8TB Seagate Barracuda HDD making odd noise

whackojacko

so a few days ago I got this HDD and cloned my previous one to it, got this one to full size, put it in, etc. everything is perfect except for one thing; it's noisy. any time it's on, it makes a constant kind of grinding or clicking noise that's causing me some concern, aside from it being pretty annoying.

was just wondering if this is really a sign of failure or something common. here's a video I took of the noise: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6meu7xzo0ij6jyy/NOISE.MOV?dl=0

7 minutes ago, kingharlow said:

so a few days ago I got this HDD and cloned my previous one to it, got this one to full size, put it in, etc. everything is perfect except for one thing; it's noisy. any time it's on, it makes a constant kind of grinding or clicking noise that's causing me some concern, aside from it being pretty annoying.

was just wondering if this is really a sign of failure or something common. here's a video I took of the noise: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6meu7xzo0ij6jyy/NOISE.MOV?dl=0

It's probably just a noisy drive. And case is probably amplifying vibrations.

Drive can still work fine though. The Dell that me and my parents used for years had a very noisy 80GB drive that was OK, even 8 years on when it was eventually retired.

I'd imagine all those platters in that 8TB unit would get very loud.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

yeah that's what I was thinking. is any way to deal with or lessen the sound?

Thanks for posting a vid with the sound. That makes it way easier to diagnose. It does just sound like a noisy drive. You can always run a disk check soft ware like this one from passmark. As for noise control you can: install small o-rings at the mounting points provided there is enough clearance, install some heavy noise dampener in your case, or move the hard drive to a different part of the case depending on how handy you are.

Mind if I ask what you used to clone the drive? Can it clone everything including OS? That's actually why I came into the forums today.

5 hours ago, Gravesnear said:

Thanks for posting a vid with the sound. That makes it way easier to diagnose. It does just sound like a noisy drive. You can always run a disk check soft ware like this one from passmark. As for noise control you can: install small o-rings at the mounting points provided there is enough clearance, install some heavy noise dampener in your case, or move the hard drive to a different part of the case depending on how handy you are.

Mind if I ask what you used to clone the drive? Can it clone everything including OS? That's actually why I came into the forums today.

I used Macrium Reflect (free version) and it worked great. I had a little trouble since I forgot to tick an option beforehand that would leave no unallocated space, but I dealt with that pretty easily afterward so it was no real trouble. overall I would recommend that over paying $50 for some other software, as it does pretty much anything you need it to do when it comes to cloning.

for me specifically, I cloned a 3TB GPT to this newer 8TB GPT and it was very simple to do so. really the only chance of error is if you're not careful setting up (double checking source and destination disks are right, ticking settings you want, etc).

anyway, thanks for the suggestions! it's gotten a bit quieter since yesterday but it still can have fits of noisiness, so I'll be looking into the things you talked about.

On 11/26/2017 at 3:02 PM, kingharlow said:

yeah that's what I was thinking. is any way to deal with or lessen the sound?

image.png.07d728f02ad7317513e88729f18b2613.png suspend them. Or get some sort of foam to rest it on.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III