Building a 1500$ USD pc for a friend

r3zoar

So im building a pc for a friend with a budget of 1500$ USD. Was just wondering yours guys opinions on the parts so far....

CPU: I7-7700k

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270E GAMING

Ram: Corsair vengeance LPX 32gb DDR4 2400

GPU: Gigabyte gtx 1080

PSU: Corsair HXi 850i

And for hard drive ands ssds they can buy a few on their own as they upgrade.

what do you guys think of that build so far?

get an 8600k or 8700k instead of the 7700k, and they'll need at least one ssd or hdd for a boot drive.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Too much ram, good motherboard, an OK CPU (I would recommend a newer one with your budget though) and the PSU is okay, if you want to overclock maybe get a better one.

2 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

get an 8600k or 8700k instead of the 7700k, and they'll need at least one ssd or hdd for a boot drive.

They can afford to get an ssd for a boot drive on the side, im trying to just cram as much raw power as I can into the build. Also the 8700k costs a fair ammount more.

2 minutes ago, DeemoLeaks said:

Too much ram, good motherboard, an OK CPU (I would recommend a newer one with your budget though) and the PSU is okay, if you want to overclock maybe get a better one.

Im worried that the ram will be bottlenecking the gpu if its only at 16.

1 minute ago, r3zoar said:

They can afford to get an ssd for a boot drive on the side, im trying to just cram as much raw power as I can into the build. Also the 8700k costs a fair ammount more.

Im worried that the ram will be bottlenecking the gpu if its only at 16.

if the 8700k is too expensive than get the 8600k, the 7700k has no upgrade path. also, unless they're doing heavy editing/rendering tasks, they don't need 32gb of ram. 16gb is enough.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

5 minutes ago, DeemoLeaks said:

the PSU is okay, if you want to overclock maybe get a better one.

What drugs have you been taking? xD

The HXi is a very high end PSU. 

:)

3 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

if the 8700k is too expensive than get the 8600k, the 7700k has no upgrade path. also, unless they're doing heavy editing/rendering tasks, they don't need 32gb of ram. 16gb is enough.

They plan to use it as a primary gaming pc, but on the side as an editing pc for light media work / photoshop.

59 minutes ago, seon123 said:

What drugs have you been taking? xD

The HXi is a very high end PSU. 

I'm not saying it isn't, but there are better for the price range. If he's not as hardcore as I had anticipated I would take back my statement but I don't know much of his situation my apologies.

They plan to use it as a primary gaming pc, but on the side as an editing pc for light medic work / photoshop.

for light photoshop they likely wouldn't need so much, 16gb should be fine.

1 minute ago, DeemoLeaks said:

I'm not saying it isn't, but there are better for the price range.

That wasn't what you were saying. You were saying that he should get a higher end one. And for $130, the only one that is actually better is probably the Prime Titanium 650W

56 minutes ago, seon123 said:

That wasn't what you were saying. You were saying that he should get a higher end one. And for $130, the only one that is actually better is probably the Prime Titanium 650W

When did I ever said that it was bad or not high end? I have seen better for the price range, and if people are willing to put in a little bit more they get get something fantastic. Never did I say it was bad or something that was unusable, I just said that I thought it was okay, but if over-clocking it (this chip already being one that gets super hot stock) he would need a better one. I know what I said.

Just now, DeemoLeaks said:

When did I ever said that it was bad or not high end? I have seen better for the price range, and if people are willing to put in a little bit more they get get something fantastic. Never did I say it was bad or something that was unusable, I just said that I thought it was okay. Don't twist my words if you have your own interpretation of them.

@deemoleaks

@seon123

Can we not try to get into an arguement about PSU's they are only slightly different most of the time, a PSU is a PSU. I would appreciate some helpfull comments here instead of an arguement thanks.

Just now, r3zoar said:

@DeemoLeaks

@seon123

Can we not try to get into an arguement about PSU's they are only slightly different most of the time, a PSU is a PSU. I would appreciate some helpfull comments here instead of an arguement thanks.

12 minutes ago, DeemoLeaks said:

the PSU is okay, if you want to overclock maybe get a better one

1 minute ago, DeemoLeaks said:

When did I ever said that it was bad or not high end? I have seen better for the price range, and if people are willing to put in a little bit more they get get something fantastic. Never did I say it was bad or something that was unusable, I just said that I thought it was okay. Don't twist my words if you have your own interpretation of them.

It was sort of what you implied. Something like a Focus Plus or G2 550W would be plenty. 

52 minutes ago, seon123 said:

It was sort of what you implied. Something like a Focus Plus or G2 550W would be plenty. 

I didn't imply such a thing, I said that his was fine but if he was going to overclock a ALREADY hot chip he should dish out just a little for a better one, before you message back about what you THINK I implied, a simple asking for clarification would have sufficed. Regardless, I stand by my original statement.

53 minutes ago, r3zoar said:

@deemoleaks

@seon123

Apologies for the unnecessary banter.

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Pretty much what @herman mcpootis said. 8600K and 16GB RAM. What are the rest of the components?

And of course that hxi 850i pus

And of course that hxi 850i pus

How about the CPU cooler, SSD, HDD and case? You live in the US? So PCPP prices?

4 minutes ago, r3zoar said:

The motherboard and GPU are great, I recommend getting a case with good ventilation and if you can custom water cooling would make your friend go crazy (In a good way). The ram is super unnecessary unless your friend is doing some hardcore video editing or graphical rendering -- I would rather you put the extra cash into another component rather than using ram your friend might never use -- Worse case scenario he buys another stick of ram if he needs it.

Just now, seon123 said:

How about the CPU cooler, SSD, HDD and case? You live in the US? So PCPP prices?

They have told me they have a specific case in mind alreeady, have not yet asked them which one. The ssd will be added on the side by them for the boot drive. And for the cooler I was just thinking a coolermaster hyper 212 evo

57 minutes ago, r3zoar said:

They have told me they have a specific case in mind alreeady, have not yet asked them which one. The ssd will be added on the side by them for the boot drive. And for the cooler I was just thinking a coolermaster hyper 212 evo

This won't help performance but LED strips really make a computer look more refined. Look into it he might really like it ;)

About the 212 evo, I'm personally not a fan, you can get a cheaper one that works just as good.

the 212 evo isn't very good for the price, the cryorig M9 is cheaper and smaller yet performs the same. I'd recommend a cryorig H5 or enermax T50.

23 minutes ago, r3zoar said:

If the case is mATX or SFF, that could interfere with the motherboard size and/or the cooler height. 

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

If the case is mATX or SFF, that could interfere with the motherboard size and/or the cooler height. 

Like I said not sure the exact case I will have to ask them later, but I know how to properly size the case vs the motherboard and cooler. Ill be good but thanks.