I have questions with RAM...

Hello, thanks for reading my post. I am going to build a pc soon, and I am wondering is it really worth it to spend a lot more money to go for DDR4 4500MHz speed that costs the bank itself, or just going for the baseline, DDR4 2133MHz? I am building a budget pc around 1100-1200 dollars. Also, can any modern DDR4 RAM fit with any modern motherboard? I have seen different types of ram covers, like some ram (Kingston) does not have any cover and looks like a cheap piece of a motherboard and others have cool covers on top, but they are both the same speeds and types... should I go for a cheaper Kingston ram or a little bit more expensive HyperX with the same speeds? And the last question... really should have numbered these... Would you rather get 8GB of really fast DDR4 4500MHz RAM or 16gb of the baseline DDR4 2133MHz RAM?

Thanks, please help if you can. (:

Edited by Jordan Rage

6 minutes ago, Jordan Rage said:

Hello, thanks for reading my post. I am going to build a pc soon, and I am wondering is it really worth it to spend a lot more money to go for DDR4 4500MHz speed that costs the bank itself, or just going for the baseline, DDR4 2133MHz? I am building a budget pc around 1100-1200 dollars. Also, can any modern DDR4 RAM fit with any modern motherboard? And the last question... really should have numbered these... Would you rather get 8GB of really fast DDR4 4500MHz RAM or 16gb of the baseline DDR4 2133MHz RAM?

The sweet spot is 3000-3200mhz. The performance bump that you get there over something like 2666mhz for nearly every task that I can think of is fairly minor. All modern DDR4 will physically fit with every motherboard that is rated for DDR4, but not every motherboard will be able to run your RAM at those speeds. I would get 16gb of 2666-3200mhz. Past that you're paying a whole lot for some numbers that have little no real benefits in real world applications. Furthermore, the CAS latency rises greatly (usually). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency

The lower the CAS latency, the better! But you also want high frequency too. There should be an equation in that link I sent. But again, just pick up some G.Skill or Corsair 2666-3200mhz 16-18 CAS RAM. Cheers! :D

NOTE: RAM is already extremely expensive right now due to worldwide shortgages (yay...). That means that you'll be paying a whole heck of a lot more for RAM than normal. Therefore, high speed RAM will be even more overpriced than it should be. 

RAM speed hardly makes a difference in most tasks including gaming. Stick with ~2500 speed and you should be fine

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

Also, RAM prices are currently major BS. Might be worth waiting a bit for the prices to drop back down to something more normal. No idea when that will be, though

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

8 minutes ago, Jordan Rage said:

Hello, thanks for reading my post. I am going to build a pc soon, and I am wondering is it really worth it to spend a lot more money to go for DDR4 4500MHz speed that costs the bank itself, or just going for the baseline, DDR4 2133MHz? I am building a budget pc around 1100-1200 dollars. Also, can any modern DDR4 RAM fit with any modern motherboard? And the last question... really should have numbered these... Would you rather get 8GB of really fast DDR4 4500MHz RAM or 16gb of the baseline DDR4 2133MHz RAM?

for Intel 2400 mhz or lower for ryzen 3000-3200 mhz, ryzen chips love faster ram while Intel says: I DON'T CARE!

ask me about your system builds, AIO's, CPU's, PSU's, and GPU's.

1 minute ago, Jordan Rage said:

Thank you, mister CrippledROBOT

You betcha! If you thought that was helpful, select the post as "solved" so other users can see! :)

1 minute ago, Railgun said:

Also, RAM prices are currently major BS. Might be worth waiting a bit for the prices to drop back down to something more normal. No idea when that will be, though

thanks, I am really impatient, i will just get 2666MHz 16GB since it's the same price a 2133 version

1 minute ago, CrippledROBOT said:

You betcha! If you thought that was helpful, select the post as "solved" so other users can see! :)

not sure it is absolutely solved though just yet

2 minutes ago, Jordan Rage said:

thanks, I am really impatient, i will just get 2666MHz 16GB since it's the same price a 2133 version

I was going to suggest that but things move quickly here! A bit of speed never hurts, but it isn't worth paying tons for the ultra high speed stuff unless you know you really need it, or you want it for bragging rights. 2666 is a happy medium. There's an indirect advantage to lower speed ram too - it will almost certainly work. With high speed modules (3000+) mobo compatibility is a lottery.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I am using a Ryzen-MSI build theme on my pc, what would you suggest for an AMD Ryzen 3 1300X and a MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti when it comes to ram speeds?

I'd recommend faster ram like 3000-3200 for ryzen but perhaps for intel you could find a sweet spot somewhere a little lower, but above 3200 does not seem very practical.

3 minutes ago, BigSchweetie said:

I'd recommend faster ram like 3000-3200 for ryzen but perhaps for intel you could find a sweet spot somewhere a little lower, but above 3200 does not seem very practical.

I don't have the money for such high speeds, I NEED 16gb of ram at least

In my opinion, given the relatively lower compute potential of that CPU having faster ram is less of a necessity. On Ryzen ram speeds affect two things: the ram bandwidth, and also the speed at which parts of the CPU run at. It is more for the latter part that higher speed ram could be beneficial, but again I still wouldn't worry about it much for that model. If you needed the performance, it would probably be better to stretch for a higher CPU model than spend it on expensive high speed ram.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible