mind waiting getting the HD6XXs from Massdrop. Otherwise get the HD600s or HD650s (depending on what kind of sound signature you want) and then get a Schiit Magni 3 and Modi 2.

someone mentioned before valhalla 2 + some schiit thing. dont know which one.

Spoiler

Intel i7-4790k undervolt, NVidia EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Reference, NVidia EVGA GTX 480 SC Reference, ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, SK Hynix SL308 240GB, WD Green 2TB, Hynix 1333 8GB (4x2), XFX Core Pro 850w, NH-U12S, 4x NF-F12's, Sennheiser HD 558's, Blue Yeti, Corsair K70 (red), Logitech MX Master, XBox One Controller, ASUS VG248QE 144Hz, HP 2010i

someone mentioned before valhalla 2 + some schiit thing. dont know which one.

Valhalla 2 + Modi 2. Valhalla 2 is a bit more money and with that the combination would push over $600 unless you buy the HD6XXs.

3 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Valhalla 2 + Modi 2. Valhalla 2 is a bit more money and with that the combination would push over $600 unless you buy the HD6XXs.

HD 6XX vs HD600 vs HD650?

looking around i found that some found the 600's to be a little more natural while they would swap over to the 650's if they had the option. 6xx?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Kyzer said:

HD 6XX vs HD600 vs HD650?

looking around i found that some found the 600's to be a little more natural while they would swap over to the 650's if they had the option. 6xx?

6XXs are 650s with a different paint job. They are less neutral than the 600s, but they sacrifice neutrality for more low end and sound stage. The 600s are a boring headphone for pleasure listening, as with most extremely neutral headphones. Mastering they are amazing, but most people prefer the 650s for pleasure listening because of the increased sound stage, more bass, and less fatiguing highs. The 600s are some of the narrowest open headphones there are, and they are very bass light. The 650s have a moderate sound stage, and more bass than the 600s, but still not a ton compared to a lot of headphones. But the 650s are a legendary headphone that very few people dislike.

2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

6XXs are 650s with a different paint job. They are less neutral than the 600s, but they sacrifice neutrality for more low end and sound stage. The 600s are a boring headphone for pleasure listening, as with most extremely neutral headphones. Mastering they are amazing, but most people prefer the 650s for pleasure listening because of the increased sound stage, more bass, and less fatiguing highs. The 600s are some of the narrowest open headphones there are, and they are very bass light. The 650s have a moderate sound stage, and more bass than the 600s, but still not a ton compared to a lot of headphones. But the 650s are a legendary headphone that very few people dislike.

im coming from hd558's, where the only thing im bothered by is the lack of detail in faster parts. where's the next best thats similar?

Spoiler

Just now, Kyzer said:

im coming from hd558's, where the only thing im bothered by is the lack of detail in faster parts. where's the next best thats similar?

Not quite sure what you mean by that. And it may not be your headphones, it could also be your music. If you are listening to MP3s that can happen. You need to listen to high quality formats like FLAC or OOG Vorbis

3 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Not quite sure what you mean by that. And it may not be your headphones, it could also be your music. If you are listening to MP3s that can happen. You need to listen to high quality formats like FLAC or OOG Vorbis

...dunno

What's better, 650 or 600 for games / music (Stairway to Heaven, AC/DC stuff, Metallica, some random house tracks..)

EDIT: Better, as in detail and real-sounding

Spoiler

Just now, Kyzer said:

...dunno

What's better, 650 or 600 for games / music (Stairway to Heaven, AC/DC stuff, Metallica, some random house tracks..)

EDIT: Better, as in detail and real-sounding

650s. Much more pleasing sound for music, and for gaming you want more bass. You would find the very light bass of the 600s underwhelming if you play any kind of FPS games. 

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

650s. Much more pleasing sound for music, and for gaming you want more bass. You would find the very light bass of the 600s underwhelming if you play any kind of FPS games. 

recommended dac/amp for those? used might be fine, depends on the seller.

are 650's and 6XX exactly the same?

Spoiler

Also don’t confuse neutrality with detail. Neutrality is how accurate a headphone reproduces sound exactly compared to the original source. At first this might sound good on paper, but in practice most people don’t enjoy extremely flat headphones. They like a little extra bass or treble or mids, something that brings some extra life into the music. This is totally separate from detail, which actually also has a lot to do with your DAC.

Also don’t confuse neutrality with detail. Neutrality is how accurate a headphone reproduces sound exactly compared to the original source. At first this might sound good on paper, but in practice most people don’t enjoy extremely flat headphones. They like a little extra bass or treble or mids, something that brings some extra life into the music. This is totally separate from detail, which actually also has a lot to do with your DAC.

again though, DAC/AMP for 650s? modi 2 valhalla 2?

Games I play are Overwatch, WoT, and etc.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Kyzer said:

recommended dac/amp for those? used might be fine, depends on the seller.

are 650's and 6XX exactly the same?

2 differences. 650s are gunmetal, 6XXs are midnight blue. 650s have a 10ft 1/4in cable, 6XXs have a 6ft 3.5mm cable with a 1/4 adapter (not that it matters much because they are replaceable cables)

As for DAC and Amp recommendations, for the DAC there are really only 2 choices you should really consider unless you are getting into high end stuff or have specialty use cases. The Schiit Modi 2 and the JDS Labs OL DAC. As for an Amp the Schiit Magni 3 is the best value and extremely popular. Another favorite of mine is the Aune X7S for the balanced output and class A power. The Schiit Valhalla 2 is probably one of the best Amps for the 650s, because those headphones love tubes. That would be my top pick for these, but it’s expensive and you have to deal with tube problems, for instance the 300 degree temperature they reach.

If you want a more detailed comparison I can explain further but that was more of a TL;DR post.

If you want a more detailed comparison I can explain further but that was more of a TL;DR post.

Spoiler

“Best” is subjective, and a loose term. Tubes I wouldn’t say are “Best” they are different from solid state, and people like how they change the sound. For consistency and accuracy go with solid state. And no the 300 degree thing is normal. You actually have to wait for the tubes to reach that temperature otherwise your Amp is going to sound all wrong. It also makes it where you have to lay the Amp flat, and it’s a big Amp, because if you lay it on its end to place it upright the heat from the lower tubes rises and heats up the upper tubes and you get a channel imbalance. Honestly I would go with the Modi 2 Magni 3 stack. You are just getting into the audiophile world, you don’t need to go insane with high end tubes and stuff like that. The Magni 3 is advertised as “the only Amp you’ll ever need” honestly that’s true. It will drive any headphone, and it’s very clean. Unless you want to get into tubes or balanced, You really don’t need anything else. Take that, for $200 you’d be set and they are small and can be stacked so they don’t take up much desk space.

Edited by Max_Settings

thanks for that

Questions;

1: 650 and 6xx are EXACTLY the same?

2: Can magni + modi drive 700's?

3: Why are the 700's bad? Just not good in general?

Spoiler

when i say same, i mean quality wise

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Kyzer said:

thanks for that

Questions;

1: 650 and 6xx are EXACTLY the same?

2: Can magni + modi drive 700's?

3: Why are the 700's bad? Just not good in general?

1. Yes the 6XXs and 650s are exactly the same sound wise

2. Yes the Magni 3 can drive the 700s they are easier to drive than the 650, and like I said the Magni 3 can drive anything except 2 headphones, Hifiman HE6s, and AKG K240 Studio 600ohm

3. The HD700s are not a well liked headphone by a lot of people. They try everything they can to sound big and impressive with massive soundstage and production space. Unfortunately what happened was it lost a lot of detail in doing that and got a sort of a muddy sound with over the top highs. Also the headband is a thick heavy piece of rubber that is so heavy. With their very loose clamp you can’t wear 700s and look down, they will fall off your head. Also the stock cables is too long, thick, stiff, and heavy. It’s unusable and has to be replaced.

There are many people who don't like HD700. HD600 in general is just a more popular headphone.

I don't know if you're trying to spend all your budget, or just trying to get the best bang for the buck. Honestly you can just get a DT880 250ohm which will cost less than HD600 (DT880 is $160 in amazon) and it'll just sound as good. I personally prefer DT880 over HD600 because the bass just extends more and you get more detail

As for amp / dac, you can just get schiit fulla 2. It's really small and will provide enough power to most headphones at your budget